TNA wanted to do an invasion angle with ROH, who said no

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

TNA wanted to do an invasion angle with ROH, who said no

Post by The Dragon Saga »

On this mornings Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said that TNA are doing an invasion angle with GFW because they asked everyone else and nobody was interested. Obviously W-1 wasn't an option after their relationship ended so badly, then AAA and CMLL said no, you can assume AAA said no because of Konnan but as for CMLL no real reason given. It was probably for the best as it would be hard for TNA to explain who the hell the CMLL guys are to make people care about them.

Then they asked ROH. Dave didn't give many details, said he'd have more info in the newsletter, but he said that TNA asked ROH who would have been the best option and ROH just didn't have any interest, most likely because they see nothing to gain from it.

Then they asked Jarrett, who had every reason to say yes because GFW doesn't have TV, PPV or any way of promoting themselves other than social media so of course he was going to do it. TNA's side also saw it as a way of extending an olive branch to Jarrett and doing some other things like the KOTM.

So, ROH could have hypothetically done an invasion angle with TNA. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Personally, it would have been cool to see from a fans perspective, but if I were Joe Koff or Delirious or even SBG, I'd be saying, "why the fuck would we do that?", on the same network, sure TNA has more time and a slightly better timeslot but TNA is also working against a clock, if you will. Yes It'd generate a lot of buzz for both promotions but at what cost? The politics would be immense and ROH more-so than TNA could anger a lot of its roster who previously worked for TNA (Addiction, AJ, Sabin, etc).
Burnside

Re: TNA wanted to do an invasion angle with ROH, who said no

Post by Burnside »

I think that if done correctly and sensibly in a way that made both companies look good, it would obviously benefit both companies and they could get at least one quite successful joint PPV out of it.

But because it's TNA, it would of course not be done correctly or sensibly, so ROH is right to decline.

The one bit you're wrong about is the idea that people like Daniels, AJ, or Sabin would get mad about it. Honestly, why would they care. There's no real bitterness there; if TNA suddenly, magically had the right money and wanted them back they'd all go back.

If I were ROH I would agree to do a joint angle provided ROH got total creative control. Which TNA would never agree to, so there you go.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Would have been cool to see fit he correct guys were used, but I would never ever work with TNA from a business perspective.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
TNA had approached ROH a number of times to do similar angles, but after being rebuffed a few months ago, they did not approach them for this one. When TNA talent asked about an ROH invasion on the conference call a few weeks back, John Gaburick said he couldn't say anything, but hinted like there could be something there, although people told us that it came across as trying to placate unhappy talent, similar to Dixie Carter insisting she knew about the ROH deal but couldn't say anything and that's why she'd been quiet when the Destination America canceling story broke.

In recent years, TNA once approached ROH about doing TNA vs. ROH as a theme for a One Night Only PPV show. About a year ago, they contacted ROH about exchanging talent, but not doing an invasion. They also inquired in early 2015 about an invasion angle from ROH, and specifically requested they wanted The Kingdom, so that's probably trying to want to get Maria Kanellis on their television. David Lagana, who is the head writer for TNA, came directly from ROH. Obviously ROH never okayed anything.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Does sound like the sort of thing that has potential on paper but ends up being badly executed.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

If this was a year or two ago, it would have seen like a good opportunity for ROH.
But at this point, I think it's smart to stay as far away from TNA as possible. It just has such a bad stigma about it, not really anything you want to associate yourself with.
And ROH would have absolutely no gain from it. They wouldn't get any more exposure due to being on the same network immediately before TNA. And they already have a great buzz right now and I think a lot of people are higher on ROH than TNA. I like the decision.

Plus, you can't tell me that this would really be any different than the usual TNA invasion angle that they run every couple years.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Very interesting story. I think ROH was right in turning them down. Burnside was spot on with his earlier post. Realistically, it would never work.

In a semi-related note, I talked to someone on Twitter who attended the OKC show (a few days after the fact), and he mentioned that the people in the crowd he talked to (presumably casuals, thought I didn't ask) knew about WWE and (obviously) ROH, but they didn't even know about TNA. Not in the sense that they didn't know what was going on with TNA, but they didn't even know that TNA even existed. Thought that was interesting.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

The TNA believers can stop thinking the cancellation was an angle then, considering the deal with GFW look like a last minute thing.
ImageImage
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

ROH is too good to be working with TNA.

I don't know if anyone here listens to the Don Tony and Kevin Castle show(highly recommended) but they said that the GFW invasion will either be like the nwo invasion of wcw or Jeff Jarrett throwing down the King of the Mountain title and declaring himself the first GFW champion(just like what Shane Douglas did in ecw 21 years ago) and in either case... WHO CARES. It won't be compelling. TNA can't do anything at this point to save themselves from being irrelevant. The fact that the Carters are still funding it is what's keeping it alive. That's it.
PoyzunTiiiger

Post by PoyzunTiiiger »

If this was like 2009-2012 when the ROH Roster was fully defined by its own top guys like Danielson, Aries, Nigel, Hero, Claudio, Strong, Homicide, Richards, The Briscoes, Age of The Fall, Kevin Steen & El Generico it would have been perfect because TNA had Styles, Joe, Daniels, MCMG, Angle, Steiner, Jarrett, James Storm, Bobby Roode, Eric Young and Petey Williams the rosters were defined and all of the wrestlers had come into their own there would have been a ton of possible back stories but Ooooooooooo how times have changed TNA's roster sucks ROH has acquired 3 of their then top 7 guys who can work the ROH Style (Daniels, AJ, Sabin out of Styles/Joe/Daniels/Kurt/MCMG) not only that but TNA has fallen so far that ROH has surpassed them in every way ROH now has better wrestlers, (always had better wrestling LOL) better storylines, better and more prestigious titles (TNA World title means nothing, X-Division Title has fallen off so hard it is heartbreaking) and hell they even have a better TV Show. TNA is so bad now that it would be a lot of on ROH's end to make TNA look credible.

I can only imagine

Taz: "Yo dats Ah Jay Stahlz he work for New Jahpahn an Ring of Hunnuh now"

Tenay: "YOUVE GOTTAH BE KIDDING ME! Davey Richards has changed sides to Ring of Honor!? He turned on TNA for them! This is the most insane moment in HISTORY!"

Don't worry TNA vs. GFW is going to give us all the laughs we can handle
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

PoyzunTiiiger wrote:Don't worry TNA vs. GFW is going to give us all the laughs we can handle
Yeah, i don't see a single benefit for TNA with this angle...
Maybe they know they are finished and they just want to elevate GFW on their way out ?
ImageImage
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

TNAWrestlingNews.com is reporting that THA's plan for an "invasion" with ROH consisted of a top ROH guy jumping a TNA babyface, then jobbing to that babyface.

And to think that ROH rejected this plan.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

This is from TNAWrestlingNews.com, which you can decide for yourself how much journalistic integrity they have.
As previously reported, Jay Lethal and ReDRagon were attempted to be recruited to work TNA Slammiversary without success. The original report suggested that Davey Richards had “gone rogue” and attempted to recruit independently, only to be shut down because they were under contract.

Now it appears that this may not be the case. Sources close to the situation are saying that TNA has “absolutely” been involved in the attempted recruitment of ROH talent and that despite claims to the contrary, it was not a contractual issue as much as it was the fact that ReDRagon and Jay Lethal had no interest in working for TNA.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://officialfan.proboards.com/post/11848084/thread
Ric wrote:I heard ROH was up for it at first and have a transcript of the meeting:
Delirious: Sure Dixie, we'll send over someone. *hangs up the phone* Hey Cheeseburger, come here.

Cheeseburger: What's up?

D: We're going to send you to Orlando to work the Impact tapings. Two days, day one will cover the next six months and day two is for you to see the sights and get the toxins out.

C: What am I doing?

D: You'll show up and attack Drew McIntyre who is on his crusade about real wrestling or some stupid shit. This will last about 3 shows and you'll have a match where they expect you to lose to him.

C: Expect?

D: Yeah, when the match starts, just hit the palm strike and roll him up. They'll never see it coming and we owe them one. Well we owe them several to be honest but this one is the start.

C: But won't they just edit that out?

D: Have you ever watched Impact?

C: No.

D: Well, don't worry about that.
Pardon any errors, I am still working on my Lizard to Human.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:TNAWrestlingNews.com is reporting that THA's plan for an "invasion" with ROH consisted of a top ROH guy jumping a TNA babyface, then jobbing to that babyface.

And to think that ROH rejected this plan.
At this point a movie needs to be made about TNA in the form of a mockumentary like This Is Spinal Tap. There is an endless goldmine of comedic material that can be pilfered through.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Can the Claire Lynch woman play Dixie?