Should roh go to smart mark video?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Renegade121

Should roh go to smart mark video?

Post by Renegade121 »

Is it a must for roh to go to smark mark videos for better production and quicker dvd releases
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Re: Should roh go to smart mark video?

Post by HarpoonIPA »

NO, Screw DVD's Streaming Video is the future
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I agree that, as an overall strategy streaming and iPPV is something ROH should focus on - I do wish they could develop a service similar to SMV's - whereby they bring about the quick release of the live shows and sell them to those of us fans who still love DVD's and buy every show as they are released.

Lets face it, the physical packaging and quality of the DVD isn't necessarily the same from SMV as it is from ROH. But SMV's VQ/production is always decent - and if ROH could get their DVD's out quicker and in smaller batches for the smaller shows, then I think they'd enjoy bigger profit lines on shows like Norfolk, Cincinnati, Gateway To Honor etc
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

I think it would be beneficial for them to use Smart Mark. At the very least, they need to implement Smart Mark's tactic of being able to download the shows straight from the site onto your computer for a reduced price. I know a few people who ordered the first CHIKARA show of the year using that service when they would have otherwise not purchased it.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
NorthBayfan001

Post by NorthBayfan001 »

No. If they went that route, they would be releasing DVD-Rs, which is the reason SMV can download and ship DVDs, down't matter to them if they sell a download or DVD-R, they can just burn a copy right away, no extra cost. ROH has to press and sell quite a number of DVDs in order to make a profit. If they had a download mode on the day they released the DVD and they only sold 100 DVDs, they would lose money. Also, I enjoy having DVDs that will last, unlike DVD-Rs that will crap out after a few years.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

NorthBayfan001 wrote:No. If they went that route, they would be releasing DVD-Rs, which is the reason SMV can download and ship DVDs, down't matter to them if they sell a download or DVD-R, they can just burn a copy right away, no extra cost. ROH has to press and sell quite a number of DVDs in order to make a profit. If they had a download mode on the day they released the DVD and they only sold 100 DVDs, they would lose money. Also, I enjoy having DVDs that will last, unlike DVD-Rs that will crap out after a few years.
T0his. There is no way I would pay $20 for two DVD-rs which as said above would turn into coasters in years to come.

There is nothing wrong with the actual physical DVD ROH puts out and the last couple have improved remarkably production wise. Its just the little errors that need fixing such as graphics, timing of replays/entrances etc and they are usually a result of unprofessionalism during the live shows.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

NorthBayfan001 wrote: If they had a download mode on the day they released the DVD and they only sold 100 DVDs, they would lose money. Also, I enjoy having DVDs that will last, unlike DVD-Rs that will crap out after a few years.
Yeah but the download lasts longer then either.

Really its becoming so easy to watch digital media on TV that it feels like a DVD will just become more and more unnecessary. If done right, the pros of digital media will far outweigh that of DVD (as pertains to me at least).

DIGITAL MEDIA
+ Better Non-Compressed Video Quality
+ Much Cheaper Product
+ Free Shipping For World
+ Available In 48 Hours
+ On A Format That Won't Expire
+ Good For Environment
- No DVD Case

DVD
+ You Get A DVD Case With Cover
- Compressed Video Quality
- More Expensive Product
- Expensive Shipping
- Only Available After 4 to 8 Weeks
- On A Format That Will Soon Expire
- Bad For Environment
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

The downloads are a great new feature at Smart Mark Video. International shipping is quite expensive, and the space in the DVD rack is limited. A small HDD can contain 100 DVDs. I think I will buy a lot of downloads in the future, and only some real important shows on DVD.
HarpoonIPA wrote:Screw DVD's Streaming Video is the future
Streaming, to watch online without downloading, is nothing for me. The quality is usually not so good, and if a show is not worth to be watched twice, it's probably not worth to be watched once anyway.

I don't know if it's good for new ROH shows.
But I think they should consider it for out-of-print DVDs. To reissue them on real DVD, they have to press a large batch. If they can sell only a small percentage of it, they lose money. For this, DVD-R and/or downloads are the solution.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

What about an iPad/iPhone app? Anyone interested?
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Good DVDR media is very unlikely to "crap out" now. Now, you obviously still run the risk, but it's extremely unlikely. I still have SMV DVDs from 2001 that play flawlessly, and that's when they were using utter crap media.

This topic would have been prevalent before the Sinclair purchase, or more specifically 3-4 years ago. The company is owned by a multi-million dollar corporation now. Go bug PWG about this, please.

The future is streaming dlds and making VOBs/ISOs available for people to burn their own copies. I'd be pretty stunned if hard copies being delivered through the mail exists in 5 years.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

I'd love to see a streaming/download service.

The quality will often be better, and we don't have to wait for delivery and pay shipping to UK
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

No, I don't really have any issue with how ROH's DVDs are being put out.

If they were running like DGUSA, then I'd probably agree.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Just looking at SMV and am tempted to check out some CHIKARA, the idea of downloading it straight to your own device and not having to wait for it to ship does appeal. Id be tempted to continue with EVOLVE (i have upto 5 on dvd) if I could download shows rather than stream.

As for ROH for the time being Ill contnue buying DVDs, itll be a very hard to break that habit.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

classic-cabana wrote:Just looking at SMV and am tempted to check out some CHIKARA
I just bought my first Chikara show because of that. Its way better in my opinion. Feel like watching a show? Push a button and in 10 minutes you can start watching it.

Plus sooo much cheaper.
Last edited by Mdodmod on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Mdodmod wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:Just looking at SMV and am tempted to check out some CHIKARA
I just bought my first Chikara show because of that. Its way better in my opinion. Want to watch a show? Push a button and in 10 minutes you can start watching it.
Ive just purchased/downloaded PWG Steen Wolf and Fear for $7.99 each from highspots, as well as a CHIKARA show, plenty to watch this weekend.

Definately has its benefits, half as much for the show and no shipping to UK, plus no waiting weeks for them to ship
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

classic-cabana wrote: I've just purchased/downloaded PWG Steen Wolf and Fear for $7.99 each from highspots, as well as a CHIKARA show, plenty to watch this weekend.
Had no idea you could. I'm going to buy both those PWG shows today.

My Grand Total For Those Two Shows
Digitally: $14.98
On DVD: $40.28
*I'm from Canada, shipping would have been $10.30

Its just not worth the extra $25.30 to watch the events off of a disc.
For $40.28 I can instead buy 5 shows digitally and still pay less.

Just companies need do it right and offer great quality and speedy download and everything.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Watched CHIKARA Cibernectico from last year, decent show but the quality was perfect, full screen and no problems. Will definately download from SMV again.

As for PWG Steen Wolf, the quality wasnt perfect and couldnt watch full screen. I dont know where the issue lies (Highspots or PWG).

Id definately buy from SMV again over Highspots. If ROH gave the opportunity to download shows of the quality of SMV then Id definately get the B-shows and the bigger shows Id still buy on DVD.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

classic-cabana wrote:Watched CHIKARA Cibernectico from last year, decent show but the quality was perfect, full screen and no problems. Will definately download from SMV again.

As for PWG Steen Wolf, the quality wasnt perfect and couldnt watch full screen. I dont know where the issue lies (Highspots or PWG).

Id definately buy from SMV again over Highspots. If ROH gave the opportunity to download shows of the quality of SMV then Id definately get the B-shows and the bigger shows Id still buy on DVD.
Agreed classic cabana, and thats the thing, you gotta do it right. Can't just put up a bad quality video up for download and think everyone will be happy just because its cheap and accessible. You got put the effort into making sure the downloads are of high quality and contain no issues with full screen playback. Now and days half assing this kind of stuff isn't acceptable. Smart Mark Video has much better quality then High Spots (based on my very limited test done today).
sderiis

Post by sderiis »

DVD is already far in the past. It is amazing how technology changed everything around in just a few years. And it does not stop, new smart devices keep appearing every day. What are your recent purchases? I have bought a new fitness bracelet for myself. It has many useful functions to control your everyday activity. You Find Necessary Smart Devices Easy on the 4Prototypes site.