Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Moose should have ever left ROH
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

A lot of people is praising Cody's match with Okada, and for it was just a average match. I mean, you cannot have a bad match with Kazuchika f'n Okada. And well, NJPW was trying to sell his product, but that main event in Long Beach was worked under the WWE Big Match formula (which I hate).

Maybe it was Cody's best in-ring performance, but I liked more Other matches he has had this year with Bad Bones, Riddle or even Lethal at SCOH. The Okada match was good, but you have to think that there's no Okadas in ROH right now. Cody's World Title matches will be way worse than that one and with this "entertaiment" style. Plus, we've seen how the IWGP champ destroyed and played with ROH's World champ.

Good match, not my cup of tea and not what I would expect from a ROH or NJPW main event match ---> ***1/4.

Plus, NJPW said that they'll do more shows next year in the USA. How much this alliance with ROH will last ? They are using ROH but once they are establish in USA, they won't need ROH anymore.

I didn't know where to write this and if this was worth their own thread.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Okada/Cody was my match of the night on July 1. In hindsight, Cody as an opponent was evidently a very smart decision, creating a very clear face/heel dynamic in front of a new audience. Cody will never end up being among the top five workers on any given New Japan show, but his presence in the match afforded much more tension and emotional investment than in the typical defense.

With the big defense out of the way, I hope this was the zenith of his time in NJPW, going back to becoming a secondary/tertiary title contender or doing special singles. I don't want to see him in any more matches of that length, because he gets lost in them.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:01 pm Moose should have ever left ROH
Financially (short/medium term wise) you are incorrect. TNA when he first signed were offering a lot of money during a time where they felt optimistic about the future.

But in terms of his maturation as a talent and name agreed.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm
Financially (short/medium term wise) you are incorrect. TNA when he first signed were offering a lot of money during a time where they felt optimistic about the future.

But in terms of his maturation as a talent and name agreed.
Holy fuck. The earth just stopped rotating on its axis. Rovert just agreed with monster mafia on something.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah i think the same, Financially was good but as a wrestler was a bad choice.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

NJPW's president Kidani said that the G1 Special tour was a success. He'll open a office in LA this year. Also, he said that the USA Dojo will be open at the beginning of next year and that he'd like to try a touring style not later than March/April, will this be the turnning point in ROH/NJPW relationship?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I just think this gives ROH guys more dates than just ROH dates. NJPW is going to be more west coast based, ROH doesn't tour the west except for Vegas so I don't think there will be much conflict. If anything I think ROH/NJPW relationship becomes stronger especially talent wise. They'll (NJPW) want to keep that relationship strong so they can get talent on an emergency basis like if say somebody runs into visa issues just give ROH a call and they can figure out somebody under contract to helo them out.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I agree.

I think the relationship has been very fruitful for NJPW and there's really no downside to keeping it going until/unless there begins to be conflict with both promotions running the same markets at the same time.

They can keep sending young lions here for excursions, they can keep putting their stars in front of a MUCH larger TV audience than their AXS show reaches, they can get more dates for their stars who work the US, and they can continue to collaborate on paying certain stars like The Young Bucks to keep them from jumping to WWE. It will be years before NJPW can reach the number of dates in the US that ROH runs every year, and as mentioned above, ROH is growing from the Northeast outwards while NJPW starts in the Southwest.

I think NJPW is planning on sticking with ROH, CMLL, and RevPro for the long haul. Not sure about wXw.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If the relationship stays in tact and NJPW does well here it may begin to sway talent to ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:27 am NJPW's president Kidani said that the G1 Special tour was a success. He'll open a office in LA this year. Also, he said that the USA Dojo will be open at the beginning of next year and that he'd like to try a touring style not later than March/April, will this be the turnning point in ROH/NJPW relationship?
I think the turning point was selling both nights out in 5 minutes.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I actually enjoyed him a bit more in TNA than I ever did in ROH. He's another one of those guys who seems like someone who was hurt by Delirious being totally unwilling to let him talk. By the time he left he felt like he had done everything he could in ROH except win a title. He felt very much like Dalton Castle: a one-trick pony, and once you've seen him wrestle all of the hosses and brawlers, what else is there for him to do in a company that never books any undercard stories that actually go anywhere.
Big Red Machine

I, too, think people are overhyping the Okada vs. Cody match. Don't get awrong: I thought it was awesome (I had it at 8/10), but people saying it was even in the same league as Elgin vs. Omega is incomprehensible to me.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

So I take it War Machine are staying with ROH and New Japan, right? I feel like with what appeared in the Observer that it appeared they were on the way out as of around the last the last TV tapings, but then a week later things changed, as they won the IWGP tag titles.
Big Red Machine

LJimmy wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 pm So I take it War Machine are staying with ROH and New Japan, right? I feel like with what appeared in the Observer that it appeared they were on the way out as of around the last the last TV tapings, but then a week later things changed, as they won the IWGP tag titles.
This seems to be the case, although I suppose this could be some kind of short-term thing and they'll drop the belts either in the UK or on the G1 final day or something like that.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

LJimmy wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 pm So I take it War Machine are staying with ROH and New Japan, right? I feel like with what appeared in the Observer that it appeared they were on the way out as of around the last the last TV tapings, but then a week later things changed, as they won the IWGP tag titles.
Haven't heard much talk of them in conjunction with WWE in a while besides the general understanding WWE is interested.

They fit hand in glove in NJPW and are very happy there.

With the Observer you have to consider the source/bias towards ROH it won't print they have greatly disliked how they have been used in ROH recently they may have finished independently of WWE or New Japan.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I was inclined to agree that NJPW USA and ROH should and could coexist well to each other's benefit, although the news in the SuperCard of Honor thread about NJPW looking to run WrestleMania weekend is ... not ideal. If they run head to head instead of running SuperCard as a joint show, that would be a red flag to me.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 am
Haven't heard much talk of them in conjunction with WWE in a while besides the general understanding WWE is interested.

They fit hand in glove in NJPW and are very happy there.

With the Observer you have to consider the source/bias towards ROH it won't print they have greatly disliked how they have been used in ROH recently they may have finished independently of WWE or New Japan.
Can you blame them? Other than the feud with the PBK, they have been booked like shit in ROH since the inexplicable loss of the tag titles to The Addiction.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wrestling Observer said that the IWGP US title will be defended at both ROH and NJPW. So, should de expect IWGP USA Title defenses at ROH's PPVs?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:45 am Wrestling Observer said that the IWGP US title will be defended at both ROH and NJPW. So, should de expect IWGP USA Title defenses at ROH's PPVs?
If it saves Johnston from booking one less story every three months, then I'm sure ROH will be glad to add them.

Really, if it is indeed the case, I wonder how those matches will end up being developed, as matches rarely go beyond 20 minutes on PPV, and that's on Omega's lower end of his modern singles matches. It'll probably be a pretty marquee event if that happens, even if it doesn't end up being the Omega match we come to expect in New Japan.