Michael Elgin matches

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
andherides87

Michael Elgin matches

Post by andherides87 »

Just wanted to talk a little bit about The Unbreakable One. During the last week, I have been watching some of his matches, and here are my ratings:

Michael Elgin vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Global Wars 2015) - ***
Michael Elgin vs. Frankie Kazarian (Supercard of Honor IX) - **1/2
Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards (Showdown in the Sun 2012) - *
Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen (Glory By Honor XI) - *1/4

I thought that the Tanahashi match was better than expected. I thought it would be pretty much horrible, but it ended up being good. Best one of this 4 matches IMO.
The Kazarian match was the most smartly worked match here. Elgin actually targeted Kaz's neck and kept on working on it. He should do stuff like that more often instead of just spamming moves with no logic and/or story.
The match vs. Davey is popular around here I know, and Meltzer gave it 5-stars. I thought it was really bad, and just 2 guys spamming moves, no selling & spamming some more moves because of no reason. Didn't really like it. One of the worst ROH World Title matches ever IMO.
The match vs. Steen was also pretty bad, but little bit better than the Richards match. It was just 2 guys busting out moves because of no reason. No actual story or psychology here.

So my question is, what are considered Elgin's best matches a part from these? Has he worked matches where there is an actual story or psychology involved? I am legit curious. I would love to watch some more of his matches, as I have missed most of his ROH run, so hit some recommendations.
Robareid

Re: Michael Elgin matches

Post by Robareid »

If you don't like his match against Richards it's highly likely that you just flat out won't like any Elgin.
andherides87

Post by andherides87 »

Robareid wrote:If you don't like his match against Richards it's highly likely that you just flat out won't like any Elgin.
I liked his matches vs. Tanahashi & Kazarian. Has he had more matches like those? Was his match vs. Joe any good few months ago?
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

The match was a Joe greatest hits with a couple of power spots from Elgin.

Maybe try his three way with Okada and Styles from War of the Worlds last year. I wouldn't personally call it one of his best matches, but I loved the Richards-Elgin match, so I'm kind of guessing about what you'd like based on what you've wrote.

Also, **1/2 doesn't exactly convey much of a level of like, is it a typo?
andherides87

Post by andherides87 »

Robareid wrote:The match was a Joe greatest hits with a couple of power spots from Elgin.

Maybe try his three way with Okada and Styles from War of the Worlds last year. I wouldn't personally call it one of his best matches, but I loved the Richards-Elgin match, so I'm kind of guessing about what you'd like based on what you've wrote.

Also, **1/2 doesn't exactly convey much of a level of like, is it a typo?
Thank you, I will definitely check that triple threat match out. :)

And nope, it's not a typo. I think a **1/2 match is a pretty good match, and I enjoyed it somehow. What I liked most about it is the fact that it was not your typical movez, no sell & finishers Elgin match, but he actually attacked a body part in the match and kept working over it. :)
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

We have ourselves a harsh grader then :D
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Elgin vs Davey had a clear story & psychology. It was the best thing about it. [cornette]

Elgin-Steen II, I guess? His TV Taping Title defense against Cedric?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

BlackLesnar wrote:Elgin vs Davey had a clear story & psychology. It was the best thing about it. [cornette]

Elgin-Steen II, I guess? His TV Taping Title defense against Cedric?
That one was terrible.
Last Real Man Hype
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yep, easily the worst of his matches with Cedric. His more recent TV match was far better.

Also, if you don't like Elgin-Steen I, you're going to hate Elgin-Steen II.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Both had a lot more of the strategic methodically-paced limb-work stuff that OP seems to like. I like it too, so they stick out in my mind. They're different to your typical Elgin match at any rate, and we've established that he LOATHES your typical Elgin match to nigh-questionable extents.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

His match agains ACH at Dragon´s Reign is pretty good, they told a good story.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Really, I thought the Elgin vs. Alexander match was just loads of moves and a handful of botches along with a no sell of a powerbomb off the top rope. May be misremembering though.
PoyzunTiiiger

Post by PoyzunTiiiger »

I really think you don't like Michael Elgin. His matches, gimmick and look are awesome IMO I like that he is straight up power wrestler who does power moves. His gimmick is that he's Unbreakable so him no-selling and using fighting spirit and comboing his power moves makes perfect sense IMO. The match with Davey was awesome Richards worked the head and ankle/leg and at the end Elgin could run on his leg anymore fell down and Richards knocked him out that was fucking awesome!

Other good Elgin matches

vs. Willie Mack in PWG (Holy shit)

vs. Ricochet in PWG (New school High Flier vs. Powerhouse Match)

vs. Roderick Strong for the ROH World Championship from last year (Hot damn these guys killed it)

vs. Johnny Gargano PWG BOLA 2013

vs. Adam Cole for the ROH World Championship where Cole wins it.

vs. Christopher Daniels in 2012

vs. Chris Hero at Homecoming 2012 (Excellent 14 minute match)

vs. Kyle O'Reilly PWG BOLA 2013
plyboult

Post by plyboult »

I am becoming more and more of a fan of his each week... he's just a wrestler. That's it, and every match he seems to keep improving. I am not sure where he goes in the card right now, but I like seeing his work.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I bet you might like his two matches from DBD XI. The semi-finals and finals of the tournament.
I don't clearly remember everything from that show, but I remember that his match with Steen had much more selling and a slower pace than most people expected, and he sold injuries from that match later in the night when he face Cole, which was also a good match.
andherides87

Post by andherides87 »

Thank you for all the recommendations guys, I appreciate it! :mrgreen:

I watched couple of more Elgin matches, and here are some ratings:

Elgin/Steen (Supercard of Honor 2014) - *1/4
- Did not really like this. I'd say it was little bit better than their match in 2012 though.

Elgin/Styles/Okada - ***1/2
- This is the best Elgin match that I've seen so far. Great match.

Elgin/Naito - **1/4
- This had no real story or much of a flow going, and that's what truly prevents this from being a great/good match.
project161

Post by project161 »

IMO Elgin took a real downfall in match quality once he won the title. His match that he had with Jimmy Jacobs on Road to BITW a few weeks before crushed just about anything he had in his title reign or anything he has had since. I also thought both singles matches with Styles were very good. My favorite match that I have seen from him in 2015 as a singles was versus Josh Alexander in Milwaukee.

Also have to echo the sentiments for Elgin/ACH from Dragon's Reign. One of my favorite ROH matches of 2013 and one of my favorite ACH matches that he has had in ROH.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

andherides87 wrote:Just wanted to talk a little bit about The Unbreakable One. During the last week, I have been watching some of his matches, and here are my ratings:

Michael Elgin vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Global Wars 2015) - ***
Michael Elgin vs. Frankie Kazarian (Supercard of Honor IX) - **1/2
Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards (Showdown in the Sun 2012) - *
Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen (Glory By Honor XI) - *1/4

I thought that the Tanahashi match was better than expected. I thought it would be pretty much horrible, but it ended up being good. Best one of this 4 matches IMO.
The Kazarian match was the most smartly worked match here. Elgin actually targeted Kaz's neck and kept on working on it. He should do stuff like that more often instead of just spamming moves with no logic and/or story.
The match vs. Davey is popular around here I know, and Meltzer gave it 5-stars. I thought it was really bad, and just 2 guys spamming moves, no selling & spamming some more moves because of no reason. Didn't really like it. One of the worst ROH World Title matches ever IMO.
The match vs. Steen was also pretty bad, but little bit better than the Richards match. It was just 2 guys busting out moves because of no reason. No actual story or psychology here.

So my question is, what are considered Elgin's best matches a part from these? Has he worked matches where there is an actual story or psychology involved? I am legit curious. I would love to watch some more of his matches, as I have missed most of his ROH run, so hit some recommendations.
Showdown in the sun match is his best thing he has done int a ROH ring, also that steen title match later on that year. Showdown match had everything hot crowd, Nigel epic commentary, and a good story told, Elgin looked like a freaking unstoppable machine in that match, and davey trying evertying to put him away. That match had emotion.

I also enjoyed his supercard match with Lethal(think it was supercard) He has the ability to deliver but he has gone backwards imo, he is overblown a bit and he does get dominated by smaller guys to much same in pwg, like him getting hurricanraned around all over the place .