ROH matches that you find to be underrated

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DBSommer

Re: ROH matches that you find to be underrated

Post by DBSommer »

Recall wrote:Austin Aries vs. Homicide (Best of the American Super Jr.)
I really liked that one, too.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

5/13/05 ROH The Final Showdown- ROH World Title Match- Austin Aries (C) vs. James Gibson
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
project161

Post by project161 »

The latter half of 2013 had a lot of matches that I felt went undersold. I feel this was largely on account of ROH not being on iPPV at the time. The main ones I would mention include:
- Davey Richards vs. Jay Briscoe for the ROH Title from June 2013. A better defense than anything Jay has had so far in this title reign in my opinion. Crowd was hot for it and it was one of the last times Davey did the dive into the crowd
- Jimmy Jacobs vs. Roderick Strong from The Golden Dream: The finals of Jimmy's trial series. It's a shame that ROH was in a dark period in this time because this series produced a lot of quality matches (including one of Bennett's best with Jimmy.) Whitmer was on commentary for this match and added to the match. On the level of some of Roderick's current top work from this year and one of Jimmy's last great matches in ROH. Matt Taven/Adam Page and ACH/Davey were also very good on this show. The latter was a stronger farewell match for Davey than either of his following two matches in ROH.
- Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. ReDRagon (Pursuit Night 2): Columbus was on fire for this and Cedric particularly had a great performance. The fact that C&C have not teamed since also helped raise its stock. One of my favorite RD tags and probably my favorite match they had as a team until the matches with the Bucks.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

project161 wrote:The latter half of 2013 had a lot of matches that I felt went undersold. I feel this was largely on account of ROH not being on iPPV at the time. The main ones I would mention include:
- Davey Richards vs. Jay Briscoe for the ROH Title from June 2013. A better defense than anything Jay has had so far in this title reign in my opinion. Crowd was hot for it and it was one of the last times Davey did the dive into the crowd
- Jimmy Jacobs vs. Roderick Strong from The Golden Dream: The finals of Jimmy's trial series. It's a shame that ROH was in a dark period in this time because this series produced a lot of quality matches (including one of Bennett's best with Jimmy.) Whitmer was on commentary for this match and added to the match. On the level of some of Roderick's current top work from this year and one of Jimmy's last great matches in ROH. Matt Taven/Adam Page and ACH/Davey were also very good on this show. The latter was a stronger farewell match for Davey than either of his following two matches in ROH.
- Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. ReDRagon (Pursuit Night 2): Columbus was on fire for this and Cedric particularly had a great performance. The fact that C&C have not teamed since also helped raise its stock. One of my favorite RD tags and probably my favorite match they had as a team until the matches with the Bucks.
I can remember being higher on Davey/Jay at the time than almost anyone. Gave it ****1/4.
Gave Roddy vs. Jimmy **** (and Jimmy vs. Bennett ***1/2 which is definitely on the high end of Bennett singles matches)
Actually had ACH/Davey above Roddy/Jimmy at ****1/4 and had Page/Taven at ***3/4
Only went to ***1/2 on that tag match.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Rocky Romero vs Dragon....was one of my favourite matches for a long time :P
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:Rocky Romero vs Dragon....was one of my favourite matches for a long time :P
That's a bad match due to Romero selling nothing and Danielson forgetting which leg he was working on.
Nigel LikesGuinness

supersonic wrote:
Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:Rocky Romero vs Dragon....was one of my favourite matches for a long time :P
That's a bad match due to Romero selling nothing and Danielson forgetting which leg he was working on.
In your opinion :D I however enjoyed it :D haven't watched it in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars though :twisted:

Thank you for your opinion though :D Cant say you convinced me to go back and re watch it and nitpick it and lose the fact I enjoyed it 8-)
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Revisit it and then watch Lethal vs. Joe on the same show for comparison.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:
supersonic wrote:
In your opinion :D I however enjoyed it :D haven't watched it in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars though :twisted:

Thank you for your opinion though :D Cant say you convinced me to go back and re watch it and nitpick it and lose the fact I enjoyed it 8-)
Did supersonic rattle your cage with his opinion?
Last Real Man Hype
Nigel LikesGuinness

No? Did I not use enough emoticons? :?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Wilson wrote: Jerry Lynn vs Roderick Strong - A Cut Above: Crimony, if booking didn't foist him so heavily, Jerry Lynn's time in ROH would be as fondly remembered as Gibson's return to form. Jerry is not in the same shape as Roderick, but he would be damned if he didn't go out there and wrestle like he was ten years younger. A really gritty performance by both men that night.
Actually picked this show up during a recent Highspots Sale. Looking forward to watching this match.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Richards vs Strong- Final Battle 2010 This is really one of my favorite ROH matches, but I don't see it mentioned that often. Probably overshadowed by Steen vs Generico. Richards/Strong was equally as good in my opinion, but on the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of style.
Absolutely agree, one of the best ROH Championship matches of all time.
I agree on this as well. Loved this match (especially since this was the first ROH iPPV I ever watched).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Looking back at some of my ROH reviews. Here are some matches I found that I think aren't talked about enough, or are forgotten about to varying degrees:

- Aries & Strong vs. Danielson & Lethal for the ROH Tag Titles at Tag Wars 2006.
- The Briscoes vs. Samoa Joe & Homicide from Motor City Madness 2006.
- Aries & Strong vs. KENTA & Richards from Honor Reclaims Boston.
- KENTA vs. Sydal from The Bitter End.
- CIMA, Shingo & Matt Sydal vs. Aries, Strong & Delirious from Final Battle 2006.
- Takeshi Morishima vs. Brent Albright for the ROH World Title from Death Before Dishonor V: Night 2.
- No Remorse Corps & Matt Sdyal vs. The Resilience & Delirious in a Philly Street Fight from Death Before Dishonor V: Night 2 (not talked about a lot, but this is one of my favorite ROH matches ever. I really loved this match).
- Aries vs. Strong from Undeniable.
- Strong vs. Stevens for the FIP World Title from Final Battle 2007.
- McGuinness vs. Hero in a Steel Cage for the ROH World Title from Breakout.
- Go Shiozaki vs. Aries from the 6th Anniversary Show.
- McGuinness vs. El Generico for the ROH World Title from Age of Insanity.
- Age of the Fall vs. Danielson & Aries from The French Connection.
- McGuinness vs. Shiozaki vs. Steen vs. El Generico for the ROH World Title from The French Connection.
- Richards vs. Steen from Never Say Die.
- Jerry Lynn vs. Hero for the ROH World Title from Never Say Die.
- American Wolves vs. Danielson & Steen from Validation.
- Richards vs. Omega from Clash of the Contenders.
- Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. The Young Bucks from AvR.
- Aries vs. Richards for the ROH World Title from AvR.
- El Generico vs. Nakajima from The Omega Effect.
- Aries vs. Omega for the ROH World Title from The Omega Effect.
- Romero & The Briscoes vs. Kozlov & American Wolves from Eye of the Storm II.
- American Wolves vs. Young Bucks/Generation Me from Hate: Chapter II.
- KOW vs. Young Bucks/Generation Me from Salvation.
- KOW vs. Richards & Daniels for the ROH World Tag Team Titles from Allied Forces.
- Hero vs. Richards from Only The Strong Survive.
- Strong vs. Jay Briscoe from Only The Strong Survive (another match that I REALLY enjoyed. One of my all time favorite ROH matches).
- Richards vs. TJP from SoCal Showdown II.
- KOW vs. American Wolves from Revolution USA.
- Briscoes vs. ANX in a Chicago Street Fight from Supercard of Honor VI.
- American Wolves vs. ANX from Gateway To Honor.
WDRLeavelle

Post by WDRLeavelle »

Steen vs O'Reilly
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Dalton Castle vs. Roderick Strong from Road To Best In The World

HOLLY SHIT JUST SAW THE MATCH...AMAZING

4 1/2 FOR ME