Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Women of Honor Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm Seems to me the like the operative question is "why?"
I can answer that.

As a true act of love, Delirious is gonna one up all of us and give his girlfriend a championship​ title.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

The first thing I ever heard about WOH was someone referring it to "Mandy of Honor".
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Man, I never thought of Women of Honor as gratuitous as just being a vehicle for Mandy Leon to exist as a wrestler, but I guess it totally is just that. (Then again, there’s hardly been any food for thought in that arena.) Huh.

Add one to the “Fuck Hunter Johnston Forever” list.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Deonna Purrazzo should be the first champ, assuming they can actually sign her.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 am Deonna Purrazzo should be the first champ, assuming they can actually sign her.
I think she is awesome...so I am sure they won't.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 am Man, I never thought of Women of Honor as gratuitous as just being a vehicle for Mandy Leon to exist as a wrestler, but I guess it totally is just that. (Then again, there’s hardly been any food for thought in that arena.) Huh.

Add one to the “Fuck Hunter Johnston Forever” list.
I don't really like saying it on principle every female wrestler gets accused of sleeping with their trainer or a booker at some stage of their career. But this one is a legitimate and verifiable case.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

rovert1 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 am I don't really like saying it on principle every female wrestler gets accused of sleeping with their trainer or a booker at some stage of their career. But this one is a legitimate and verifiable case.
Same and same. I had sympathy for Mandy during that surge of corrosive public attention after Keenan’s strange letter (and awful actions). I don’t know if I sympathize as much today, but I am still pointing a finger at a terrible, terrible man. I just find that everything they're doing for the workers in the WOH division is just so gross and inauthentic.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:06 am
rovert1 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 am I don't really like saying it on principle every female wrestler gets accused of sleeping with their trainer or a booker at some stage of their career. But this one is a legitimate and verifiable case.
Same and same. I had sympathy for Mandy during that surge of corrosive public attention after Keenan’s strange letter (and awful actions). I don’t know if I sympathize as much today, but I am still pointing a finger at a terrible, terrible man. I just find that everything they're doing for the workers in the WOH division is just so gross and inauthentic.
Yeah, not to mention, aren't Klein and Whitmer a couple too? With Whitmer having behind the scenes power, it makes it fucking worse. Soon I am gonna feel like the whole thing is geared towards guys their women on TV. I am waiting for Todd Sinclair and Faye Jackson to be the next couple outed.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:06 am
Considering she was sexually assaulted I would hope any decent human being would have had some sympathy.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I was trying to imply that there was backlash to Mandy once it was revealed that she was romantically involved with the booker--backlash that was acutely misplaced and revolting to read. I sympathized for something so private being put under the microscope.

Of course I am deeply repulsed by Keenan, his abuse, and his letter which, iirc, attempted to deny his culpability and made practically no effort to apologize.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 am I was trying to imply that there was backlash to Mandy once it was revealed that she was romantically involved with the booker--backlash that was acutely misplaced and revolting to read. I sympathized for something so private being put under the microscope.

Of course I am deeply repulsed by Keenan, his abuse, and his letter which, iirc, attempted to deny his culpability and made practically no effort to apologize.
But aren't we all saying right now that said backlash over the revelation wasn't misplaced? That Mandy clearly has gotten the push she has gotten because she is dating the booker rather than being pushed to the level that her talent should dictate?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

In reference to backlash aimed principally at Mandy Leon. We don’t know her intentions at all. She’s also young, and extremely early in her career; Johnston is the one who has all the power in this. You can criticize her not having the talent to be placed in her position, but that’s not controlled by her. Although the situation is yucky, that does not directly implicate Mandy.

I'm also kind of ok with her push. She's among the top of her division, yes, but she's not booked like a monster, nor do any of the matches have any stakes, so her wins don't matter. I just don't think WOH would still exist if Mandy weren't there; any other booker would/should call it a lost cause.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

What push is everyone talking about with Mandy? The only one arguably getting a push is Kelly with her undefeated streak and Deonna is looking like the one about to break it. Everyone seems to be ready to hate Mandy for something that has yet to happen (everyone is assuming she'll be the first champ). Taeler beat her in their feud (who was leaving the company) and is 2-4 in matches to start the first half of the year.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Yeah, I don't really see Mandy Leon as getting more or less than she deserves right now. She's definitely not a great wrestler but she has improved over time and she's been in the division since it restarted.

As for Klein, she's actually one of their better workers, and easily the most physically imposing. I don't have a problem with her booking at all.

If they could build a division that looks like this:
Deonna Purrazzo
Kelly Klein
Karen Q
Kris Wolf
Sumie Sakai
Mandy Leon

With the rest of the girls basically rotating in and out as enhancement talents, I'd get behind a WOH Championship. I think the hold up is actually signing these women to deals that would preclude them from jumping to NXT/GFW/AAA/LU.

They should have signed Taeler Hendrix, Hania the Huntress, and Santana Garrett. Even Veda Scott.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

YimYac wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm What push is everyone talking about with Mandy?
Outside looking in, I always thought of her as the face of the division. That's being pushed. It's great that Mandy has pretty much always showed signs of improvement--which includes her time as the Inside ROH host--but it's still very gauche.

I am always wanting to give the division the benefit of the doubt, which has been a constant source of vexation because the company has hardly gives the workers a fair chance at getting over. We should be way past being cheek-by-jowl to the dark match slums like the Future of Honor.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

To be fair, they are getting another TV special in two weeks and they do sometimes get those VOD shows.

I think a lot of ROH's issues would be mitigated, if not solved, by moving to a two hour show. They could get more people on TV every week, and it may force them to change the taping schedule to get the TV show more in sync with the live events/major PPV shows. They could keep doing WOH Wednesdays but also give the women a match every week on the actual TV show, and start putting title matches on the main cards.

It has definitely been a slow, sometimes agonizing process. This division should definitely be farther along than it is right now, I think we can all agree on that, but I'm not ready to just write it off yet.

And of course I think we need a new booker, but it's a bit of a tired topic at this point. I'm not going to suggest replacing Delirious as a solution to every problem, even if I think it would be a good solution, because it just doesn't seem realistic at this point.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

It was announced today via social media today that Scarlett Bordeaux, Bea Priestley, and Kelly Klein would be heading over to Japan to debut for STARDOM in October.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Looking forward to the main event for the WOH main event that pre-empts the regular ROH show next week. Deonna Purrazzo vs. Kelly Klein vs. Karen Q should be a good match.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 am In reference to backlash aimed principally at Mandy Leon. We don’t know her intentions at all. She’s also young, and extremely early in her career; Johnston is the one who has all the power in this. You can criticize her not having the talent to be placed in her position, but that’s not controlled by her. Although the situation is yucky, that does not directly implicate Mandy.

I'm also kind of ok with her push. She's among the top of her division, yes, but she's not booked like a monster, nor do any of the matches have any stakes, so her wins don't matter. I just don't think WOH would still exist if Mandy weren't there; any other booker would/should call it a lost cause.
Regardless of her intentions or culpability, the fact remains that she gets more attention than her position on the card warrants (she is essentially the face of the division when the logical choice would have been Kelly Klein based on the booking). I don't think Roman Reigns is at fault in Vince's obsession with making him the top babyface, either, but that doesn't mean that Roman isn't being overpushed and that criticism of his push (and negative response to the idea of him as the top babyface) isn't warranted.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mandy Leon is the "face" of the division because she's the hottest, she's been on TV the longest, and she's the least likely to go anywhere.

But as far as her booking goes, she's upper midcard. She hasn't looked as strong as Klein, Purrazzo, or Karen Q. Even Veda Scott was booked stronger than Mandy before she left.