ROH War of the Worlds 2015 (May 12 2015) Quick Review

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Recall

ROH War of the Worlds 2015 (May 12 2015) Quick Review

Post by Recall »

I’m late to the party as I haven’t watched any modern ROH in years as the last thing I saw was the excellent Final Battle 2010. This is not going to feature much in the way of overly detailed thoughts but I wanted to at least share my star ratings for each match as I watch the event.

ROH War of the Worlds 2015 iPPV (12th May 2015)

Delirious vs. Gedo *1/2
Roderick Strong vs. Kushida ****1/4
Jay Lethal vs. Watanabe **
The Kingdom vs. The Young Bucks vs. The Addiction **1/2
Michael Elgin vs. Tetsuya Naito **1/2
reDRagon vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger ***
Adam Cole vs. AJ Styles ***3/4
The Briscoes vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada ***1/4

Thoughts: Opening match was typical Delirious nonsense. Strong vs. Kushida was exceptional and a thrilling watch with the high impact goodness you could really get behind. Strong has always been a dependable talent to mesh with anyone and bring out their best. Lethal & Watanabe started off super strong but just went downhill fast, it really should have been shorter. 3 way tag team match was meandering indy nonsense that was more about being a move showcase than an actual match including eleventy thousand super kicks. Elgin vs. Naito seemed to miss a step and again it was just stuff for stuff sake, they went from a lock up to start then instantly hit huge moves on each other with no build.

Tag match next and it was an enjoyable match, it didn’t go above and beyond like I expected but it was a good, sound and entertaining battle. Cole vs. AJ was a highly competitive match though it did the same thing as Naito vs. Elgin with going too early into the big stuff but they at least garnered some momentum first. They did keep upping the ante to huge degrees which helped keep it very exciting, which it needed especially as the outcome was obvious considering AJ’s title position. Main event time was a well worked tag match with the NJPW talent doing what they do best making for another easy match to be entertained by. The interactions between both teams were much better than I expected.

I’ve read other reviews for this show and I must say I don’t get what people see in some of the undercard matches, hell even one place even called the opener good. Then that same reviewer said he didn’t understand why the crowd were dissatisfied with Elgin/Naito, it’s because they didn’t earn or build a damn thing. You can’t go out and just drop huge moves with no rhyme nor reason and expect people to care. Anyway the matches that needed to deliver did and overall it was a fun show as nothing was outright bad (the opener was short) but on paper you sort of expected more from some of the matches. Strong vs. Kushida is totally worth your time and ranks up there with one of the better matches of the wrestling year.

Reviewed by Recall on 6th June 2015
In your honour.