Reflecting on Cornette's impact on ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Reflecting on Cornette's impact on ROH

Post by Marketh. »

Was it SBG's decision to have a manager dominating the TV champ? If I recall, Cole's win was via rollup too.
Last Real Man Hype
MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Well he was a wrestler for decades and continues to work in the ring. Plus he's taller than Cole.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

And it skyrocketed him to a high profile tag team with Cheeseburger... :lol:
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

MooseNugget wrote:Well he was a wrestler for decades and continues to work in the ring. Plus he's taller than Cole.
Well, I suppose you gotta put over your never-was veterans every now and then.
Last Real Man Hype
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

"A sweet, delicate mouth suitable for pounding" - Bob Evans
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Marketh. wrote:Was it SBG's decision to have a manager dominating the TV champ? If I recall, Cole's win was via rollup too.
Figure Four.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The rollup must've been Eddie Edwards' match with Bob then.
Last Real Man Hype
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Burnside wrote:I agree the first six months of 2011 were great.

It hit a wall right after BITW 2011. Which is exactly when Cornette was given the book. It's definitely unfair to lay all the blame at his feet as there were extenuating circumstances and it's not like Delirious was disagreeing with Cornette on stuff either. But still, he booked a lot of bad stuff.
It's no coincidence that's the most recent show I've watched. Any ROH event I've seen since then would only be live in person.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

There was nowhere proper to put this but I thought it was too good not to share so I'll throw it on here.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so what?

fuck cornette.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

WHG wrote:My favorite summary of Cornette's involvement in ROH was a comment that Steen made on Twitter a year or so ago. A fan asked if he ever watched Smoky Mountain Wrestling and he replied: "No, but I worked there in 2011."

Steen should watch Smoky Mountain wrestling , he might just learn something about the business. The likes of the late Chris Candido , Cactus Jack , Terry Funk , Bob and Brad Armstrong , the late Buddy Landal , Stan Lane , Dr. Tom Prichard , Rick Morton , Robert Fuller , Jimmy Golden , Tracy Smothers, Tony Anthony , the late Ron Wright , Bobby Eaton and many of legendary workers went thur the doors of Smoky Mountain wrestling. It was a short live but great promotion. I guy like Steen could learn a lot from just watching the work of Chris Candido , a heel heel 's..

Just because Steen hates Cornette is no reason for him to bury SMW. A lot of great talents work their ass off in that promotion.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Memphis Mark wrote:
WHG wrote:My favorite summary of Cornette's involvement in ROH was a comment that Steen made on Twitter a year or so ago. A fan asked if he ever watched Smoky Mountain Wrestling and he replied: "No, but I worked there in 2011."

Steen should watch Smoky Mountain wrestling , he might just learn something about the business. The likes of the late Chris Candido , Cactus Jack , Terry Funk , Bob and Brad Armstrong , the late Buddy Landal , Stan Lane , Dr. Tom Prichard , Rick Morton , Robert Fuller , Jimmy Golden , Tracy Smothers, Tony Anthony , the late Ron Wright , Bobby Eaton and many of legendary workers went thur the doors of Smoky Mountain wrestling. It was a short live but great promotion. I guy like Steen could learn a lot from just watching the work of Chris Candido , a heel heel 's..

Just because Steen hates Cornette is no reason for him to bury SMW. A lot of great talents work their ass off in that promotion.
Where in his statement did he bury Smoky Mountain Wrestling?
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:

Steen was insulting Cornette's booking with his comment. It was a back handed insult to Cornette 's life work. So in my view he was burying SMW . It is okay to knock Cornette as a person . However his overall body of work as a talent/ booker is outstanding.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Memphis Mark wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:

Steen was insulting Cornette's booking with his comment. It was a back handed insult to Cornette 's life work. So in my view he was burying SMW . It is okay to knock Cornette as a person . However his overall body of work as a talent/ booker is outstanding.
You're misinterpreting the insult. Steen wasn't saying that SMW was bad. He was saying that trying to book that way in 2011 was bad.