Wrestling related pet peeves of yours...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Wrestling related pet peeves of yours...

Post by supersonic »

That when actually thinking about them, really shouldn't be pet peeves at all?
trufreedom

Re: Wrestling related pet peeves of yours...

Post by trufreedom »

I have no idea if this is the kind of thing you mean, Sonic, but I'll give it a shot.

I hate that every god damn tag team match is built around the hot tag. It's like the psychology of tag team wrestling stopped at the Rock and Roll Express.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

When some dude is Supermanning it during the opening match.

In general, after watching some good Japanese matches with no near falls, I'm fairly burned out on non-stop last-minute kick-outs.

Oh yeah, the spot where the heel pulls the ref out and it doesn't count as a DQ.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

One Ive noticed a lot recently is guys positioning themselves awkwardly to face the hard camera when hitting a finisher. Some do it naturally but when they don't and realise they are 'out of position' it takes away from the finish.

Wrestlers that aren't due to appear on the card and do a run-in in their gear.

Don't get me started on Dolph Ziggler!!! Sprinitng up a ladder seconds after being killed, guy is single handedly killing the psychology of the ladder match.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

WWE's policy of only allowing one pinfall to be broken per tag match - which looks especially ridiculous during a Survivor Series match, as you see four guys stood on the apron watching one of their teammates getting pinned right in front of them.

How heel champions will tap the second their opponent locks in their submission finish in a non-wrestling segment, despite the limb being 100%

Wrestlers doing an unscheduled run-in, yet the sound guy has their music cued.

The foreign heel.
Brada

Post by Brada »

The Dusty finish.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Tag teams using double team pins. Ref never does anything about it. In fact, IIRC, there was a finish with a double pin in a tag match at WotW N1.
WDRLeavelle

Post by WDRLeavelle »

The spot where a wrestler charges his opponent, only to have his opponent pull the top rope down to have him tumble over it to the outside. It's hardly ever done well, and looks stupid.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I hate when the non-legal guy is pinned or pins somebody during a tag match. Makes the logic of the heat segment that almost certainly happened earlier in the match completely void.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Its something very small, but when someone throws their opponent against the rope and its gonna be reversed, they always duck down so early, and you know a reversal is coming.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

The Distraction Roll-up of DOOM!!! - doubly so when it's hearing somebody else's theme that causes the distraction, since there's no logical reason the sound guy would cue the theme of somebody who isn't scheduled to be in the arena for a point in somebody else's match.

Entrance themes that take too long to get to the point, be it...
i.) An indie undercarder picking a song with an long intro that means they take longer to get to the ring than some of the headliners do, such as Matt Cross when he was in ROH.
ii.) Adrian Neville in NXT, as it always looked awkward that he was standing around at the top of the ramp waiting for the pyro cue
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Backflip bump on a lariat that looks like a beautiful backflip and not like someone just took your head off.

Whipping someone into the ropes/corner and the one getting whipped is already running full speed before their arm is even tugged.

The epidemic of crappy fighting spirit spots, no-selling suplexes, kicking out of crazy piledrivers, etc.

Controversial finishes where no one including the referees knows what the rules were.

The extreme inconsistency with refs/security to break up a brawl or beatdown in the ring. Sometimes there's twenty people out there in 10 seconds because of shoving and minor fisticuffs, and other times someone gets savagely beaten for minutes before anyone shows up, and then they just stand there and say "stop" like they expect it to have any affect.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Getting pinned after a low blow. Not getting lowblowed and taking a finisher. Not getting lowblowed and then rolled up. Just flat out getting hit in the balls then pinned for a 3-count.

Yes, it's probably quite realistic but we've spent most of our lives watching wrestling with it being established that a lowblow 99% of the time is a setup move or a heat spot, not a finisher. So when someone actually gets beat by it, it looks really weak.
Last Real Man Hype
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

WDRLeavelle wrote:The spot where a wrestler charges his opponent, only to have his opponent pull the top rope down to have him tumble over it to the outside. It's hardly ever done well, and looks stupid.
Indeed. Add in that Rocky Romero / TJ Perkins spot where they hang in the ropes and do the same thing.

Oh, and that spot where one suplexes the other over the rope to the outside and they both spill out. Never looks good.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Sardonic Artery wrote:
WDRLeavelle wrote:The spot where a wrestler charges his opponent, only to have his opponent pull the top rope down to have him tumble over it to the outside. It's hardly ever done well, and looks stupid.
Indeed. Add in that Rocky Romero / TJ Perkins spot where they hang in the ropes and do the same thing.

Oh, and that spot where one suplexes the other over the rope to the outside and they both spill out. Never looks good.
You've never watched Scott Lost.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Maybe because I've been a fan since 1983, but I cannot cannot cannot stand wrestlers using piledrivers, DDT's, or brainbusters as a transition move. If I was the booker, I would tell everybody "If you take one of those moves, the match is over. You get pinned." Because nobody on Earth could actually take one and kick out. So it just makes it look completely fake. I know it is a work, but those moves always take me out of a match. Steve Austin took a botched tombstone and it briefly paralyzed him, and led to his career ending. So if he gets paralyzed, how the hell do you kick out of it at two?

I am also sick of so many damn "hit the finish but guy kicks out" match endings. A lot of nearfalls in a classic like Savage-Steamboat work well, because those were mainly cradle type moves, or non-finish moves led to them. Same with Flair and Steamboat. But having it happen in virtually every damn main event match, and for huge impact moves being kicked out of, just screams "This is not real." to me. I know it's not real, but I don't need you to slap me in the face with that during the actual match. Make me suspend disbelief.

Finally, I hate how guys do submission moves that in reality almost always end a fight yet never do in wrestling. Perfect example is O'Reilly doing the armlock. Now, as a huge UFC fan, if somebody gets an armlock in like that, it either snaps an arm or the opponent taps pretty quick. Almost always. Yet O'Reilly slaps it on in every match, much like El Patron, and guys are in that move for almost a minute without ever tapping, and having no "damage" done for the rest of the match. Besides, why does he still do it? How many matches has O'Reilly won with that armbar in the last two years compared to how he slaps it on every match to virtually no effect? Time to take it out of the arsenal.

These are some of my pet peeves, but they shouldn't be because in the modern ROH scene, they are not going away. Besides, as much as I hate them, I still tune in every single week.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

...Austin did kick out at two.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The fact that the ROH World Title belt says the words "World's Heavyweight Wrestling Champion" despite the fact that there are no weight classes in ROH.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

trufreedom wrote:...Austin did kick out at two.
No, he didn't. The plan was for him to kick out of a tombstone. But when Owen really hit the move, Austin could not move. Go back and watch it. Owen kicks out for Austin. Austin has stated this as a fact in a few different interviews since. He was not able to kick out on his own, but he was booked to win the match so Owen kicked out for him.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Heels cheating right in front of the ref.