Final Battle 2015 Live on (I)PPV - December 18, 2015

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Final Battle 2015 Live on (I)PPV - December 18, 2015

Post by supersonic »

Airing live Friday, December 18 @ 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific, exclusively on IPPV and traditional PPV!

Taking place at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia, PA. Tickets still available - https://2300arena.showare.com/ordertickets.asp?p=21

Confirmed card:

Images not available

Tag Titles Match
Matt Taven & Michael Bennett vs. War Machine

Last edited by supersonic on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DirtyDave

Re: Final Battle returns to its original home...

Post by DirtyDave »

wow big news there. Ny not going to be happy. but they get lethal vs Jay next month so they should be happy enough
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
isles11

Post by isles11 »

I am a little upset about losing Final Battle, but not too upset.
Hopefully we get another show after Field of Honor though.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

not surprising, pretty much expected. the fact that the new japan shows are in philadelphia combined with the complaints about the new york city venue situation & the (belligerent) crowds, pretty much made final battle in philadelphia a given.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Alsands

Post by Alsands »

Awesome News !!! Philly is a city that can get a promotion over as long as they are feeling some love.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I would have liked it more had they done a bigger arena in Philly and one night. I don't see a need for this to be two nights. Not to mention that neither are on a Sunday so neither may be on PPV which takes away from the whole, "biggest event of the year" hyperbole unless they really are planning to start doing their PPV's on Friday's.
Alsands

Post by Alsands »

They are doing there PPV 's on Friday nights starting this June . Friday night will be the PPV and Saturday will be tv tapings. That's usually how they schedule it.
WHG

Post by WHG »

The built-in production quality at the Arena in Philly is enough to make this an easy call. It'll be really interesting to see how they handle the two nights. They seem to be going all-in on the 2 night shots this year. There was a great finality to Final Battle in that there's essentially a few week hiatus before the Jan taping, but it would be nice to get a RAW-after-Mania type reset the day after for TV to carry through the holidays. Not sure how the purists will feel about it.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Awesome! I'm not really fond of the NY Crowd, Philly should be a vastly superior setting for ROH's Biggest Show of the Year.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

I'd have to say the lack of options for venues in NYC and the production values of 2300 are the major reasons. They are doing two shows in NYC next month so I dont know where this problem with the crowds is coming from or seen any info that roh feels that way. Ive also experienced some crappy philly wrestling crowds lately as well.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Very annoyed by this, not that it is ROHs fault, but the wrestling scene in NY as a whole is suffering. I remember just a couple of years ago, ROH would run 4 times here, DGUSA/Evolve would run 4-6 shows here and even the smaller indies were a lot of fun. Now, it's almost a joke, the kind of shows that run here now for the most part.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

If they weren't going to find a steady venue in NYC (obviously a lot of mixed opinions on Terminal 5), then I think it was best to move Final Battle elsewhere. I think the 2300 Arena is a great choice, especially with regards to production like WHG said. If I recall, they used the overhead lighting rig back at the January TV Tapings. Seems like it's just a better venue when it comes to TV & PPV.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Not quite sure how you can have tow nights of "Final Battle." Perhaps the first one will be called "Penultimate Battle."
WHG

Post by WHG »

The 2300 Arena does have the overhead lighting rig. They used it in Jan and again last night and it's amazing the difference it makes in lighting the ring.

The only drawback is it still feels like a very small venue.

It'd probably be too big a leap to make (and I'm not sure if they can run there during the winter or not because they only seem to run there in Aug/Sept), but for my money the Mattamy Center at Maple Leaf Gardens is the perfect next size up for an ROH venue for a big show. It has about 2,500 fixed seats + the floor, but because it uses the original ceiling from the Maple Leaf Gardens, it feels like a much bigger arena. I was bummed they didn't do Global Wars there.

I still think the move away from NYC for Final Battle is a good one given the venue issues and higher costs to run NYC.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I'll take Philly over NYC but too bad it's not the PA National Guard Armory. You just can't please some people. :lol:
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I saw some other people saying they wish they still ran the Armory. Not sure what the live experience there is like, but I found the 2300 Arena to be a good venue in person and it looks 1000 times better than the armory on TV, which is what really matters for Final Battle, IMO.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The Arena is probably the best looking venue they're currently running. Maple Leaf Gardens looked good before, but I'm guessing it's higher priced; especially having to fill it two nights.

I think two night will be OK. Do we know if it's actually two Final Battle shows, or is it Final Battle + Generic TV Taping? If it is indeed two nights of Final Battle I would like to see most feuds ended in night one, with the exception of the World Title feud, and put a special attraction match as the main event. Then on night two you can kick off all the new angles, and use the World Title feud to cap off the weekend.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It is incredibly smart for the booker and the audience to have a break at the end of the year. Every wrestling fed should honestly give itself an offseason, even for just a few weeks (raise ticket prices $5-10 the rest of the year to offset it.) Let everyone catch their breath on the ROH brand, plus avoiding stiff competition like holiday season blockbusters and NFL playoff hunts.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

supersonic wrote:It is incredibly smart for the booker and the audience to have a break at the end of the year. Every wrestling fed should honestly give itself an offseason, even for just a few weeks (raise ticket prices $5-10 the rest of the year to offset it.) Let everyone catch their breath on the ROH brand, plus avoiding stiff competition like holiday season blockbusters and NFL playoff hunts.
Ring of Honor takes multi-week breaks all the time. They only ran one show for the entire month of February. There is a full month with no shows this summer from late July-late August. I think it's good to have a TV taping after Final Battle. This way we don't get 3-4 weeks of Best Of episodes in January.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Agree with Burnside on this. My only criticism of Final Battle last year was when it was over there was a definitive feeling of "Welp...I guess we'll see what they come up with by the Jan taping so," leaving a weird feeling heading into the month long break, in which we saw the tag wars shows on TV. They've done a better job in the past of transitioning (2013) at FB itself, but a TV taping lets them turn the page quickly and will make me want to watch their TV in December.