Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Duke of Bridgewater

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

It was a special moment for the SHIMMER anniversary indeed, as well as for Portia Perez' retirement.
(Sadly, Portia has to stop wrestling because of neck problems.)

Yes, Lacey is a Doctor. She lives in China, I think. (She was announcer at WWNlive.com's China tour.)
She does custom matches for Lexie Fyfe's Slammin Ladies every then and now, but I think it was her first match in front of an audience in many years.

As far as I know, Daizee hasn't wrestled at all since 2011. She just made one short appearance in CHIKARA, delivering a message for BDK or so.

I don't see either as an active part of ROH, but a special appearance to introduce the next generation might be a good thing. It's probably better than to associate the new girls with a random male stable (without actually using them on TV).
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Signed for GBH XIV 10/24 Dayton

WOMEN OF HONOR
KELLY KLEIN w/ BJ WHITMER VS. RAY LYNN

When Ring of Honor left California, PA, the wrestling world was buzzing: who is Kelly Klein?
BJ Whitmer has become known for adding tremendous young talent to add to the Decade, but Whitmer introduced the physically-imposing Klein, the mystery woman, complete with chiseled arms and black eye, as having over ten years of experience and having paid her dues. Intrigued fans of Women of Honor have lobbied matchmaker Nigel McGuiness, wanting to see this mysterious competitor, and he has delivered a huge Women of Honor contest for Dayton!

Klein is just the latest edition to the rapidly growing Women of Honor. Klein reportedly has her eyes set on nothing short of destruction and will get her first opportunity in Women of Honor action against a fiery youngster who has made her mark in Ohio Valley Wrestling, Ray Lynn. Lynn was trained by Al Snow and has a tremendous win/loss record in two years of competition on the independent circuit. Despite Klein being cloaked in secrecy, Lynn is up for the challenge in Dayton!
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The wrestling world was buzzing. I guess five messages here is this huge viral thing now. Also, this was cut from the VOD so only the few hundreds who were there live saw this angle.

I don't know much about this Ray Lyn chick, but she looks scarily thin and OVW really isn't a big deal anymore so eh.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Duke of Bridgewater

I don't really understand the buzz, as Kelly Klein is obviously Mary Elizabeth Monroe.

Monroe is a solid worker who had a try-out at the recent SHIMMER tapings. She's been in AIW several times, often with Taeler Hendrix. OVW brought her in to wrestle the very unexperienced Rebel. She has worked with Ray Lyn a couple of times too, so this might work somehow.

Ray Lyn however is nobody who seems to fit into ROH, especially a major event like GBH. Sure, she's trained by Al Snow. But she's very green and very thin. I guess this will be just a squash to debut Kelly Klein.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:I don't really understand the buzz, as Kelly Klein is obviously Mary Elizabeth Monroe.
Well, there is no buzz. I get the idea of hyping stuff up, but that's hard to take seriously when they cut the angle where Whitmer introduced her because the Hendrix vs. Leon match was poor enough to not be included on the VOD.
187_Joeism wrote:Sakai vs. Veda
Ugh, I like Veda as a character and manager, but everything she does either looks fake as hell or terribly unsafe. Whoever is in charge of the WOH needs to realize that you can't just bring a bunch of cheap scrubs from the Dojo and seminars and expect great results when there's no base unlike the men.
Duke of Bridgewater

Not sure why the women's matches in ROH are often not as good as those from the same girls in other promotions.
DBSommer wrote:Women of Honor Match: Kelly Kline vs. Ray Lyn

Lyn works out of IWC in Pittsburgh. She was squashed in about a minute and looked terrible in the process. Not even a good squash.
Too bad.

But I saw Kelly Klein (Mary Elizabeth Monroe) in the two Girl Fight Wrestling shows in September. She wrestled Taeler Hendrix in the main event of the first. In the second, she worked with a quite green girl named Khloe. Both times she did a good job. So I think it's a good idea make her an important part of the Women of Honor.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Decent match here, LVD looked good and Crazy Mary was over with the crowd at the end but she was a little sloppy here at times.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Yeah, that wasn't good at all. Also, the guys doing commentary are already pissing me off.

Instead of having two shitty matches, they should have done Klein vs. Dobson since Klein is supposed to be this big mean powerhouse and just let Dobson bump around for her.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

They can still do Dobson vs Klein if they want, i hope they book LVD vs Deona Purrazzo, both looked good in their respective match and i think they can put a solid match.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Thelone wrote:Yeah, that wasn't good at all. Also, the guys doing commentary are already pissing me off.

Instead of having two shitty matches, they should have done Klein vs. Dobson since Klein is supposed to be this big mean powerhouse and just let Dobson bump around for her.
Only been a member for a few months but this seems to be a reoccurring theme. :D

Match was a little sloppy and there were some spots to improve on the commentary but it wasn't awful. I do think they should start pairing some of their more interesting talents together. Would like to see more Purrazzo, Dobson, etc. versus Kelly Klein.

I'm starting to wonder if nerves are playing a part in some of these matches. Honestly, I have seen everyone involved in the matches posted so far have tighter matches. Bright lights of a TV taping getting to folks?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

*facepalm*
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Match can be decent, OBD can go in the ring and can carry Hendrix i hope.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

odb vs takahashi in vegas was very good
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:Match can be decent, OBD can go in the ring and can carry Hendrix i hope.
And here's your problem right there : "maybe decent" is not enough when you're (supposedly) trying to put your new women's division on the map. No one cared about NXT's women's division until they started having those big Takeover matches.
monster mafia wrote:odb vs takahashi in vegas was very good
Hum, I wonder why.

It's actually baffling to me that they got it right in this random one-off, yet they can't seem to replicate it now that they're "trying".
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

@TheLone: It took years for the NXT womens to get to the level they are now, you have to start somewhere and have patience. Hoping that they will have awesome match right from the start it´s unrealistic.

Signed for Nashville also:

Veda Scott made an immediate impact on the new Women of Honor division, defeating international veteran Sumie Sakai in Lockport, NY as part of the RELOADED Tour. Fueled by that victory, the always-vocal Scott immediately demanded that she be given more competition. This confidence - and some say, overconfidence - seems to be limitless, as Veda openly and obnoxiously declared she is fully prepared to take on and defeat absolutely any woman in the world.

Night after night, Ring of Honor delivers the absolute best professional wrestling on the planet. With the advent of the new Women of Honor, scouting top female athletes has become a major priority. If Veda Scott thinks she can defeat the best, then ROH officials are more than happy to watch her try. Right now, there is one particularly in demand talent who was declared a "must" for the new Women of Honor: HEIDI LOVELACE!

Hailing from Lafayette, IN, Heidi Lovelace has been nothing but impressive her entire professional wrestling career. Taking on both men and women, Lovelace has shown that bravery and heart can stand against size and strength any day! She has developed her own unique, hybrid fighting style incorporating elements of lucha libre, technical prowess, and combinations of devastating kicks. Lovelace is renowned for her ability to absorb incredible amounts of punishment while she refuses to ever stop fighting. One of the most buzzed about young athletes in all of professional wrestling, Heidi Lovelace comes to Nashville fully prepared to seize this opportunity and establish her place among the WOMEN OF HONOR!

This WOMEN OF HONOR feature is part of our massive return to Nashville on November 20th! You scan be there live and in person on the ROAD TO FINAL BATTLE. To get your tickets to this television taping event, click HERE!

Ring of Honor Wrestling Presents
ROAD TO FINAL BATTLE
Friday, November 20th, 2015
The Fairgrounds Nashville
625 Smith Avenue - Nashville, TN 37203
7:30 PM CST bell time
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Heidi Lovelace is very good!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Thelone wrote:
Ugh, I like Veda as a character and manager, but everything she does either looks fake as hell or terribly unsafe. Whoever is in charge of the WOH needs to realize that you can't just bring a bunch of cheap scrubs from the Dojo and seminars and expect great results when there's no base unlike the men.
Veda's been getting a lot of push in AIW for a while now as a wrestler on the main roster as well as the ladies night out stuff.

A quick look on youtube has her posted in matches for ROH :) QPro which I believe is out on the west coast. TNA, AIW, RWE, SHIMMER, Beyond Wrestling, MCW, PWX, Bodyslam Wrestling, HWA, Pro Wrestling Respect, WSU. And I'm stopping now as some of them are repeats in the same promotions, with AIW being the bulk of them.

The point being, ROH isn't the only one that seems to think she's worth hiring, and some of them are doing it on a regular basis. I don't actually keep up much on women's wrestling as I don't have a lot of interest in it, though, so I have no idea how many they're bringing in are actual scrubs, or they just aren't having that good of matches when they get the chance. It happens.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:@TheLone: It took years for the NXT womens to get to the level they are now, you have to start somewhere and have patience. Hoping that they will have awesome match right from the start it´s unrealistic.
That's not the point. You can't expect people to be excited for this division if you only give them decent 2-star matches at best and no storyline to sink their teeth into. That's exactly why this division failed about a hundred times before and why it will fail again if they don't change a thing.

As for match quality, that's also the booker's job to put together a compelling matchup. Instead of putting a Kelly Klein vs. "terrible sack of bones from OVW" Ray Lyn, how about a bumping machine like Dobson or Lovelace ? Sure, they can "do it later", but first impressions are key and so far, they are pretty underwhelming to say the least.

@DBSummer

Look, Veda isn't awful and I can easily name a dozen women who are worse than her, but she's very hit or miss and I wouldn't trust her to carry someone.