Steen vs richards at bitw??

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Renegade121

Steen vs richards at bitw??

Post by Renegade121 »

Is this where we are headed? Steen vs richards at best in the world??
187_Joeism

Re: Steen vs richards at bitw??

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think the first title match will be in Canada, then in BITW the rematch when Steen wins the title.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Hopefully. Stretching it out to Final Battle with Davey still being a face without changing his attitude isn't going to be fun for most people.
Last Real Man Hype
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Marketh. wrote:Hopefully. Stretching it out to Final Battle with Davey still being a face without changing his attitude isn't going to be fun for most people.
Exactly.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

187_Joeism wrote:I think the first title match will be in Canada, then in BITW the rematch when Steen wins the title.
Having Kevin Steen, ROH's hottest property right now, lose a World Title shot in his home market might be a booking gamble too far (for me anyway).

For a company that's adopted such a 'play it safe' attitude to every other aspect of their existence (TV, live events, which shows are iPPV's, title changes in New York, the roster, the TV Title in general etc) it seems crazy to risk denting the popularity of THE most marketable and exciting talent on the roster right now.
Guyver3

Post by Guyver3 »

McXal wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:I think the first title match will be in Canada, then in BITW the rematch when Steen wins the title.
Having Kevin Steen, ROH's hottest property right now, lose a World Title shot in his home market might be a booking gamble too far (for me anyway).

For a company that's adopted such a 'play it safe' attitude to every other aspect of their existence (TV, live events, which shows are iPPV's, title changes in New York, the roster, the TV Title in general etc) it seems crazy to risk denting the popularity of THE most marketable and exciting talent on the roster right now.
That kinda goes against what your saying
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I initially thought they'd try and hold it off until Final Battle but they've really pushed the storyline with Steen's post-event promos at Final Battle and 10th Anniversary so I think Best In The World seems more likely at the moment.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Guyver3 wrote:
McXal wrote:

That kinda goes against what your saying
Agreed - although I'm still of the opinion they don't need to rush into Steen winning the title and never said I wanted Davey/Steen at BITW either. I just firmly believe, as many others do, that when he finally gets his first shot, he absolutely HAS to win

If ROH aren't ready to have Davey let go of the belt yet (which is understandable - for all his critics, in a workrate company he's still a great bet to deliver excellent matches on a regular basis) then I don't think they should be giving Steen a title shot in Canada, New York or anywhere else unless they're ready to give him the belt.

For the record - if he is to win it soon, I'd love it if he won it in Canada. But since it's a live event, not an iPPV or anything, I'm not hopeful it will happen.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think they can use a title shot in Canada to turn Richards heel help winning with Cornette help or something like that and they build the rematch in BITW with Steen finally winning the title.
RobOfAllTrades

Post by RobOfAllTrades »

I'm completely against this being stretched to Final Battle. Davey's reign has been a pretty poor one and his matches in ROH have been pretty darn bad. I think the change has to happen sooner rather than later. Best in the World or Death Before Dishonor time at most because ROH needs the shake up.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I'm hearing they're gonna hold off on this match until Final Battle of this year, which at this point seems a little too dragged out. I understand the idea of really making this a storyline and not rushing it the way other companies do with their stories, but this is THE match that everyone wants to see.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I'm definitely against holding it off until Final Battle. Honestly I wouldn't mind if Steen won it in Canada in May.
astoph

Post by astoph »

I honestly can't see them doing Richards/Steen on a house show, even if it is Canada. BITW is the probably it.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Stretching Davey vs. Steen out to Final Battle might not be that tricky if they decide to use Kingston for a string of shows. Kingston is the wild card in this.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

Final Battle.

Steen still has a bunch of other stuff to do.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

Continuing with ROHs recent theme of finally elevating certain roster members, hows about Steen vs Davey for the strap at BITW and Steen wins only to have somebody, likely Elgin, cash in his number 1 contendership money in the bank style to shock the world and win the ROH World Title from the man everybody wants to be champion.

You could then have a Davey vs Steen rematch (Steen wins again) down the road to see who faces Elgin at Final Battle 2012.

ROH was gutsy last year by putting the belt on Eddie Edwards when we all thought Davey would be the next champ and I just think it would be good for business to 1) Shake things up even more and 2) Extend Steens chase for the gold even further.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Chaosphere wrote:Continuing with ROHs recent theme of finally elevating certain roster members, hows about Steen vs Davey for the strap at BITW and Steen wins only to have somebody, likely Elgin, cash in his number 1 contendership money in the bank style to shock the world and win the ROH World Title from the man everybody wants to be champion.

You could then have a Davey vs Steen rematch (Steen wins again) down the road to see who faces Elgin at Final Battle 2012.

ROH was gutsy last year by putting the belt on Eddie Edwards when we all thought Davey would be the next champ and I just think it would be good for business to 1) Shake things up even more and 2) Extend Steens chase for the gold even further.
Then, what would ROH distinguish from the big 2??
I absolutely hate those title changes where someone takes advantage of a beaten opponent and wins the title in 5 seconds, it so devalues the belt!!
Why would you prolong the cahse again, when we all know that's a central reason why everyone is hating on the new champ after a few months?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Chaosphere wrote:Continuing with ROHs recent theme of finally elevating certain roster members, hows about Steen vs Davey for the strap at BITW and Steen wins only to have somebody, likely Elgin, cash in his number 1 contendership money in the bank style to shock the world and win the ROH World Title from the man everybody wants to be champion.

Then, what would ROH distinguish from the big 2??
I absolutely hate those title changes where someone takes advantage of a beaten opponent and wins the title in 5 seconds, it so devalues the belt!!
Why would you prolong the cahse again, when we all know that's a central reason why everyone is hating on the new champ after a few months?
Daveys title win wasn't really prolonged and loads of people have still turned on him. The point of prolonging is try and sell tickets and generate revenue etc. People want Steen to win SO badly so why not have him chase it a bit longer? A lot of people are hoping the title match will happen at Final Battle which is the only the same length of time as my fantasy booking idea anyway.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I don't know about Davey, I think he should have won at Final Battle 2010, that was the point when he was over like hell. Sure, I liked how everything turned out with Davey besting his best friend and tag team partner to win the title, but I still think he would have been a better champ, if he had won the title at FB.
I get your point on the prolonging aspect, but if something that every fan in the building expects (it is pretty obvious Steen will be the next world champ) is prolonged, it will piss fans off. Just remember how the fans shitted on Nigel and Black, after numerous failed attempts to capture the title.
I still prefer the option of having Steen feud with Kingston, while Davey gets some more quality defenses (Elgin, Cole, TJP, maybe smoenone from Chikara). Don't prolong Steen's chase for the gold, give him a blood feud against Kingston to keep him busy, and give him the strap at Final Battle, we haven't had a title change at Final Battle in ages!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer