Let's have a round of applause for Truth Martini

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BlackLesnar

Let's have a round of applause for Truth Martini

Post by BlackLesnar »

The first and only manager to manage a wrestler to the ROH World Championship is now the first and only manager to manage TWO wrestlers to the ROH World Championship.

Goddamn.

Hats off to Hoopla. HoT DVD when?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Marketh.

Re: Let's have a round of applause for Truth Martini

Post by Marketh. »

I dunno, does Julius Smokes count as a manager or was he just a hype man?
Last Real Man Hype
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Does anyone really think Truth adds anything to the Jay Lethal character? He's a pretty bland manager IMO. Brings nothing to the table...he's entertaining sure but he doesn't enhance Lethal or the HOT at all.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Yes, addressing the title of the thread, much applause is due for Truth. He's been an integral part of many stories involving gold throughout the last five years.
ROHFan25 wrote:Does anyone really think Truth adds anything to the Jay Lethal character? He's a pretty bland manager IMO. Brings nothing to the table...he's entertaining sure but he doesn't enhance Lethal or the HOT at all.
I think he helped Lethal a lot during his heel transition, but Lethal is cogent enough in his promos to not need a mouthpiece. Martini definitely has a place on the roster, just perhaps not at the side of Lethal any longer. Might turn out better for the both of them.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Lethal said he helped him a lot out of the ring to make him feel confortable as a heel, right now i think Lethal has grown enough to not need Martini but we are great together, i don´t want them to split.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I guess that's a good point, but that's more of a behind the scenes type thing. I'm talking about Truth as a character/manager. He doesn't really enhance the acts that he manages, which is the purpose of a manager IMO.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

ROHFan25 wrote:I guess that's a good point, but that's more of a behind the scenes type thing. I'm talking about Truth as a character/manager. He doesn't really enhance the acts that he manages, which is the purpose of a manager IMO.
I couldn't see Roddy winning the title when he did w/o Truth since he was a charisma vacuum. Rhino's best use was with Martini. Elgin came along under his tutelage. Taven's run, flawed as it was, would have been worse w/o Martini. Dijak needs someone as a mouthpeice as well. Even with Lethal, he's useful as someone Lethal needs to talk to, otherwise he sounds more like 'Bitter Killer Instinct' Lethal, which I did like, but gets old fast.

The only guys that didn't really get a lot from Martini's management were Able & Raymond, who ended up leaving just as they started to catch on (and Martini's character didn't really take off until he picked up Roddy anyway). The Headbangers, which the love child of Heenan and Hayman couldn't have gotten over. and J. Diesel, because he's J. Diesel.

I guess it's an eye of the beholder thing.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Marketh. wrote:I dunno, does Julius Smokes count as a manager or was he just a hype man?
Neither. He was Homicide's hanger-on who barked a lot.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

187_Joeism wrote:Lethal said he helped him a lot out of the ring to make him feel confortable as a heel, right now i think Lethal has grown enough to not need Martini but we are great together, i don´t want them to split.
At this point, The House of Truth need Jay Lethal more than Jay Lethal need The House of Truth.
ImageImage
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Truth and Lethal are entertaining as Hell together, that's enough reason to keep the pairing going. It's Dijak and Diesel that are completely unnecessary. Especially when Seleziya was a much more interesting lackey.
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Truth is a key part of the act. Dijak is fine. J. Diesel is hopeless - Selysia was more effective in that spot.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Marketh. wrote:Truth and Lethal are entertaining as Hell together, that's enough reason to keep the pairing going.
Who can forget moments like this?

Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I think they play off each other very well. It's kinda like Punk and Heyman in WWE, Punk obviously didn't need the help but the pairing still made it better.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I think Truth was valuable to Lethal early in his TV Title reign. Especially with the proven fact that the fastest way to gold is through the House of Truth.
Lethal certainly doesn't need Truth anymore but I'd hate to see them break it up now. I think to evolve Lethal's character and distinguish his World reign from TV reign, Martini should take a more background approach with Lethal (more adviser than actually helping Lethal win matches) and take the amped up approach with Dijak.
Martini really is the best manager out there currently in my opinion.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I think Truth was valuable to Lethal early in his TV Title reign. Especially with the proven fact that the fastest way to gold is through the House of Truth.
Lethal certainly doesn't need Truth anymore but I'd hate to see them break it up now. I think to evolve Lethal's character and distinguish his World reign from TV reign, Martini should take a more background approach with Lethal (more adviser than actually helping Lethal win matches) and take the amped up approach with Dijak.

Heyman is the best manager out there* Bruce Tharpe would be #2 IMO

Martini is pretty average at everything. I'm not saying he's bad...he's just kinda there.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Leo C wrote:I think they play off each other very well. It's kinda like Punk and Heyman in WWE, Punk obviously didn't need the help but the pairing still made it better.

That's a really good comparison. I think their relationship is really similar to the 2
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

ROHFan25 wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I think Truth was valuable to Lethal early in his TV Title reign. Especially with the proven fact that the fastest way to gold is through the House of Truth.

Heyman is the best manager out there* Bruce Tharpe would be #2 IMO

Martini is pretty average at everything. I'm not saying he's bad...he's just kinda there.
I didn't really consider Heyman since he's more of a mouthpiece. He isn't on every show, and his biggest successes have been with guys who would have been super over and a champion without him. Best promo? Definitely. But I'd argue he's not number one when it comes to total package for a manager in his current role. Even he'll claim that he's not a manager but an advocate.

You have a good point with Tharpe.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

It'd be cool to see Lethal break away from Truth towards the midway point of his reign, maybe have Truth turn face and side with someone to challenge Lethal, maybe Dijak, but probably someone different.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

AndyDiaz wrote:It'd be cool to see Lethal break away from Truth towards the midway point of his reign, maybe have Truth turn face and side with someone to challenge Lethal, maybe Dijak, but probably someone different.
Face Truth sounds awful.

No really, I thought his voice was bad before...
I am cosmetically pleasing.
ZTStyles

Post by ZTStyles »

The Punk/Heyman comparison for Truth/Lethal is spot on.

They work so well together and play off of each other so well, why ruin that? I'm sure that eventually they will go their separate ways, but for now I hope that it is a long way off.
Check out the An Honorable Mention podcast... I voice stuff on it!