Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thelone

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by Thelone »

WHG wrote:Pretty sure the woman Whitmer introduced was Mary Elizabeth Monroe (an Indy wrestler and recent tryout camp attendee who is also BJ's girlfriend) using the name Kelly Cline or something like that. I was opposite the entrance, but from that distance it looked like her. I can't say I've ever seen her work, but her look is closer to what Burnside is describing (and I agree is the direction they should have gone).
Yeah, her FB and Twitter say that she's working for ROH. I have not seen much of her (two matches from AIW), but she was alright from what I saw.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Wilson wrote:
STITCHES wrote:Man, a whole two pages on female wrestling in ROH and nobody's mentioned Dalton Castle. What a shame. :lol:
Let's keep homophobic comments away from the board, for everybody's sake.
Man, it was just a joke. You guys are no fun. :roll:
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i think thati think that is very good that roh build their own talent,that is the motivation to do the roh dojos and tryouts..

im agree too that maybe they need some good wrestlers from outside like kimber lee, cherry bomb,ivelisse etc

like i said before

lets wait and see..
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

jordidebaas wrote:According to cagematch, she hasn't had a match since 2010. There were two other female wrestlers on cagematch, one of them has had one match since 2009, and the other was Kelly Kelly, so I'd guess it's either a changed name, or DBSommer misheard it.
I could have misheard it. Sound was reverbing bad where I was.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

monster mafia wrote:i think thati think that is very good that roh build their own talent,that is the motivation to do the roh dojos and tryouts..

im agree too that maybe they need some good wrestlers from outside like kimber lee, cherry bomb,ivelisse etc

like i said before

lets wait and see..
They NEED some veterans to carry those girls. So far they have Hendrix who's decent but not a top talent, same thing with Monroe it seems like, Leon and Purrazzo have potential but are still pretty green obviously, and Veda just isn't that good to be honest.

I'm fine with ROH going for newer girls instead of being diet Shimmer/Shine/WSU and I'm willing to give this some time, but they're gonna need a stronger line-up if they want this to work this time (oh, and a title belt also, no one can possibly care about who's the Queen of Honor or whatever).
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

WHG wrote:
I don't watch much women's wrestling, but to me the Hendrix/Leon match fell well short of the YouTube match they taped with Leon and Deonna Purrazzo a couple months ago, which is not a good sign.
I've seen a couple of other of Leon's matches elsewhere. She was off and botched one or two moves. It was a not good match even for someone as green as her. Haven't actually seen Hendrix so I have no idea if that was typical of her or off as well.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i just saw Leon vs Purrazzo it was a decent match and the finisher of mandy was good..
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

LVD was booked a few times in the past, it´s not a surprise she is booked for the WoH
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

That was two years ago though (a craptastic 4CS btw, not even something remotely decent) and she hasn't improved much during that time.

That roster is just unremarkable so far and for all this talk about how they should strike while the iron is hot, they sure are taking their sweet ass time to set this up. Hell, they did three matches so far and one was apparently so bad that it's not even on that show's VOD.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Thelone wrote:That was two years ago though (a craptastic 4CS btw, not even something remotely decent) and she hasn't improved much during that time.

That roster is just unremarkable so far and for all this talk about how they should strike while the iron is hot, they sure are taking their sweet ass time to set this up. Hell, they did three matches so far and one was apparently so bad that it's not even on that show's VOD.
That match wasn't good (I was there), but I got the feeling at the time it may be a YouTube match because it was kind of angle-heavy (babyface Mandy vs. Heel HOT rep Hendrix, followed by Whitmer introducing Klein as the Decade rep in the division).

I agree, though, there are a few women with buzz that I think they could try to create something with. If they're going to do this, the idea should be to build a division that has a workrate far superior to NXT (which is attainable since Becky and Sasha are gone)...but this looks more like a me-too thing to give their ROH Dojo women something to do.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

When Ring of Honor returns to action on October 23 in Kalamazoo, the card will feature a Women of Honor contest where one of the competitors has a lot in common with the city’s founder, Titus Bronson. Historical documents describe Bronson as brash and eccentric; those adjectives are appropriate, but are likely understatements when describing Women of Honor competitor “Crazy” Mary Dobson.

Dobson has just a touch of madness in her eyes, a madness that compels her to compete in intergender tag team matches and death matches, where, in both instances, Dobson frequently ends up with the winner’s share of the purse. In Kalamazoo, Dobson will stand across the squared circle from Canadian globe trotter Leah Von Dutch during Glory By Honor XIV weekend!

On the surface, both competitors possess similar backgrounds: each veterans of the ring for four years, Dobson and Von Dutch have competed on many of the same cards on the independent circuit. Their familiarity extends to their Ring of Honor debuts when the foes signed to compete on opposite sides of a six-woman tag team match just over a year ago.

But the two Women of Honor stars stylistically couldn’t be more different. While Von Dutch is cut from a long line of more traditional Canadian female wrestling stars that include ROH alumnae Allison Danger, Velvet McIntyre, and, her inspiration for becoming a pro wrestler, Hall of Famer Trish Stratus, Dobson has moments where her ruthlessness and unpredictability that have had observers invoke the names of Abdullah the Butcher and Terry Funk.

While Von Dutch was honing her craft, traveling around the world learning Lanchasire style from Robbie Brookside in England, Von Dutch learned to tactically dismember opponents in a style similar to Luna Vachon taught to her by trainer Mad Man Pondo.

Like any great match-up, style will be the key in determining the winner in Kalamazoo. Will Von Dutch’s experience across Europe and Japan afford her too many tactical advantages for Dobson to handle or will Dobson use unadulterated violence to snuff out any hope of a Von Dutch victory early? Will Von Dutch’s mat wrestling be the difference or will Dobson’s unpredictability be the key in earning the duke? Find out in Kalamazoo on Friday, October 23!
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I dig that Mary Dobson is getting more exposure these days. Good pick up for ROH with Dobson and LVD.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I'm a bit surprised to see Dobson here since she seems to be around NXT a lot lately, but she's definitely a good pick-up and the kind of profile ROH should be looking for.

Also lol at them not even mentioning that shitty 4-way as LVD's debut and using the 6-woman tag from Bennett's bachelor party last year instead.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

With all the females ROH is bringing in they need to bring in Candice LeRae.
That needs to happen.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Candice LeRae in roh: $$$$$$
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Except for Candice's biggest criticism being she's not a good wrestler when she wrestles other women, I don't think she'd be money.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

By the way, Daizee Haze and Lacey, probably the two greatest "Women of Honor" (besides Sara Del Rey), wrestled at SHIMMER's tenth anniversary show last Sunday.

I think it would be great to have them back for a guest appearance in ROH too.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Well Daizee is Delirious' wife or girlfriend or something. That's probable. Lacey appeared at Supercard of Honor, but I think she lives in Japan.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

lacey is a doctor now i believe.. maybe taht was only a special moment because of shimmer anniversary