Official Best In The World 2015 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Best In The World 2015 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ring of Honor returns to PPV at Terminal 5 in New York City for one of their biggest shows of the year!

ROH Best In The World 2015: Battle of the Belts
New York City, New York 6/19/15

- ROH World Title vs. ROH World TV Title - Jay Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal (with Truth Martini)
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - No DQ Match - The Addiction vs. reDRagon
- #1 Contender's Triple Threat Match - "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Moose vs. Roderick Strong
- Six-Man Tag - The Kingdom (Adam Cole & IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Matt Taven & Michael Bennett with Maria Kanellis) vs. The Bullet Club (IWGP Heavyweight Champion "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles & IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks)
- ACH & Matt Sydal vs. The Decade (BJ Whitmer & Adam Page)
- Mark Briscoe (with ODB) vs. Donovan Dijak (with Truth Martini)
- Dalton Castle vs. Silas Young
- War Machine vs. C & C Wrestle Factory

Keep all discussions here...
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Best In The World 2015 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

It is official! ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe will face off against ROH World Television Champion Jay Lethal with both championships on the line at Best in The World ’15: Battle of The Belts. This event will be live on Pay Per View from Terminal 5 in New York City on Friday, June 19, 2015 at 9:00 pm EDT.

It is very rare in history that we get to see the two best in their respective sport face off. We seem to end up with questions such as who would win if Muhammad Ali faced Mike Tyson, or if the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics of the 1960’s faced the Michael Jordan led Chicago Bulls of the 1990’s. In 2015 there are two individual stars that wear the gold in Ring of Honor: ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe and ROH World Television Champion Jay Lethal.

Jay Briscoe is an ROH original who debuted in Ring of Honor on the very first show in February of 2002. As part of a tag team with his brother Mark, the duo would go on to become the best tag team in Ring of Honor history, winning the titles a record 8 times, holding them for a combined 807 days and successfully defending them a total of 36 times. He would finally obtain singles glory when he defeated Kevin Steen in April of 2013 to become the ROH World Champion! After being stripped of the championship due to injury, he would return with an unmatched hunger in his eyes to regain his prized possession. On September 6, 2014 he would defeat “Unbreakable” Michael Elgin to begin his second reign as champion and he has not looked back!

Jay Lethal debuted in Ring of Honor in 2003. He would have mixed success until 2005 when he won the now defunct ROH Pure Championship. He would leave Ring of Honor in 2006, only to return in 2011. Upon returning fans witnessed a new intensity, a bigger personality and a man destined for bigger things. He became ROH World Television Champion by defeating El Generico in August of 2011. After losing the championship, Lethal would make the most impactful decision of his career as he would employ the services of Truth Martini to help him defeat Tomasso Ciampa to win his second ROH World Television Championship. He won the championship on April 4, 2014 and has demolished any and all records associated with that title through today! He has doubled and tripled the previous records associated with the title and shows no sign of slowing down!

Jay Briscoe is the rough and ready ROH World Champion, ready to fight at the drop of a hat. Jay Lethal is the confident classy and self proclaimed “Greatest First Generation Wrestler” who has faced and defeated every challenger to date. Briscoe has not been pinned or submitted in over 807 Days. Lethal has been ROH World Television Champion for a record 409 days. There hace been simmering tensions as Lethal has been making claims that he is not just the ROH World Television Champion but that he is the only champion! Briscoe has taken offense and stated its time for Lethal to “Man-Up” and back up those words.

On Friday, June 19, 2015 these two record setting superstars will step in the ring and put an end to the question of who truly is the better man. Is it Jay Briscoe, the ROH World Champion who hasn’t felt defeat in over 2 years? Or is it Jay Lethal, who has successfully defended his championship for over a year? This is a chance to witness a once in a lifetime dream match. The two very best wrestlers in the world in the same ring at the same time with both championships on the line! Is Briscoe the best or is it Jay Lethal? Be there live in NYC or watch live from the comfort of your home on Pay Per View.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

If there is not a dueling chant of "Let's go Jay" and "Let's go Jay". I'll be disappointed.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

isles11 wrote:If there is not a dueling chant of "Let's go Jay" and "Let's go Jay". I'll be disappointed.
There wasn't a "Let's Go Briscoe!" "Let's Go Briscoe!" chant for Jay vs. Mark at BITW, so be ready in case of disappointment again.
Last Real Man Hype
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

I hope the main event ends up a double disqualification or a no contest. #wtf. and the rematch is at death before dishonor. it would be a shame to resolve this conflict so soon.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Can't tell if sarcastic. Really hope you are.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Considering that Lethal's reign will be impossible to follow, just like McGuinness as Pure Champ nine years ago, should this be a unification match?

I do consider the lack of the Pure Title to be one of the reasons as to what brought ROH's aesthetic momentum to a halt in late 2006 though.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I think since they've already done a unification once before, there's no point doing it again. I'm interested in the possibilities Lethal holding and defending two titles brings.
Last Real Man Hype
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, I think ROH kind of needs a secondary belt, so it'd be pretty pointless to unify just to create another one. Him being a dual champion for a month or two before dropping it would be far more interesting, especially as every TV title defense would be exciting as you'd get the feeling that it could be the one.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

People are really overrating Lethal's title reign.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Please ROH, give Lethal the World title.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

The pure title couldn't last forever, as it was a gimmick title defended in a gimmick match. The TV title doesn't have that problem.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

DX, ROH released the video of Nigel announcing the BITW main event, as well as the 3-way #1 contenders match, so I think you can put that up there as well.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

trufreedom wrote:The pure title couldn't last forever, as it was a gimmick title defended in a gimmick match. The TV title doesn't have that problem.
I just realized also that the FIP Title looked to become the secondary title in ROH. That didn't work out for a number of reasons which I'll save for my thread.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Here's my early prediction. Strong pins Elgin or vice versa to become #1 contender for the World Title. Moose has a claim that he was never pinned and deserves a shot at Lethal, and Veda talks him into contendership for the TV Title. Then Moose will go on to become the next TV champ when they're ready for Lethal to drop it.
This is all assuming Moose is remaining with ROH for another year of course.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The #1 Contender's Match is interesting....
Spoiler: show
After Moose lost to Cedric Alexander at the TV Tapings in Toronto, I'm curious as to the status of this match now that Moose is no longer undefeated. Could Alexander be added to the match?
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

NO MORE MOOSE!
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

I hope Moose doesn't wind up being in that number 1 contenders match

Also where was the bucks confirmed I can't find that on roh site?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

iamloco724 wrote:
Also where was the bucks confirmed I can't find that on roh site?
They're being advertised in the promo video on ROH TV.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Thelone wrote:People are really overrating Lethal's title reign.
This.

Don't get me wrong, it has been very good. It's definitely been long, and he's done some great character work. He's had a handful of great matches too, but considering how long he's held the belt I don't think he's exactly been totally amazing in the ring.

Now that said, I think he'd be a big step up from Briscoe to be the World Champ, but I don't think his run with the TV title would be "unfollowable" by any means.