Remember Erick Stevens?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
RoaringElbow

Remember Erick Stevens?

Post by RoaringElbow »

That is all.
187_Joeism

Re: Remember Erick Stevens?

Post by 187_Joeism »

Yeah he was the Next Big Thing when he arrived but apart from his feud with Strong (And that was more FIP than ROH) he was a bit disappointing, the booking was the main problem i guess.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

I loved him, but as he lost weight I felt he lost a lot of what made him stood out. Imagine Elgin trimming down today, ROH would lose one it unique characters. HIs fued with Roderick Strong was excellent and gave us some great matches and he looked great getting wins over Aries and Danielson in early 2008 whilst defending the FIP title. He was also part on an interesting team with Strong during the SnS fued, but they never really reached their potential as a destructive unit in the tag division.

In being trimmed down and losing the Mohawk he became just another guy and lost his way, partly the bookings fault but more his own
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

Hell yes.

Roderick Strong vs Erick Stevens has to be one of my favorite things to happen in ROH.

The Supercard of Honor III's brawl they had may be my all-time favorite moment in wrestling.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
Nice Guy Eddie

Post by Nice Guy Eddie »

I liked Erick Stevens. Being larger than most of the roster, he really stood as something different. I was a fan of the mohawk and the choo-choo. I enjoyed his feud w/ Roderick Strong, especially his FIP title match against Strong @ Final Battle '07. The crowd was really into him winning the title.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I liked Stevens, he always brought something to the table. As others have said, his feud with Roddy was his best run but even later on, he was entertaining IMO. He was about the only redeeming quality of the 2010 version of The Embassy (Nana excluded of course).
astoph

Post by astoph »

classic-cabana wrote:I loved him, but as he lost weight I felt he lost a lot of what made him stood out. Imagine Elgin trimming down today, ROH would lose one it unique characters. HIs fued with Roderick Strong was excellent and gave us some great matches and he looked great getting wins over Aries and Danielson in early 2008 whilst defending the FIP title. He was also part on an interesting team with Strong during the SnS fued, but they never really reached their potential as a destructive unit in the tag division.

In being trimmed down and losing the Mohawk he became just another guy and lost his way, partly the bookings fault but more his own
This. And then to top it all off he's booked into the Embassy, in which, IMO, in 2010, was the place people went to die (career-wise).
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

TelkEvolon wrote:Roderick Strong vs Erick Stevens has to be one of my favorite things to happen in ROH.
Their finish at Respect is Earned II is etched in my brain forever.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
jsopfe

Post by jsopfe »

im so glad this guy is gone from ROH, suprised to see all the love for him here
Rooskie

Post by Rooskie »

The Roderick Strong feud was the only good thing Erick Stevens did in ROH, in my humble opinion. It was a great feud with lots of great, brutal matches. I was there at SuperCard III, and that was an unreal beating. Despite Erick's big high, there was a two year lull that made his matches skippable and forgettable. There's a lot of guys I'd like to see get a second shot before Stevens.
GardenStateSaint

jsopfe wrote:im so glad this guy is gone from ROH, suprised to see all the love for him here
Where was the disconnect for you?
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

Watched his match with Aries and Davey at Breakout from early 2008 earlier.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Elgin from back then - very entertaining and a great foil to the smaller guys.
GardenStateSaint

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:a great foil to the smaller guys.
This right here is a incredibly valid point that I feel isn't grasped more often than not.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I got into ROH by ordering Respect is Earned on PPV.
Stevens didn't wrestle on the PPV portion that I saw, but when he made the save for Delirious after his match with Strong, he looked quite impressive. And his mohawk was pretty damn cool. So needless to say, Stevens was one wrestler that got me into ROH. So I do miss him, but I'm with others, he lost some cool points when he trimmed down and lost the mohawk. I understand why he did it, I just wasn't happy with it.
jsopfe

Post by jsopfe »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
jsopfe wrote:im so glad this guy is gone from ROH, suprised to see all the love for him here
Where was the disconnect for you?
he was a big guy, yet he wrestled like he was grizzly redwood - he would oversell every single move and then pull a cena and come back and win the match at the end.....plus when he turned heel he does a babyface move ... the choo choo train splash - wtf