Rumored Big News

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Rumored Big News

Post by WHG »

Appears there's something big in the works. There is a lot of cryptic tweeting etc...about something really big happening.

It could just be the long rumored WWE/Evolve deal, but in a WON Board thread titled "So what's the next chapter in this WWE/ROH war?" Meltzer chimed in with a pretty ominous quote:
Okay, that's not the next chapter, that's the current chapter.

Next chapter was described to me from someone close to the situation as "They'll never see what's coming next."

Granted, that came from someone who didn't know I'd already read the current chapter so it could be the same thing, or a new thing.
When people asked if this was all a result of the stupid toy deal, Dave said:
It's because WWE made the decision that they are doing touring Internet-fan shows called NXT and that ROH therefore becomes No.1 competition. This was before ROH got TV, the toy deal and managed to book Dallas city proper for Mania weekend next year. However, all of those things no doubt exacerbated the situation.
supersonic

Re: Rumored Big News

Post by supersonic »

It's great to see ROH can get to WWE in a way that TNA never could.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Dave also posted this
Phone rings at building ROH books: "Hello, this is ----- from WWE. We love your building and would like to run it."

Building rep: But it's only 1,500 seats and you don't run buildings this size

WWE rep: Well, we have this new brand catering to smaller buildings and we just love your building.

Building rep: We'd love to have you.

WWE rep: Well, there is one thing.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Burnside wrote:Dave also posted this
Phone rings at building ROH books: "Hello, this is ----- from WWE. We love your building and would like to run it."

Building rep: But it's only 1,500 seats and you don't run buildings this size

WWE rep: Well, we have this new brand catering to smaller buildings and we just love your building.

Building rep: We'd love to have you.

WWE rep: Well, there is one thing.

That is an anti-trust violation. It is called exclusive dealing . Very illegal.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Did that law apply in November 1987 for PPV providers?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Funny how WCW never ran Madison Square Garden.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

What building does ROH regularly run that would be missed? Maybe the Arena?
damasta414

Post by damasta414 »

WWE needs to book a NXT show at Turner Hall in Milwaukee.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

If WWE really is committing anti-trust violations I really hope someone fights them tooth and nail on it, both as an ROH fan and as someone who believes that corporations in general need to be cracked down on
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't WWE specifically not book the ECW Arena due to it being too small? I'm just trying to find out if they really have used their power to screw ROH out of a building.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Realistically, NXT has outgrown ROH's venues in most markets already. If they ran Turner Hall, they'd be leaving money on the table.

I think the venue NXT ran in Philly got mixed reviews, so I could see a scenario where NXT locks up the 2300 Arena and spoils ROH's plans to run Final Battle there...but big fucking deal, they'd just go back to the armory. It's not like fighting with WCW over a city's basketball or hockey arena.

They looked at running there (2300 Arena) before but did opt to run a larger theater downtown. It was bigger, but I know they had trouble filling it.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

WHG wrote:Realistically, NXT has outgrown ROH's venues in most markets already. If they ran Turner Hall, they'd be leaving money on the table.

I think the venue NXT ran in Philly got mixed reviews, so I could see a scenario where NXT locks up the 2300 Arena and spoils ROH's plans to run Final Battle there...but big fucking deal, they'd just go back to the armory. It's not like fighting with WCW over a city's basketball or hockey arena.

They looked at running there (2300 Arena) before but did opt to run a larger theater downtown. It was bigger, but I know they had trouble filling it.
Even if they had trouble filling it I'm assuming they still made more money off it. But maybe they didn't, I'm not aware of the costs of renting the venues.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

WHG wrote:
It could just be the long rumored WWE/Evolve deal, but in a WON Board thread titled "So what's the next chapter in this WWE/ROH war?"
It's not really a war since ROH didn't, and realistically can't, fight one with WWE. That would be like saying the mom and pop operation just declared war on Wal Mart by opening a store down the street from them. It's more like an egotistical megalomaniacal control freak decided he wanted to kick someone's teeth in for daring to breathe the same air he does, since, you know, that's his air you're breathing.

I'm trying to come up with a reason to feel bad once Vinnie Mac finally kicks the bucket, but all I can come up with is 'he'll no longer be converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, which is good for plants', and frankly that just doesn't cut it.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

supersonic wrote:Did that law apply in November 1987 for PPV providers?
Yes . JCP should have taken the WWE to court. Only Major League Baseball has an anti- trust exemption. The stunt McMahon pulled with the PPV 's was illegal. You cannot fix markets via exclusive dealing. We live in a free market system . The playing field . is suppose to be level for any business to fair opportunity to succeed . That goes for the Madison Square Garden deal too

McMahon has not been challenged by rival promoters on these matters . In reality companies. commit anti-trust violations everyday , they are just hardly ever taken to court. However there is no legal , moral or ethical justification for McMahon 's actions during his business career . No one man or company should be above the law .

On top of all that he puts out a terrible product .
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

This is why even though they are/were carnies too, I admire folks like Lesnar, Brooks, and Hellwig. No putting up with illegal bullshit.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:It's great to see ROH can get to WWE in a way that TNA never could.
It's really amazing.
jbroderway

Post by jbroderway »

How many times has meltzer been wrong?

And while I'm on it, how long is it going to take before people start wondering where the roster from NXT comes from?
When they start digging, and realize that the WWE absolutely neuters every star they've signed, NXT will cool down.
Honestly, how many good things has the WWE killed within its own company over the last few years?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

jbroderway wrote:How many times has meltzer been wrong?

And while I'm on it, how long is it going to take before people start wondering where the roster from NXT comes from?
When they start digging, and realize that the WWE absolutely neuters every star they've signed, NXT will cool down.
Honestly, how many good things has the WWE killed within its own company over the last few years?
That's being just a tad bit over dramatic. The company is changing, slowly but surely, because even Vince is seeing the value of the NXT brand.

With Cena being phased out of the main event I could see someone like Finn or Sami being the new top guy in the next year or so.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

A) Meltzer is rarely wrong. Things do change. Nothing he can do about that.

B) Cena will be back in the main event. I can't really see Finn being a top guy because he doesn't have the mic skills right now, and he won't be out of NXT until after Mania at the earliest IMO. Same with Sami...they need guys to carry the NXT brand, and until they get those new guys to do that...Sami and Finn, as well as Hideo will be down in NXT.

Rollins and Reigns are the top guys now. That's not going to change for a while. Owens is next up to bat.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

NXT will draw in their first market and then quickly burn out. No matter what people think they still don't get why these shows are drawing interest in the first place. They are not doing what needs to be done to replace the people who have been called up. Just look at Tough Enough and people who were trying out this past week at the performance center. They are still caught up in thinking looks, size and people they can start from scratch are better than anything. They had a tryout camp last month with notable Indy names and nobody has been offered a deal except for maybe TMDK. Bringing in TMDK is no shocker given that they always go for people who can bring international flavor. Not to mention the NXT show has been more WWEized since Mania. With all this said I think they will draw less people for shows when they return to these markets.