Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
iamloco724

Women of Honor Thread

Post by iamloco724 »

Anyone else think they should bring back some women's wrestling, maybe even establish a belt there is alot of talented women out there wouldn't hurt since they are now airing nationally to add this into the fold.

What does everyone think?
ROHFan25

Re: Women's wrestling in ROH

Post by ROHFan25 »

If they could build a division around 5-10 girls that can work to the level of the NXT 4, I'd be all for it. Sasha Banks is one of the top 10 best wrestlers in America IMO, male or female. The problem is, most female workers just aren't that entertaining and in front of a crowd like ROH, it could be a disaster.

Who would you build a division around? There's nobody really on the Indys that can carry a division.
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

ROHFan25 wrote:If they could build a division around 5-10 girls that can work to the level of the NXT 4, I'd be all for it. Sasha Banks is one of the top 10 best wrestlers in America IMO, male or female. The problem is, most female workers just aren't that entertaining and in front of a crowd like ROH, it could be a disaster.

Who would you build a division around? There's nobody really on the Indys that can carry a division.
It definitely wouldn't be an easy task, but I think because of the NXT women people are more open to it then ever, start off slow and feel it out, Santana Garrett isn't bad, Candice LeRae, Tessa Blanchard, throw Maria in there and the likes of Veda and Mandy, would it be flawless? Definitely not but everything takes some work I just don't think it would hurt to broaden there appeal to some and being national now it wouldn't be bad for the company to to give women a chance to do more
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I don't think it would hurt at all, and wouldn't mind seeing a womens match on every other episode of ROH TV,
RIP314

Post by RIP314 »

I've always loved good women's wrestling and ROH back in the day was one of those companies that would push hard for great women's matches. I would love to see it return, I think a good partnership with a company like Shimmer, like they've had in past would work really well. I don't see the need for a title right now if they just partner with Shimmer and promote their champion we don't need to mess around with adding another title belt.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

ROHFan25 wrote:The problem is, most female workers just aren't that entertaining and in front of a crowd like ROH, it could be a disaster.

Allysin Kay, Amber Gallows, Athena, Barbi Hayden, Courtney Rush, Crazy Mary Dobson, Heidi Lovelace, Ivelisse Velez, Jessie Belle, Jordynne Grace, La Rosa Negra, Leah Von Dutch, Nicole Matthews, Portia Perez, Sassy Stephie, just to name a few, are charismatic and very good in the ring. The problem is definetely not a lack of available talent.

However, as said in the other thread...
Duke of Bridgewater wrote:I watch more women's than men's wrestling and I discovered ROH mainly because the SHIMMER athletes worked there. I'm glad that many promotions, like AIW or Resistance Pro, take the women much more serious than it was usual a few years ago.

However...
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:... it just never seems to work on ROH shows for some reason.
In the past, ROH added a women's match every than and now, usually much shorter than the men's matches on the same card position. So the ladies couldn't show their real potential, as they can in SHIMMER. As a result, this type of booking pissed off the fans who love women's wrestling as well as those who hate it.

I would love to see ROH resume their cooperation with SHIMMER, so a women's feud could have an actual goal: a title shot. I mean, if the storylines with MsChif and Athena a couple of years ago hadn't been cut short by injuries, what would have been the price for the winner?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Maria Kanellis is known as “The First Lady of Ring of Honor” on television, as she and her husband Mike Bennett star weekly on the program on Destination America. The former WWE Diva opened up about ROH in a new interview with Channel Guide MagBlog. Below are some of the highlights.

She opened up about ROH maybe one day having a women’s wrestling division:

“Currently, we only have a one-hour show,” she said, “so it’s really difficult to highlight female wrestlers the way Ring of Honor would want to do it. Ring of Honor never does things half-speed. Whenever Ring of Honor decides to do something, it’s always going to be full-force. When we start that division, it will be when we can give adequate time to female wrestling because what we don’t want is to diminish how great these women truly are.”
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

– ROH is looking to test an all women’s show sometime very soon. ROH is looking for the division to be like some of the indie groups that have booked arenas and done afternoon women’s shows taped for DVD releases prior to the evening men’s shows (that also include women’s matches).

Ring of Honor will be doing a test run show called Women of Honor at an upcoming TV taping

As of this writing, there are no plans on including this as part of future episodes of ROH TV on local Sinclair affiliates or Destination America. They’re looking at bringing in women from Japan for the first show.

Basically, the show will be a separate show from ROH’s weekly TV series on both networks listed above.

– On a side noted, ROH Booker Hunter Johnston is headed to Japan soon as he will be setting up some business ideas for 2016 between ROH and New Japan Pro Wrestling.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Perfect way to release these, and this will be a hugely debated if need be, would be to Ringside members of the website. Make it an exclusive, get more people on there. They should've done that with the Future of Honor shows, too.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Shayna Baszler will have her first wrestling match on september 26th, they could brought her back.
ImageImage
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

The only way I see Women of Honor being taken seriously is if you bring in the very best around the country/world. If not the best, then there's no point to try at all.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Agreed, you've got a lot of people who legitimately believe Sasha Banks is one of the best in the world right now and NXT are putting on MOTYCs with fucking divas. So don't bother with a Women of Honor division if you're just going to be embarrassing yourselves with the usual mediocre women's wrestling. Don't build it around Mandy Leon just because she graduated your dojo.
Last Real Man Hype
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

AndyDiaz wrote:The only way I see Women of Honor being taken seriously is if you bring in the very best around the country/world. If not the best, then there's no point to try at all.
I completely disagree. I mean sure, bring a few veterans to help the younger girls improve and reach a minimum level of quality from the get-go, but the point should be to build up the division from scratch and you know damn well that ROH in all its cheapness will do just that.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Duke of Bridgewater

"bring in the very best" vs "help the younger girls improve and reach a minimum level of quality" - That's a bit too academic for me.

Whom would you bring in, either as the very best or as younger girls to improve? Or, if you're not familiar with too many female workers, on the level of which male ROH wrestlers should they be able to perform?
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

World class female workers most likely aren't gonna wanna come here if there's nothing already in motion for them. The real question is would Women of Honor be its own entity, or would it be bled into ROH programming? The idealist in me definitely wants it all in one package, but the difference in crowd enthusiasm may hurt the product overall. On the same merit if WOH was a separate entity, it's difficult to see how it would begin to grow.
It's the right time to have it set up though. You never know if WWE are gonna get bored of trying a womens revolution and let some people go, plus there could even be 1 or 2 to pick up following a possible/probable folding of TNA. and you never know who'll sign when it becomes a viable career option
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:"bring in the very best" vs "help the younger girls improve and reach a minimum level of quality" - That's a bit too academic for me.

Whom would you bring in, either as the very best or as younger girls to improve? Or, if you're not familiar with too many female workers, on the level of which male ROH wrestlers should they be able to perform?
Cherry Bomb is definitely someone I would use as my top heel. On the babyface side, I would have picked Mia Yim if she wasn't wasting her time on Impact or Athena before she signed with WWE, but LuFisto would be fine in this role.

Barbi Hayden is someone I'm super high on and she's virtually unknown because she mostly works in Texas. Tessa Blanchard is still pretty green, but is showing a ton of potential. You can also add Jenny Rose, Nicole Savoy, Hania, Kimber Lee and even Brittany Blake. All of them + Veda, Mandy Leon and Taeler Hendrix and you have a pretty solid division.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think they should mix, bring some stablish girls and have your homegrown, that way the veterans can teach the youngers.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Cherry Bomb broke her collarbone working for WSU :|
Duke of Bridgewater

Five years ago, ROH ran Pro Wrestling Respect. (It later resumed as "Wrestling Is Respect" during the CHIKARA hiatus.)

In PWR, ROH students wrestled each other and veterans. For the Women of Honor, there were Rayna Von Tosh, Jamilia Craft (Jenny Rose), "Bonesaw" Jessie Brook and later Mia Yim working with their trainer Daizee Haze and MsChif. It was a good concept, but unfortunately only the first two of the six PWR events have been released on DVD.

Maybe ROH should try something like this again. The demand for DVDs probably wasn't that big, but fans might give VOD a try.