Wrestling related pet peeves of yours...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thelone

Re: Wrestling related pet peeves of yours...

Post by Thelone »

I was talking more in general, like when they put over Angle or Lesnar or Corbin as legit because they're former amateur wrestlers/NFL players/MMA fighters/whatever, as opposed to those fake pro wrestlers with no background who aren't real athletes I suppose. Same thing when they call something stiff, as opposed to those fake moves or strikes which don't really hurt.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:I was talking more in general, like when they put over Angle or Lesnar or Corbin as legit because they're former amateur wrestlers/NFL players/MMA fighters/whatever, as opposed to those fake pro wrestlers with no background who aren't real athletes I suppose. Same thing when they call something stiff, as opposed to those fake moves or strikes which don't really hurt.
I'd definitely agree with that. Every time Taz would call someone "legit" it made me want to throw things.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Yeah, I really hate that too. Also WWE booking Brock Lesnar the way they are because he's a former UFC champion, basically telling their audience that the rest of their wrestlers are just a bunch of losers, because hey, they never were in the UFC. And then they wonder why their ratings are lower than they've been in a decade...
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

I never took commentators using 'stiff' as a descriptive word to mean the same thing as 'stiff' in wrestle-talk.
Hear it used all the time for your standard stomp-punches
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

SUPERKIIICK!

Not the move itself, though there are too many seen recently. But why have commentators have to get that annoying whenever a superkick is thrown?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:SUPERKIIICK!

Not the move itself, though there are too many seen recently. But why have commentators have to get that annoying whenever a superkick is thrown?
It's Steve Corino showing you that he's a regular guy who loves wrestling. You appreciate that. He's not at all annoying. He's very funny and witty, and his wit has to be shared with the world. You love it.

You are also looking forward to seeing him wrestle BJ Whitmer.

Steve Corino is like a legend or something. Also he does not have a British accent, which is something you would really hate to hear on the TV show and probably couldn't even understand. What you want is a guy yelling catchphrases and telling the same 4 jokes over and over. This is comforting to you, because you're kind of stupid.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Whenever Kevin asks if I've got my ticket yet for the Superkick Party, all it does is remind me of him asking "Do you have a date?"
Last Real Man Hype
TwelveGs210

Post by TwelveGs210 »

Basically anything WWE does
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

IchaelMelgin wrote:I never took commentators using 'stiff' as a descriptive word to mean the same thing as 'stiff' in wrestle-talk.
Yeah, I'm fine with the word "stiff" being used by commentators when describing really hard shots.

The type of commentary I hate is when, Matt Striker, for an example, says "there's no leg slapping here."

Awful.
Duke of Bridgewater

Burnside wrote:It's Steve Corino showing you that he's a regular guy who loves wrestling. You appreciate that. He's not at all annoying. He's very funny and witty, and his wit has to be shared with the world. You love it.
He is funny and witty indeed. And not annoying.

... until someone throws a SUPERKIIICK! ;)
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

JTGrasby wrote:
IchaelMelgin wrote:I never took commentators using 'stiff' as a descriptive word to mean the same thing as 'stiff' in wrestle-talk.
Yeah, I'm fine with the word "stiff" being used by commentators when describing really hard shots.

The type of commentary I hate is when, Matt Striker, for an example, says "there's no leg slapping here."

Awful.
This reminds me of another pet peeve: leg slapping. Should pretty much only be done to enhance an already well-done strike, not when you've tapped their shoulder.
Last Real Man Hype
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

I can't stand entourage talent (i.e. Prince Nana, Stokely Hathaway, RD Evans, Brutal Bob, Truth Martini, etc.). I know you're not supposed to "like" them because they're there to create reasons for the fans to dislike whoever they're with at the time. And trust me, it works well. For like a whole year, I never watched any House of Truth or Embassy related matches because I couldn't stand watching freakshows taking up more time than the matches themselves. Not to mention how unconvincing the promos are a lot of the time. I can understand having a valet or the tag team members accompanying each other to singles matches. That's cool. But when you look at the roster on the website and like 6-7 of these guys are just annoying dudes who come to the ring, talk way too much and then interfere in matches... no thanks.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

You're losing me.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Something from the PA show last night. Fans who attend high level Indy or ROH shows and go out of their way to demonstrate that they don't know anything about the people they're watching and try to be funny. It's an annoying subset of loud smarky fans trying to get themselves over, but it drives me crazy.

It usually manifests itself in drawing a bad physical comparison with a WWE star or mainstream celebrity. A few people last night decided that Michael Eligin reminded them of Jack Swagger, chanting "Swagger Sucks" during the Elgin/Roddy match and then laughing hysterically at their brilliance.

I just don't understand why people believe that making it obvious that they aren't knowledgable enough to know guys (who are treated like stars by the rest of the audience) are is cool or funny.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

You should have tried to shout them down.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Duke of Bridgewater

The heel has unfairly won and is just leaving with his helpers. The face grabs the mic and says something like "...next time, on November 12, right here in the Sportatorium, there will be no outside interference. It's me vs you in a cage."

Seriously? Is he the matchmaker or what?
And yes, I know the results are pre-determined, based on the plans for the future. You don't have to rub in my face!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

It was always my kayfabe assumption that when a wrestler does that and gets the crowd hyped up, the booker's hand is basically forced because he doesn't want to disappoint the fans that now think they're gonna see the epic Sportatorium cage rematch.

That, or sometimes the booker's like "Sure, it'll draw money and he deserves his revenge. Let's go with that."
Last Real Man Hype
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Or similarly, the face already asks for the match beforehand and is granted it.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:The heel has unfairly won and is just leaving with his helpers. The face grabs the mic and says something like "...next time, on November 12, right here in the Sportatorium, there will be no outside interference. It's me vs you in a cage."

Seriously? Is he the matchmaker or what?
And yes, I know the results are pre-determined, based on the plans for the future. You don't have to rub in my face!
WWE is godawful for making their wrestlers plug the WWE Network during a promo for any upcoming match. Hate it.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

GardenStateSaint wrote:You're losing me.
Really not too complicated. I hate dudes on the roster that interfere in matches but don't wrestle. It gets old. I know, I know, you're supposed to hate those guys but I hate them because it's such a blatantly scripted and tired idea at this point. When it happens in ROH, I'm often disappointed because I would have liked to see an actual finish to the match. That's what kept me watching ROH instead of WWE or TNA. You know that kind of stuff will happen in those companies. Meanwhile, ROH was supposed to be this athletically credible take on wrestling. Why aren't we seeing concrete endings to matches? Instead, it's like, "Gee, what a surprise. The KRD shows up. Didn't see THAT coming..."

Those guys are like the horror movie jump scares of wrestling. You know that shit's gonna happen and you hate it even more because of how predictable stuff like that has become. Those guys may as well be listed separately on the ROH website as "fuck finish talent" because that seems to be their primary function.