Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
TYFDK

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by TYFDK »

That's kind of what Future of Honor was.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

TYFDK wrote:That's kind of what Future of Honor was.
Yes. And the fact that they have given up on this idea twice in the past five years doesn't bode well for any future attempts at it.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

IchaelMelgin wrote:World class female workers most likely aren't gonna wanna come here if there's nothing already in motion for them.
The money is probably the main reason someone would wrestle in ROH or in every company.
In ROH, you could be featured on TV if you're lucky and even their YouTube channel provide you more exposure than the usual Indy shows.
I don't see something fantastic for the female wrestlers in WWE neither. They have one great match every four months in NXT on a show they share with every other male wrestlers and they try to rush a diva revolution with a ton of crap on the main program.
I don't think they should try to compete against WWE, they can't anyway.
Sure, they make way more money than everywhere else and that one match every month is better than anything you can see on the independent scene, but it's not that hard for ROH to build something consistant with good matches from top to bottom if they really want to.
They just need to do something good and fresh and don't try to make us think this is a revolution when they're just starting to build the division. They have to recruit their women wrestlers essentially on their abilities and not on the fact they are good looking. They will already be taken more seriously.
Considering Maria Kanellis brought the idea of a women division, i wonder if she would be able to book it herself.
She could be helped by Daizee Haze and/or MsChif, i guess, but they shouldn't let Delirious do it.
He needs to focus on the main roster.
I can't say i follow women wrestling very closely, but if they do something i will definitely take a closer look.
ImageImage
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

WWE has drawn enough attention to the women's rev. both with the NXT work and the constantly showing themselves up on Raw that if they gave up on it, I think there would be a higher level of demand around than ever before for great womens workers from fans, and ROH is the company that could benefit from that. Whether the likes of Kana & Sasha got released, or they just settle for doing schoolgirl's battle royales - they've already ensured there will be a more concrete demand for women's stuff now.
As a female fan myself, I've never seen a US women's match as good as Sasha v Bayley if there has been one, though I loved lots of NXT Women's Title matches, this one ensured that I'll be looking around a lot harder to find women's stuff in future if Raw won't satisfy me. Genuinely no longer see it as such a male-centric sport.

I totally agree that unlike Raw, unlike TNA (who did actually put good stuff on in their day), don't get too bogged down in hype and 'new era' stuff, just kinda let it grow. It'll need promotion though of course.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Big Red Machine wrote:
TYFDK wrote:That's kind of what Future of Honor was.
Yes. And the fact that they have given up on this idea twice in the past five years doesn't bode well for any future attempts at it.
It seems that "See the stars of tomorrow today!" can't keep enough fans interested. After all, why shouldn't we watch the stars of today today and the stars of tomorrow tomorrow, when they are really good and not just promising? Promotions like ROH and SHIMMER usually keep their dark matches in the dark, even though they are probably better than most of the stuff others present on youtube.

The two Future of Honor shows had "Jenny Rose vs Mandy Leon" and "Jenny Rose & Veda Scott vs Hania & Mandy Leon". I'm a big fan of women's wrestling, but this won't put my butt into the seat. (It only would if I was a fan of Mandy Leon specificly.)

The situation for NXT is a bit different. Not only is WWE so huge that even a small fraction of the fans is a lot of people. NXT puts much more emphasis on match quality than the main shows, so if Sasha wrestled Bayley again a few years from now, this time at Wrestlemania, their match wouldn't be even better, but probably worse, especially much shorter.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Things get serious, they have a logo now and a dedicated article on the website.

ImageImage
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

AssShooter wrote: I don't see something fantastic for the female wrestlers in WWE neither. They have one great match every four months in NXT on a show they share with every other male wrestlers
That one great match being better than any womens match ROH has ever put on or probably capable of putting on in the near future.
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Arguably the single biggest star in combat sports right now is Rousey (it's Rousey or McGregor). But regardless Rousey is now the image people have in their minds of what a female fighter is.

With that in mind, you can't present boring, retrograde, done-to-death shit like this as your women's wrestling product:

I don't believe in her for a second. I've seen this lame character like 20 times before, performed by like 20 different women (and usually better than this), and I have no interest in seeing it again. I did not even make it all the way through this promo.

This is a company that has Shayna Baszler and Jessamyn Duke coming to their shows, with Baszler even seconding reDRagon on a PPV. It doesn't take a genius to realize that's what your women's division should look like and be pattered after in 2015. They're right there.

Instead we're doing knockoff version of WWE women, which they'll never do as well as WWE does and shouldn't try because it's pretty bad in the first place.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

It's already pretty alarming when Taeler Hendrix seems to be your top heel (I like her, but come on) and you were going to use one of the hottest heels today as a babyface against Veda.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Man, a whole two pages on female wrestling in ROH and nobody's mentioned Dalton Castle. What a shame. :lol:
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Why? He's flamboyant, not a drag queen.
Last Real Man Hype
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

STITCHES wrote:Man, a whole two pages on female wrestling in ROH and nobody's mentioned Dalton Castle. What a shame. :lol:
Let's keep homophobic comments away from the board, for everybody's sake.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i think that hendrix promo was very good, lets wait and see what roh presents...

dont judge before you watch
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I know enough about women's wrestling in NA to tell you that if the division is something like Hendrix, Veda, Leon, Deonna Machin and maybe Jenny Rose (she's still in Japan right now), Hania and Cherry Bomb (well, not for a while at least), that would be pretty underwhelming. Also, they need to create a new title belt or work with Tharpe to be able to get the NWA Women's Title as the de facto Women's Title in ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Thelone wrote:I know enough about women's wrestling in NA to tell you that if the division is something like Hendrix, Veda, Leon, Deonna Machin and maybe Jenny Rose (she's still in Japan right now), Hania and Cherry Bomb (well, not for a while at least), that would be pretty underwhelming. Also, they need to create a new title belt or work with Tharpe to be able to get the NWA Women's Title as the de facto Women's Title in ROH.
you right men, i think they need some really good talents, but if roh decides to expand the brand and put effort on womens wreslting, i think that they have a good plan for that, they dont want to fail

lets wait and see
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

BJ just introduced someone else into the division. Only caught the first name, Kelly something I think. Claimed she's been wrestling for ten years or so and 'paid her dues'.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The only person who seems to fit the bill and wouldn't be unrealistic is someone called Kelly Couture who was trained by El Fuego.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

According to cagematch, she hasn't had a match since 2010. There were two other female wrestlers on cagematch, one of them has had one match since 2009, and the other was Kelly Kelly, so I'd guess it's either a changed name, or DBSommer misheard it.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
WHG

Post by WHG »

Pretty sure the woman Whitmer introduced was Mary Elizabeth Monroe (an Indy wrestler and recent tryout camp attendee who is also BJ's girlfriend) using the name Kelly Cline or something like that. I was opposite the entrance, but from that distance it looked like her. I can't say I've ever seen her work, but her look is closer to what Burnside is describing (and I agree is the direction they should have gone).

I don't watch much women's wrestling, but to me the Hendrix/Leon match fell well short of the YouTube match they taped with Leon and Deonna Purrazzo a couple months ago, which is not a good sign.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

monster mafia wrote:
you right men, i think they need some really good talents, but if roh decides to expand the brand and put effort on womens wreslting, i think that they have a good plan for that, they dont want to fail

lets wait and see
It's really not much different from the last time they tried to do this. I think the only difference is they made a WOH graphic, which is significant because...I dunno.
Last Real Man Hype