Where is Roderick Strong going?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WDRLeavelle

Where is Roderick Strong going?

Post by WDRLeavelle »

He had the best matches at WotW and GW, and has been on a huge tare! He's been working hard and has elevated himself again. So, what happens? Does he stand a shot at the world title? TV title? Thoughts?
Robareid

Re: Where is Roderick Strong going?

Post by Robareid »

I could see him getting a World title shot against Lethal at Death Before Dishonor, or maybe even Final Battle. He'll probably start getting some New Japan bookings soon too.
WDRLeavelle

Post by WDRLeavelle »

A lot of people want to see him in G1, which I agree with.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

He's being set up as Lethal's first major challenger. He will win the three-way at BITW. Won't beat Lethal though.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Burnside wrote:He's being set up as Lethal's first major challenger. He will win the three-way at BITW. Won't beat Lethal though.
Haha how many title shots will that be for Roddy?
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I also have the impression he's going to challenge Lethal for the World title in the future, although I don't think he'll win.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Ack, and I was going to make a thread inquiring if the time is right for Roddy’s redemption storyline to come to a successful fruition. Maybe not in the immediate future—especially without a contract—but would people be open to seeing Roderick Strong as a 2x ROH World Champion?

Roddy is a high-rate worker, is very over with the fans, and has a great look now that he has gotten to an athletic frame and his face has matured a bit. Actually, high-rate worker may be under selling him quite a bit—he has been, since the end of last year, one of the most adamant, energized wrestlers has seen in years. While he may be a different worker than he was when he had those classics with Danielson in ’06, a part of me think that he may now be the best he has ever been.

However, he is not without his malus. Roddy is still a generic, white-meat babyface with an indistinct metal theme song who cannot cut a convincing promo. As ROH gains more publicity with their joint venture with DA it may actually be harder for Roddy to overcome some of his milquetoast characteristics, which are very apparent during first impression.

Of course, whatever chance he has at gaining the world title depends on the course Lethal (I’m assuming) has as the reigning champion. I imagine that the scheduled money matches for Final Battle are Lethal versus either Adam Cole (face) or AJ Styles. For any reason either of these two matchups cannot happen, Roddy/Lethal could be the culminating moment in Strong’s year-long ascent to the belt. Otherwise, Strong/Lethal can serve as a very strong main event to a secondary show, in which the champion retains and his reign can then be made legitimate.

In any case, Roddy’s story has so far proved very entertaining and it has been really exciting seeing him grow to this level of motivation. I just hope his third launch into the main event sees him as a well-booked fixture.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I think Roddy is at that Michael Elgin level where he's great at the top of the midcard/bottom of the main event level, but if they ever actually put the world title back on him and/or make him a real centerpiece his weaknesses and limitations will be exposed and there will be a quick backlash.

I think Lethal successfully defending vs Roddy may be the main event for the Death Before Dishonor iPPV in July, unless that is a Lethal/Briscoe rematch.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Burnside wrote:I think Roddy is at that Michael Elgin level where he's great at the top of the midcard/bottom of the main event level, but if they ever actually put the world title back on him and/or make him a real centerpiece his weaknesses and limitations will be exposed and there will be a quick backlash.
You’re probably right, but I can’t help but feel that Roddy, more than any other time in his career, is ready for the strap. Of course, we could have a very high work-rate reign if he instead reprises his role as the TV champ. This’ll do wonders for many reasons, but he just won’t be given main event treatment, which, to me, his work is now very justly due.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Ugh, nowhere.

Also, might need to start a new username now: WHITE MEAT BABYFACE.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Roddy is right now where Bryan Danielson was before leaving, he is having great matches but can´t win the title. I think it´s great for ROH to have someone like Roddy because you can rely on him to give you a great match and can have him challenge for the title from time to time like i think he will do with Lethal in the future.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I am 100% behind a second TV Title reign for Roddy. They should capitalize on the hot streak he's having before he gets stale again. We would continue to get great TV Title matches, the belt would continue to have importance due to Roddy's status, and I think people would be less likely to go sour on a TV Title reign.

I think world title might work if he gets a mouthpiece or somehow gets an abundance of long missing charisma, but there are certainly multiple options for World Champ that are better.

I want to see an extended feud between Cole and Strong to become #1 contender to the World Title. It's been enough time since their TV Title feud that it won't feel stale (especially since Cole has improved in leaps an bounds since), but still recent enough in memory that they can play off it a little bit. Plus it would be sure to be a great series of matches and good promos at least from Cole. And by the end of it the #1 contender status would be way more meaningful than just winning a title shot in a random 4-corner survival.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

I think Roddy shows more character as a heel, although there's really no point in turning the guy now considering his hot streak as a face.