Final Battle 2015 Live on (I)PPV - December 18, 2015

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Re: Final Battle 2015 Live on (I)PPV - December 18, 2015

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

That's a damn good card top to bottom.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

So the main event just got spoiled and pretty much confirmed to be a screwy finish.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Can we wait until said screwy finish happens to complain about it?

A couple things to consider:

1. There's evidence that Styles can lose clean in ROH when he's not a title holder. It's been repeated several times here, but his loss to Elgin occurred just before he beat Okada for the title. I'd also point to Kushida & Anderson taking pins in 2015 while actually holding titles as further evidence that the idea of the rigor of New Japan's protection is more perception than reality. The irony is that many of the same people saying Styles can't lose are also those saying Lethal at the Dome doesn't make sense because he doesn't mean anything to a Tokyo crowd. What better way to get Lethal & the ROH title over than a big win over the guy who is likely winning the IWGP IC title?

2. Don't discount the possibility of this all being a swerve that Delirious orchestrated with Gedo to make people think Styles isn't winning at FB. They went out of their way to build the Elgin match in the US, knowing what people would think. But prior to AJ being announced as Namakura's Dome opponent, he was the decided favorite to win the title in many people's minds. If Styles were to win the title, the Lethal/Elgin match is a low enough priority on the Dome card that they could scrap it...building to Styles vs Elgin in February...or even make Elgin/Lethal a match for the shot in Feb.

I think scenario 1 is more likely than scenario 2, but it can't be lost on Delirious that people are going to view this as a spoiler. Also, keep in mind that Styles is booked on more ROH shows in Jan/Feb 2016 than he has been in most full quarters since his return in 2014. Just throwing it out there. It'd be a pretty great swerve if that's the case.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Can't wait for #TheMikeMan's second title reign and by "can't wait", I mean shaking in fear just thinking about it.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

What happened? Is an ROH title match confirmed for WK?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Ishii vs. Shibata for the NEVER title is where they're going for the Dome and they aired a Lethal video at some point, which would make no sense if he is not scheduled to defend the ROH title at WK10.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Robareid wrote:So the main event just got spoiled and pretty much confirmed to be a screwy finish.
I mean, I think the main event outcome is already spoiled by the fact that Styles can barely walk right now, so it seems very unlikely he's about to have an ROH world title reign. Just having the one match at FB will be pushing it for him.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

187_Joeism wrote:You could add Dalton Castle vs Silas Young and maybe a 4 Corner Survival with the likes of Cedric, Ferrara, Caprice Coleman or Dijak so i think Shelley has to be the surprise here.

I could see them having a surprise debut/return (Callihan) next day at the TV Tapings though.
Ferrara and Coleman aren't on the main card very often, if not at all.
On PPV, they pretty much only wrestle the pre-shows.
The last time i remember Coleman on the main card was when Cedric Alexander turned heel during a C&C WF reunion.
On the other hand, Cedric Alexander is clearly higher on the card.
Even if you add Castle vs. Young, you can have another match and Cedric could face someone unexpected.
There is no way someone like Sami Callihan or anyone with some name value only wrestle for the TV Taping and they don't use him during the PPV.
ImageImage
borklaser

Post by borklaser »

ROH Wrestling ‏@ringofhonor
.@lastrealmanroh vs @theDALTONcastle signed for #FinalBattle Available on all providers, @FlippsTV & @Playstation
How does it works via Playstation?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

AssShooter wrote:Ferrara and Coleman aren't on the main card very often, if not at all.
On PPV, they pretty much only wrestle the pre-shows.
The last time i remember Coleman on the main card was when Cedric Alexander turned heel during a C&C WF reunion.
On the other hand, Cedric Alexander is clearly higher on the card.
Even if you add Castle vs. Young, you can have another match and Cedric could face someone unexpected.
Is he ? I feel like he's never been lower on the card than he is now.

You might get some wacky Coleman/Ferrara match on the pre-show or something, then Nana can cut his big money promo about "this new group of doom he's been building up for months and how evil he is and ENVELOPES FOR EVERYONE !!!" to dead silence because no one gives a shit about him in 2015.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Final Battle hasn’t officially sold out, but with only 1,000 seats available, there are only a few seats left

Styles, who is suffering from a herniated disc in his lower back as well as nerve issues, went home from the tour early. He last wrestled on 11/27, stayed a few more days with hopes of coming back, but then flew home for rehab. Styles & Takahashi forfeited their last three matches of the tournament.

As things are planned right now, Styles is scheduled to work the 12/18 ROH PPV against Lethal for the title, the 12/19 ROH TV tapings, two shows for 2CW, an upstate New York promotion, and then take time off until the Tokyo Dome show and the “Raw after WrestleMania” show on 1/5 at Korakuen Hall.

A.J. Styles is still planning on working both the 12/18 final Battle PPV match with Jay Lethal, a well as the TV taping the next day. Final Battle goes head-to-head with the Star Wars open, which, combined with Friday not being a usual PPV night, is a double whammy. With them doing PPV and TV the next day on the same weekend to save on costs, your choices for PPV are Friday night, generally an unfamiliar night for PPV, or Saturday night, which is hard to get and filled with tough sports competition on television since you’ll almost always have boxing and UFC. We’re told if for some reason Styles can’t work, they may go with a three-way with Jay Lethal vs. Adam Cole vs. Kyle O’Reilly. Right now, Cole vs. O’Reilly is scheduled as a separate singles match.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:
Robareid wrote:So the main event just got spoiled and pretty much confirmed to be a screwy finish.
I mean, I think the main event outcome is already spoiled by the fact that Styles can barely walk right now, so it seems very unlikely he's about to have an ROH world title reign. Just having the one match at FB will be pushing it for him.
This. I'd have a back up wrestler just in case he's not physically able to perform. If Aries is working with WWE he'd be off the list, if not I'd mark out for him. Barring that if Hero is available he'd be a fine fill in. He was still over in his last appearance. I know they suggested O'Reilly and Cole in a 3 way which could work as well, but I'd really rather see those two 1 on 1 than thrown in a 3 way like that.

Any reasonable back up, so long as it's not, you know, Jake Roberts. :) (A No Prize to those that remember where that took place)
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"Elgin vs Lethal" fow wk is listed now as a "Special Singles Match"
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside

Post by Burnside »

#BigErugan
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Pipe dream but I think Lethal versus Flair in an emergency, in Philadelphia would be surprisingly good and send the fans home happy given the scenario. Is he locked into any WWE deal, wrestling wise?
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:Pipe dream but I think Lethal versus Flair in an emergency, in Philadelphia would be surprisingly good and send the fans home happy given the scenario. Is he locked into any WWE deal, wrestling wise?
Probably, especially now that he's been appearing alongside Charlotte quite often. Gotta say I'd probably enjoy the match if it happened though.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Leo C wrote:
FanSinceHDNet wrote:Pipe dream but I think Lethal versus Flair in an emergency, in Philadelphia would be surprisingly good and send the fans home happy given the scenario. Is he locked into any WWE deal, wrestling wise?
Probably, especially now that he's been appearing alongside Charlotte quite often. Gotta say I'd probably enjoy the match if it happened though.
That's a bummer. They had such great chemistry in TNA. He's THE wild card I'd like to see if an emergency opponent is needed. Sure, Aries or Hero would probably have a better match but Flair in an ROH ring against a man he's connected to so well would be phenomenal.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
Leo C wrote:
That's a bummer. They had such great chemistry in TNA. He's THE wild card I'd like to see if an emergency opponent is needed. Sure, Aries or Hero would probably have a better match but Flair in an ROH ring against a man he's connected to so well would be phenomenal.
Yeah, it'd be pretty great. There's always a chance Flair will lace his boots up again, but I wouldn't think in a million years he'd do it in a big profile singles PPV match, especially in a indy WWE has some heat with atm.