Official Best In The World 2015 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHFan25

Re: Official Best In The World 2015 Thread

Post by ROHFan25 »

Main Event is ROHs MOTY, not including the NJPW crossover shows. Had it at ****1/2. Perfectly booked, perfectly executed, finishing stretch was absolutely outstanding. Bravo ROH. Bravo.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

That was a hell of a show.. I'd have the main event at 4.5, Kingdom vs. Bullet Club at 4, Dijak vs Briscoe at 3, the tag titles at 3, maybe 3.25 and the number one contender match at 3.75 personally. Everything just clicked tonight and it was a lot of fun. For whatever it's worth the Reddit live thread is the most active I can remember seeing for an ROH show before too
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

PPV was perfect for me, they did a lot of storyline during the show and the ME deliver huge, for me it was the best possible match they could have done, no interference,
Spoiler: show
Lethal winning clean
, postmatch, just perfect.
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

187_Joeism wrote:PPV was perfect for me, they did a lot of storyline during the show and the ME deliver huge, for me it was the best possible match they could have done, no interference, postmatch, just perfect.
I think you want to ax that spoiler about who won.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROH Best In The World 2015: Battle of the Belts
New York City, New York 6/19/15

1.) Mark Briscoe (with ODB) vs. Donovan Dijak (with Truth Martini): **3/4

2.) ACH & Matt Sydal vs. The Decade (BJ Whitmer & Adam Page): ***

3.) Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle: ***1/4

4.) War Machine vs. C & C Wrestle Factory: **

5.) #1 Contender's Triple Threat Match - "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Moose (with Stokely Hathaway & Veda Scott) vs. Roderick Strong: ***3/4

6.) Six-Man Tag - The Kingdom (Adam Cole & IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Matt Taven & Michael Bennett with Maria Kanellis) vs. The Bullet Club (IWGP Heavyweight Champion "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles & IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks): ****1/4

7.) ROH World Tag Team Titles - No DQ Match - The Addiction vs. reDRagon: ***1/2

8.) ROH World Title vs. ROH World TV Title - Jay Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal (with Truth Martini): ****1/2

Overall: 8.0-8.25/10

A really good show from ROH. I was getting a little concerned after the first four matches all got done in the first hour of the show (and all four of those matches were fine but relatively average), but thankfully, the second half kicked ass and really lifted this show up. The Triple Threat Match was really good. The Six-Man Tag wasn't quite as good as their first encounter, but still great. The No DQ Match was a fun match for what it was. The Main Event was fantastic. It had a big fight feel, and the match built up really well. The 2nd half of the Main Event was absolutely insane.
ROHFan25 wrote:Had it at ****1/2. Perfectly booked, perfectly executed, finishing stretch was absolutely outstanding. Bravo ROH. Bravo.
Perfectly said.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I want to say sorry to ROH for my actions tonight. I streamed the PPV but I think I did have a good excuse. I ordered the PPV earlier in the day but when it came time for the PPV to begin a note came up on my TV screen that my order was not able to be processed. I'm sorry that I viewed it without paying but if anyone is to blame, put that on Newwave Communications.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

How is anything from a live PPV a spoiler?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

BigTChamp wrote:How is anything from a live PPV a spoiler?
Don't know. Guess other people haven't watched.
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

Good show, put into great territory because of how great the ME was.

The first hour was very skippable, RedDragon, The Addiction and The Kingdom, Bullet Club were a little disappointing but still good matches. I can't get into Young Bucks spot fest matches very much, but good for what it was, and I don't know why Sabin waited until the end to interfere in a NO DQ match - made no sense. Good match, though. Lethal and Briscoe really tore it up and made everything feel so much better and gave the show a stamp of approval.

Great match, the right result, post-match perfectly done. Very well booked.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Such a good show live!

1. Donovan Dijak vs. Mark Briscoe ***
2. The Decade vs. ACH & Matt Sydal **3/4
3. Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle ***1/4
4. C&C Wrestle Factory vs. War Machine **
5. Roderick Strong vs. Moose vs. Michael Elgin ***1/2
6. Bullet Club vs. The Kingdom ****1/2
7. The Addiction vs. reDRagon ***1/4
8. Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe ****1/4
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Just got home from the show and it was really great.

1. Donovan Dijak vs. Mark Briscoe ***
2. The Decade vs. ACH & Matt Sydal ***
3. Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle ***1/4
4. C&C Wrestle Factory vs. War Machine N/R
5. Roderick Strong vs. Moose vs. Michael Elgin ***3/4
6. Bullet Club vs. The Kingdom ****1/4
7. The Addiction vs. reDRagon ***
8. Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe ****1/2

The main event was so epic and lived up to my expectations. Loved the Cedric stuff. Thought the show was very well booked overall. Nothing bad to say really. Only thing was Red Dragon and The Addiction was very disappointing but it was still good.

Definitely watch this.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Besides the main event, I want to give a shout out to Dalton Castle. He was one of the stand outs of the show, not only from his character work but he was great in the ring. Wouldn't mind him getting a TV title run sometime within the next year.

Roddy vs Lethal at DBD :P :o
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Some more thoughts from tonight...

Donovan Dijak while extremely green has a lot of potential. Being that size and having the ability to do any type of springboard move is crazy athleticism wise. Just needs some fine tuning in all aspects. He's definitely going to be a player going forward.

The Cedric heel turn was great. Loved how they teased him hitting Caprice, having him walk away and then attacking Moose with the wrench. Great booking/continuation of a storyline. A Moose/Cedric mid card feud sounds pretty great to me. Gives both of them something interesting to do, and it's a way to keep elevating Moose, while evolving Cedric's character.

Speaking of Moose...am I crazy for enjoying his work more than Elgins? I really see no use for Elgin at all anymore. I thought I'd be able to get behind him with this heel run, but he's just fucking awful. He's run his course in ROH. I'm still really excited for him in NJPW though, because that type of work better suits his style, and Elgin vs Ishii/Makabe/Honma should all be awesome. He's at Ciampa territory right now, where there literally is nowhere to go with him. Ciampa realized that and left the company..

Back to Moose. He's fucking improving at a ridiculously rapid pace. His athleticism, like Dijak's is just unbelievable considering the size of him. I also like how he's adding new moves to his repertoire, and seems to be getting better at the little nuances involved in wrestling. I'm not saying he's great yet, I'm saying he will be great. Sky is the limit.

Finally, Jay Lethal is right up there with Roderick Strong with best in ring worker in the world. That being said, Jay Briscoe is the best overall wrestler in the US IMO. Combination of in ring work, promo skills, character, believability...I'd say it's Jay, Owens and Cena right now. Every single fucking promo Jay Briscoe cuts sells tickets, sells PPVs, etc. It's a lost art. And he's also one of the few wrestlers left that has a realistic offense that consists of being a bad ass and just beating the shit out of people by punching them and hitting them with forearms. He's so so good...turned a title reign that wasn't supposed to happen into a great one that helped elevate Lethal into a made man and top guy for the rest of his ROH career IMO.
damasta414

Post by damasta414 »

dhads7161 wrote:I want to say sorry to ROH for my actions tonight. I streamed the PPV but I think I did have a good excuse. I ordered the PPV earlier in the day but when it came time for the PPV to begin a note came up on my TV screen that my order was not able to be processed. I'm sorry that I viewed it without paying but if anyone is to blame, put that on Newwave Communications.
I think you want to redirect your apology to rohwrestling.com. These forums aren't directly affiliated with ROH. While you're there buy $35 in merchandise or DVDs if you're really sorry.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Speaking of Moose...am I crazy for enjoying his work more than Elgins? I really see no use for Elgin at all anymore. I thought I'd be able to get behind him with this heel run, but he's just fucking awful. He's run his course in ROH. I'm still really excited for him in NJPW though, because that type of work better suits his style, and Elgin vs Ishii/Makabe/Honma should all be awesome. He's at Ciampa territory right now, where there literally is nowhere to go with him. Ciampa realized that and left the company..
I think they should let Elgin leave for a bit (3-6 months) then bring him back and see what happens. Personally I like his work right now but based on those crowd reactions I am in the very small minority. Taking him off shows for a while might freshen him up, but if not then I think it's time to talk about cutting bait.

I feel kind of bad for him though. I just read a review on cagesideseats for the show and the only thing they mentioned of him was the botch of the double stomp and him 'needing to be carried.' ZERO mention of the deadlift powerbomb on Moose, which is a very notable spot.
Last edited by lariat_tubman on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

JTGrasby wrote:Good show, put into great territory because of how great the ME was.

The first hour was very skippable, RedDragon, The Addiction and The Kingdom, Bullet Club were a little disappointing but still good matches. I can't get into Young Bucks spot fest matches very much, but good for what it was, and I don't know why Sabin waited until the end to interfere in a NO DQ match - made no sense. Good match, though. Lethal and Briscoe really tore it up and made everything feel so much better and gave the show a stamp of approval.

Great match, the right result, post-match perfectly done. Very well booked.
Sabin is injured, they wasn´t even booked for this show (He was going to be at AAW)
DijakMark

Post by DijakMark »

Good, solid PPV last night. I think it was poor booking to have rising star Dijak lose to Briscoe, but otherwise, main event was excellent. I wish the lighting was better however, the blue background lightning was awful.

See everyone in Baltimore next month-
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

DijakMark wrote:Good, solid PPV last night. I think it was poor booking to have rising star Dijak lose to Briscoe, but otherwise, main event was excellent. I wish the lighting was better however, the blue background lightning was awful.

See everyone in Baltimore next month-
I think Dijak needs time to develop his potencial, there is no need to rush him. Mark winning didn´t hurt him because he looked great in defeat.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

BigTChamp wrote:How is anything from a live PPV a spoiler?
Actually I forgot that. At least marketh mentioned that since it started later, it would be done so late he'd try to stay spoiler free and watch it later. I was thinking more of that than the fact it is a live ppv and not something like a TV taping.