Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think they are expecting people to be excited for the division right now because they are not even started the division yet, they are testing talent and building a roster before start doing the storylines and stuff.

Even when they decide to start full force with WOH is going to take time, if someone is expecting it to be great just from the start are just kidding themselves. They are going to need to stick with it and give it time before that can happen.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Yeah, but this way by the point it might become interesting, noone is going to care. Also, they're giving everyone coming to the shows shitty matches, which I can't imagine can be seen as a positive thing in any manner
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t see any other way of doing it.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The other way of doing it would be to not hype it up, just do it. If it's expected that one day the dojo-trained women will improve and become great, let that happen organically and put the spotlight on them when fans start realising it.

Right now, they're like "This is the place to be for the #WOMENOFHONOR, check out these great matches" that aren't anything special and sometimes just bad. So these women who are either established and meh, or new and green, are being built up heavily so that people are likely to stop giving a shit like what has happened the last 3 or 4 times ROH tried this. I would expect there to be more interest from word-of-mouth when they're good than from putting their matches on YouTube while they're not.
Last Real Man Hype
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Or you do it the way ROH was built: you bring in some of the best women from the country, let them have awesome matches against each other, bring in some younger girls you see potential in, let them have matches against those verterans, slowly build them up, and let them gain experience, pick a few top wrestlers you'll be focusing your main storylines on, as time goes on start building more personal feuds, elevate the youngsters to the top by having them in compelling storylines with the vets and each other, and create something that is actually worth seeing.
Instead of just doing some random matches because you trained some girls to be wrestlers and now you don't really know what to do with them.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think the part of having storylines and stuff will come once they decide the roster, right now they are doing this matches to see who are going to be included in the division, and while the matches are not excellent if you put them in your youtube channel people are going to see them more and you can have a better opinion from your fans than if you only show the match to the live crowd.

What they need to do is be patience and not drop the division because the fans are not going crazy the first months, NXT did that and by letting the women improve they got them over huge a few year later.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sadly I actually think this is pretty much it. I don't think any angles or direction is forthcoming beyond "Truth Martini manages Taelor Hendrix, and BJ Whitmer manages what's-her-face". Just some random mediocre matches, no storylines, no title.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Let's be real here : the idea is most likely to crown Leon as the new Queen of Honor or whatever because she's hot and they can plug the Dojo this way. The big issue is that while they already have the ending in mind, they also have no idea how to get there.

The easiest idea would have been a tournament to crown the first women's champion with Leon facing someone who can make her look like a million bucks, aka no one in the current WOH roster. After that, you have all these heels for her to overcome and a year's worth of storyline.

But sure, let's be laz... I mean patient and let those women have nothing matches in front of bored crowds, and then wonder in six months why this failed miserably for the 46th time.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Marketh. wrote:Right now, they're like "This is the place to be for the #WOMENOFHONOR, check out these great matches" that aren't anything special and sometimes just bad.
That's a problem in wrestling in general. Announcers say things like "this is the greatest show of all times" and a fan who just gives it a try may think "if this is the best, I don't want to know what the other shows look like."

Like many other WoH matches, LVD vs CMD wasn't nearly as good as expected, based on their performances in other promotions. It was a bunch of sequences that never made sense as a wrestling match. It was just running, jumping, striking, without a single wristlock or so. They never even locked up during the whole match.
FanSinceHDNet wrote:I'm starting to wonder if nerves are playing a part in some of these matches. Honestly, I have seen everyone involved in the matches posted so far have tighter matches. Bright lights of a TV taping getting to folks?
Can it be that the booker/agent tells them to go this non-chain-wrestling style?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

If they are still in the "deciding on the roster" phase, they should be using these as pre-show matches. That way, if they're sh*tty, you just don't have to put them on the DVD/VOD and don't post them to YouTube.
Big Red Machine

If Veda is suing ROH for it being an "unsafe working environment" why the hell are they letting her wrestle in an ROH ring?
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

So, my question is: has ROH reached a point where they are starting to attract a sect of casual fans?

I ask this because if you compare the feedback on the Facebook page, folks are really enjoying the WOH matches. If you look at the feedback on here and on the YouTube pages, people are noting they are sloppy and aren't necessarily up to par with the NXT matches.

My feeling is that these matches are pretty accepted by the casual fan base and that ROH has slowly but surely seeped themselves into the periphery of the casual fan base. I think it is important to note, too, that there has been comments by the announcers in these matches that more or less, ROH is essentially trying these women out. I don't know if that's a work, shoot, or somewhere in between, but maybe they are trying to gauge interest in particular talents before they start offering contracts, travel, etc?
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:So, my question is: has ROH reached a point where they are starting to attract a sect of casual fans?

I ask this because if you compare the feedback on the Facebook page, folks are really enjoying the WOH matches. If you look at the feedback on here and on the YouTube pages, people are noting they are sloppy and aren't necessarily up to par with the NXT matches.

My feeling is that these matches are pretty accepted by the casual fan base and that ROH has slowly but surely seeped themselves into the periphery of the casual fan base. I think it is important to note, too, that there has been comments by the announcers in these matches that more or less, ROH is essentially trying these women out. I don't know if that's a work, shoot, or somewhere in between, but maybe they are trying to gauge interest in particular talents before they start offering contracts, travel, etc?
This is a very fascinating question, and it would be amazing to get an answer to this for a lot of other things as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we'll ever get one.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Big Red Machine wrote:
FanSinceHDNet wrote:So, my question is: has ROH reached a point where they are starting to attract a sect of casual fans?

This is a very fascinating question, and it would be amazing to get an answer to this for a lot of other things as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we'll ever get one.
I think that would begin to answer some of the other questions, as well.

I mean, in recent years, you have seen ROH take more chances with "athletes" for lack of a better term like TaDarious Thomas, Moose, and Dijak, where as in the very early days, it was limited to some of the more high-powered "workers". I think there has been a relatively smooth transition into a product that both can continue to appeal to the hardcore fans with the top of the card filled with guys like Roddy, reDRagon, Daniels, AJ, etc. but also appealing to more casual fans with character-based wrestlers like Castle and Young while having some of the best of both worlds with guys like Lethal and Adam Cole.

Honestly, a question that needs to be asked is has ROH successfully promoted itself out of its role as a "niche" professional wrestling organization and successfully become at least somewhat mainstream? If that is the case, or they view themselves as such, then promoting the Women of Honor, as is, makes a lot of sense.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

#GIVEWOMENOFHONORACHANCE
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

So... folks watch these Women of Honor matches. Kelly Klein's debut got 5K+ hits in less than 3 hours on Facebook. Just popped up on YouTube, now:

Couple notes on Women of Honor's 2015 reboot (contains spoilers for this match as well as the matches from last Friday):
Spoiler: show
The winningest competitor right now is Veda Scott at 2-0. Kelly Klein, ODB, and Leah Von Dutch are all 1-0. Taeler Hendrix and Mandy Leon are 1-1. At 0-1 are Sumai Sakai, Rae Lynn, Crazy Mary Dobson, Deonna Purrazzo, and Heidi Lovelace.

Ian Riccaboni has called every women's match so far and pending what happened at the Nashville tapings, Brian Gorie has reffed all of the women's matches in something that is either by design or a strange coincidence. Others that have called the matches with Ian are Matt Ryan, Veda Scott, and, judging from Twitter, BJ Whitmer.

It seems like they are finally ready to take the plunge with this for real. The support is there by way of views and comments it seems like. By the looks of things, I would guess Kelly Klein is going to be the standout but I personally would love to see Purrazzo be the underdog babyface that is the one that finally cuts Klein down. Thoughts?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

"We saw her in California, PA". No we didn't since that Hendrix vs. Leon match was cut from the VOD and never made it on the Youtube page, but good to see how much this Riccaboni guy pays attention to stuff like that. Anyway, that was a poor squash to say the least.
FanSinceHDNet wrote:It seems like they are finally ready to take the plunge with this for real. The support is there by way of views and comments it seems like. By the looks of things, I would guess Kelly Klein is going to be the standout but I personally would love to see Purrazzo be the underdog babyface that is the one that finally cuts Klein down. Thoughts?
They don't look ready at all. None of this is on TV yet and once again, they need more than a bunch of cold matches to make this worthwhile.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

The finisher was decent but the match, if we want to call this a match, was bad.

I've seen Ray Lyn wrestle a very green Britt Baker in AIW recently, and she did a good job there. And Kelly Klein (Mary Elizabeth Monroe) is around for several years and usually does well against uneperienced wrestlers.

So why does it happen time and time again that "Women of Honor" matches don't deliver what the matches of the same girls elsewhere promise?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote: And Kelly Klein (Mary Elizabeth Monroe) is around for several years
She had 15-20 matches a year for 4-5 years.She is inexperienced!
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »