Women of Honor Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Women of Honor Thread

Post by Wilson »

We’re all talking about different things now?
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:21 am Regardless of her intentions or culpability, the fact remains that she gets more attention than her position on the card warrants (she is essentially the face of the division when the logical choice would have been Kelly Klein based on the booking). I don't think Roman Reigns is at fault in Vince's obsession with making him the top babyface, either, but that doesn't mean that Roman isn't being overpushed and that criticism of his push (and negative response to the idea of him as the top babyface) isn't warranted.
I mean, sure. She’s not good enough to lead a division. She’s hardly ready for a roster spot at all. I’m not arguing for her as a talent or why she has been put into that position in the first place. When I say that the backlash was corrosive, I mean that it was openly sexist and denigrating. It doesn’t take much to discern what’s valid criticism and what’s vile behavior being performed due to the anonymity of the Internet. I basically have no patience for the latter and don’t really wish to disentangle it.
famicommander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm Mandy Leon is the "face" of the division because she's the hottest
Perhaps she has the fits best in the "traditional sex appeal” thing that wrestling used to do more of decades ago but her look doesn’t jive in so well in today’s wrestling scene. She looks as out of place as bodybuilders in the men’s division currently tend to.

The only two longstanding women regulars they have are Leon and Klein. I would choose face Leon over Klein as well if I had the choice.

(At that, I'm just going to take my leave. I really only have so much to say about WOH.)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Sumie Sakai is a longstanding regular too
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:49 pm Sumie Sakai is a longstanding regular too
Or they could have made an effort to find a very effective top babyface to build around. Candice LeRae would have been a perfect choice, as she already has something of a name but the idea of her wrestling women is decently fresh, plus she can cut a decent promo, is a great worker, and is probably the single best female seller I've ever seen (I don't watch a lot of Joshi, but I can't imagine any of them are that much better than she is, and certainly not better enough to warrant the cost of flying them in), so she seems like kind of a perfect choice for top babyface.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 pm We’re all talking about different things now?
So it seems. I was talking about the increased criticism of the fact that she has been getting such a push based on the revelation that she and Delirious were dating, not about anything said about Mandy as person.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Brandi Rhodes makes her WOH debut at the next tapings, which is awesome, because if there is anything WOH needs, it's another woman that couldn't wrestle her way out of a paper bag
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

brandi rhodes the queen of strong style.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:21 pm
Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 pm We’re all talking about different things now?
So it seems. I was talking about the increased criticism of the fact that she has been getting such a push based on the revelation that she and Delirious were dating, not about anything said about Mandy as person.
My point was earlier, I don't understand what push people are referring to.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Brandi isn't very good but now they can introduce them as "Cody and Brandi Rhodes" at least.

She's still very inexperienced. She should probably be working Future of Honor, not Women of Honor, but she has at least shown a willingness to take big bumps over in Japan. I'd like to see Kelly Klein ragdoll her all over the ring ala Lesnar.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Next week's episode:

- Klein vs Karen Q vs Deonna Purazzo
- Leon vs Rose
- Wolfe vs Sakai

And.... Joe Koff will be on commentary with Riccabonni lol

Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:13 pm Next week's episode:

- Klein vs Karen Q vs Deonna Purazzo
- Leon vs Rose
- Wolfe vs Sakai

And.... Joe Koff will be on commentary with Riccabonni lol

WHAT! Koff? Bah.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Why?

It had better be just to announce a Women of Honor World Championship and then get the hell out.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

just announce a Women of Honor World Championship already damn!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

In this particular instance, J**koff is a legitimate draw for me. I have to know what the hell he's going to say about a part of the product that I'm sure he knows zilch about.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Wilson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 am In this particular instance, J**koff is a legitimate draw for me. I have to know what the hell he's going to say about a part of the product that I'm sure he knows zilch about.
"Well Ian, you know, like I always say, these women are fantastic. They really are. And our fans, the Ring of Honor fans, know their fantastic, and that's all that really matters, Ian. Their fantastic. They really are."

This'll be verbatim the jist of his commentary.

However, if someone convinced him to drop a, "WHAT A MANEUVER" I'll instantly love it.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 am In this particular instance, J**koff is a legitimate draw for me. I have to know what the hell he's going to say about a part of the product that I'm sure he knows zilch about.
He was subdued for the most part. His thoughts on the Cody traveling champion vs. SBG were pretty shallow. Koff had to have a game plan for what he was trying to accomplish... and it wasn't bad. Seriously.

I was anxiously awaiting something to drive me fucking crazy like Gabe screeching or Corino continuously​ popping bad jokes or Kevin Kelly cluelessly stumbling over storylines.

Koff was decent and inoffensive on commentary.

The 3 way main event was pretty good. Check it out.

Avoid Rose/Leon. I thought it was plodding and exposed how green both are.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

jenny rose is not new...he have almost 7 years of experience

i hope mandy improves in stardom,that is a good thing for her.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

If we didn't have enought with 10-match cards in every 3-hour PPV, now you can add another Women of Honor match. Thank you Joe Koff.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

For the level at which most commentators at at these days, my God, Joe Koff did rather well. He by no means did good, but who nowadays is truly "good"? I'm shocked he didn't make more mistakes to be fair.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 pm For the level at which most commentators at at these days, my God, Joe Koff did rather well. He by no means did good, but who nowadays is truly "good"? I'm shocked he didn't make more mistakes to be fair.
Mark the date. TDS and I are of the same​ opinion on Koff and his commentating debut.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm
The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 pm For the level at which most commentators at at these days, my God, Joe Koff did rather well. He by no means did good, but who nowadays is truly "good"? I'm shocked he didn't make more mistakes to be fair.
Mark the date. TDS and I are of the same​ opinion on Koff and his commentating debut.
Throw me in there as well, so now all we need is fammicommander to agree, then SuperSonic or someone can call Meltzer to give him confirmation of the on-coming apocalypse.