Supercard of Honor X - April 1-2, 2016 - Dallas, TX

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

What slot on WM32 weekend should SCOH10 be slotted for?

Friday evening
40%
Saturday afternoon
53%
Saturday evening
7%

Total votes: 15

Burnside

Re: Supercard of Honor X - April 1-2, 2016 - Dallas, TX

Post by Burnside »

supersonic wrote:Former unofficial ROH consultant weighs in:

https://twitter.com/NINaylor/status/705511418355814401
I agree with Naylor in general about ROH not doing a good job building anticipation, but I'm not sure SCOH is the card to worry about. If both shows are already sold out live, and neither is a PPV or iPPV, is that important to announce matches right now? They're trying to sell tix to the Philly show at the moment.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Not illegal or impossible to be hyping up both Philly and Dallas.

ROH got my money this year for SCOH, so good on them. In terms of being present to support them live, I'll just arrive late from Evolve. I'm gonna give the same effort to support them in person as they are in promoting these events.

Next year, they ain't getting a damn thing from me without at least a talent confirmation. Not when NXT is presenting potential MOTYCs loaded with star power and WWN/WrestleCon are displaying a willingness to offer big stars of the past, present, and future.

I'm sure ROH doesn't care, they'll just arrogantly shrug and say "we'll sell the shows out anyway." Let's see if that's indeed still the case when they inevitably lose buzzworthy stars in their primes like the Young Bucks, ACH, and Roderick Strong, and because of NJPW's Invasion Attack tour, can't rely on them for interpromotional band-aids.

I know if I was piggybacking off the biggest show of the year, with a number of fans carving time out of their vacations that spent a lot of money and miles (either by road or by air) to be in town, I'd be bringing my A-game both in terms of hype and a shaft-hardening card. Many fans in attendance will be seeing ROH for the first time and I'd be bending over backwards to make a blow-away first impression. I'd be doing this with plenty of notice too to grab those fans away from the stiff competition.

This isn't a meaningless Reloaded Tour weekend in Bumfuck, Alabama. This is WrestleMania weekend. The people in attendance coming from all around the world ARE entitled to something truly special rather than another effort that screams "just another couple days at the office."
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

I know a bunch of people that have tickets to both NXT and ROH Friday night, that are waiting for ROH announcements to decide. There will be empty seats at ROH that night.

This is nothing new, though. It's been terrible for a few years now. They don't give a shit.

ROH does have a "surprise" up their sleeve for the weekend, but I don't think it's going to excite too many people.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

they dont give a fuck about mania weekend and i think that they are wrong...

i hope they put a storng card for this year,but the simple fact that they dont put this live is very odd.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Last year was easy to give the benefit of the doubt. An East Coast company having to fly all of its staff and talent to the West Coast, figuring out what 3rd party to rent out the stage and ring from since no way they were driving all of that ocean to ocean, etc. I was foolish for thinking they cared again, as everything that mattered on that show (Joe, Liger, Jacobs farewell against Whitmer) was just timing and circumstances beyond ROH's (lack of) initiative.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I really don't get the complaining on this. The shows are sold out...so the urgency to announce cards isn't there. If it weren't a Network special, NXT wouldn't announce a single fucking match until people were in the building (they didn't last year) and nobody would complain.

People are complaining about the "effort" without even a single match being announced yet. Joe vs Briscoe and Lethal vs Liger last year was actually a pretty good "effort" to put on a unique show. I don't get writing it off because of how it was timed. They still booked the talent and matches.

As for why it's not broadcast live...this year they'd be absolute morons to bother given that they'd be head to head with a free Takeover special. VOD is fine this year, especially since they have a TV PPV just a month later. Which brings me to my next point. Mania weekend is a crowded space. ROH is smart to capitalize on it, but smarter for realizing that their focus needs to be on shows they have the best chance of selling to a wider viewing audience on PPV...and to attempt to do that against both NXT and EVOLVE, who legitimately make this their biggest weekend of the year and run multiple iPPVs, would be really foolish.

I've stayed out of the lapsed fan complaining debate because I don't think there's anything wrong with it...but complaining about a show that you chose to buy tickets to without a card announced, because the card isn't announced, reeks of complaining to complain. ROH owes the people who bought tickets a great show...not a card a month early when it will make no difference to the show's business at all. Will it hurt their future Mania crowds? Maybe. But 1 huge bomb PPV could wipe out their entire existence on traditional PPV...and 1 bomb iPPV (which this would be) would likely have a worse financial impact than them not selling out a live event.

Now I kind of wish they'd announce Jay Lethal's title match opponent now so you could simultaneously complain that they spoiled the result of the Philly Main Event by announcing it too early.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It's not asking too much to start getting those attending the event excited a month or so in advance like everyone else in town is doing. NXT has had a similar problem by waiting so long to start building a card, which is due to HHH making a horrendous error in judgment by taping two months of TV rather than broadcasting a live supercard on Rumble weekend. At least NXT's card is available though.

Announcing the next name to get an ROH Title shot in Dallas, if worded carefully, wouldn't give away the Lethal vs. Sydal II winner. Find a better example to mock those who have voice valid concerns.

Fantastic examples in the company's history of starting to build hype up MORE than two months in advance for the biggest weekend of the year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060210045 ... icleID=321

https://web.archive.org/web/20060210045 ... icleID=320

https://web.archive.org/web/20060221190 ... icleID=331
January 25th: In case you missed it, Lance Storm has agreed to come out of retirement to wrestle ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson on 4/1 in Chicago. This will be Storm's first match since last June's ECW PPV. Storm said that he has 10 weeks to train for this match and that he has come out of retirement specifically to wrestle Danielson. Check the main page of ROHwrestling.com for the complete story on this very special match.

January 26th: The Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels feud will now conclude on 3/30 in Detroit and 4/1 in Chicago on Wrestlemania weekend. We will announce more details and match stipulations in the upcoming weeks. These will be their final singles matches in ROH!!! The ROHwrestling.com Newswire will have another major announcement about this triple shot soon!!!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

WM weekend shows shouldn't be ROH's biggest and best shows of the year either. If you're a small indy, then sure, it's fine to have your biggest shows at the moment you will attract most people, but for ROH, they'd be better off trying to do something that will turn their weekend of big shows (which would be Final Battle weekend obviously) into something that becomes a draw of itself. If your biggest show is just one of the (many) preshows for another company's biggest show, then what does that say about you? SCOH really shouldn't be a big priority to them anymore.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

supersonic wrote:It's not asking too much to start getting those attending the event excited a month or so in advance like everyone else in town is doing. NXT has had a similar problem by waiting so long to start building a card, which is due to HHH making a horrendous error in judgment by taping two months of TV rather than broadcasting a live supercard on Rumble weekend. At least NXT's card is available though.

Announcing the next name to get an ROH Title shot in Dallas, if worded carefully, wouldn't give away the Lethal vs. Sydal II winner. Find a better example to mock those who have voice valid concerns.

Fantastic examples in the company's history of starting to build hype up MORE than two months in advance for the biggest weekend of the year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060210045 ... icleID=321

https://web.archive.org/web/20060210045 ... icleID=320

https://web.archive.org/web/20060221190 ... icleID=331
January 25th: In case you missed it, Lance Storm has agreed to come out of retirement to wrestle ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson on 4/1 in Chicago. This will be Storm's first match since last June's ECW PPV. Storm said that he has 10 weeks to train for this match and that he has come out of retirement specifically to wrestle Danielson. Check the main page of ROHwrestling.com for the complete story on this very special match.

January 26th: The Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels feud will now conclude on 3/30 in Detroit and 4/1 in Chicago on Wrestlemania weekend. We will announce more details and match stipulations in the upcoming weeks. These will be their final singles matches in ROH!!! The ROHwrestling.com Newswire will have another major announcement about this triple shot soon!!!
Honestly this kinda reads like you have tickets to these shows and you're annoyed they aren't being presented as a bigger deal - as opposed to you presenting any real business reason why they need to be anything other than strong house shows.

I'm sure we'll get matches announced during the week of 3/14 at the latest. 3 weeks of hype is fine for a couple of shows that 98% of ROH's fanbase will never see.

In your mind, the SCOH shows are a big deal. In reality, they're less important than any PPV, iPPV, or TV taping that ROH will do this year. They're top-tier house shows. They're about at the level of a Philly, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, or Vegas show that is not on PPV, iPPV, or a TV taping. I'm sure the card will be very good just as it was last year.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Yeah what Burnside said. Sure it'd be nice for them to by hyped up due to history's sake, but the next month not only do they have a PPV to worry about, they also have a huge week of touring that includes the PPV. And then maybe another PPV the month after that.

It would be nice if one of these were an iPPV, however.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

jordidebaas wrote:WM weekend shows shouldn't be ROH's biggest and best shows of the year either. If you're a small indy, then sure, it's fine to have your biggest shows at the moment you will attract most people, but for ROH, they'd be better off trying to do something that will turn their weekend of big shows (which would be Final Battle weekend obviously) into something that becomes a draw of itself. If your biggest show is just one of the (many) preshows for another company's biggest show, then what does that say about you? SCOH really shouldn't be a big priority to them anymore.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My ticket purchase has zero relevance. The expectations would be significantly lower from me if ROH was making its PNW debut this year for a Summer Heat or Road to Final Battld house show, even though I'd of course attend it.

A blow-away WM weekend both in hype and presentation presents an opportunity, pick a great talker to say this:

"Wrestling fans, wasn't this a fantastic show tonight? [Lists the top 3 matches of the night.]. We hyped you up, you guys came, and we delivered! I know a lot of you this ain't your first time, so you know the deal. If this is your first time seeing ROH, rest assured that we appreciate you giving us a chance to blow you away, and if you think tonight was something, we do this night in, night out, all fucking year! We hope to see you guys again the next time we're in Texas or close to your neighborhood! Thank you very much for coming here to support us on this Friday evening/Saturday afternoon!"
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

TYFDK wrote:It would be nice if one of these were an iPPV, however.
HORRENDOUS idea.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/705778452259934208

So that's not only the biggest show of the year for the entire industry being free, but the biggest of its piggybacking brand's history. At worst, both events are available for just $10 total. ROH would be laughed at for charging $15+ to watch just a single event.
Last edited by supersonic on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

roh have priorities and thats fine...last years show was great with joe and liger so i respect that

i hope they bring some surprise for the show
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

Some matches that I think might happen at SCOH night 1

World Title
Jay Lethal vs ACH
(There aren't many babyfaces left for Lethal to face besides Dijak, Fish, Shelly, Moose. ACH I think is the best choice and they're still building up the Dijak/H.O.T feud)

Tag Titles
War Machine vs The Briscoes
Spoiler: show
(They hinted it at the Anniversary Tapings)
Fight Without Honor
Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly

2/3 Falls or Ringmasters Challenge
Roderick Strong vs Bobby Fish
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

So if I hear the complaints right, the show needs to be presented (not necessarly executed, PRESENTED) as a major, blow away event, with matches promoted months and months in advance. But don't make them an iPPV because of what WWE is doing.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Strong vs. Fish is a given, but I think we see Lethal vs. O'Reilly on that weekend. It outs him as a title contender when he finally is cleanly pinned.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Saturday now just a "live event."
Stonyshakers

Post by Stonyshakers »

Initium wrote:Me and my son aren´t finally going to Wrestlemania so I´m selling 2 FRONT ROW tickets for ROH saturday´s show. Contact me if you are interested, thanks!
Check your pm's my man
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

supersonic wrote:Saturday now just a "live event."
Has been for a few weeks.