Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

418 unsold tickets, 10 up for resale, 428 available seats is the current number
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I’m watching week by week and this Rocco character is fucking horrible and annoying. Hate to see where he’s headed.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I honestly think any promotions that are in a position to run shows with fans in the near future are going to see good crowds for a good while. There will be a honeymoon period for not just pro wrestling but sports, concerts, movies, and live events in general. People will just be glad to be allowed to do something.

However many tickets ROH released for BITW, it looks like they'll easily sell the remaining ~400 in the next month. 20 in the last 24 hours is a good sign for a show a month out with only two matches announced.

Impact easily sold out however few tickets they were allowed to sell for Slammiversary at pretty high prices. That studio is so tiny it can't be many, but they sure sold quickly.

MLW will easily sell every seat they're allowed to at the ECW Arena for their return.

WWE and AEW live event sales look very strong for their returns to regular touring.

Even down in Mexico, CMLL has sold out every Arena Mexico show since they were allowed to bring back fans. They've only been allowed 500 per event but that's multiple events per week and soon they're ramping up to four shows per week at Arena Mexico alone. It will probably be years before they're fully recovered but it's a solid sign.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 am I’m watching week by week and this Rocco character is fucking horrible and annoying. Hate to see where he’s headed.
Hes annoying but i got a kick out of Take my card, its luminated for your protection.

im ok with him. i mean id rather an annoying manager over an annoying wrestler
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Lavie on Twitter shared a article that says comet normal viewership in primetime is 96k and charge gets 81k in primetime
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 pm Lavie on Twitter shared a article that says comet normal viewership in primetime is 96k and charge gets 81k in primetime
That’s the average per night. So how many of those people are watching ROH? Since it’s not on all 7 nights, and nothing in the article Lavie links to says anything about ROH.

But yes promote that number like they’re somehow outdrawing Impact (which is highly unlikely).
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Mavsfan41 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:41 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 pm Lavie on Twitter shared a article that says comet normal viewership in primetime is 96k and charge gets 81k in primetime
That’s the average per night. So how many of those people are watching ROH? Since it’s not on all 7 nights, and nothing in the article Lavie links to says anything about ROH.

But yes promote that number like they’re somehow outdrawing Impact (which is highly unlikely).
Didn't say anything about roh but a number out there from articles and koff on what type of viewership roh gets
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Didn't say anything about roh but a number out there from articles and koff on what type of viewership roh gets
You posted it in Random ROH Thoughts so it seems to be suggesting that you believe those are accurate numbers for ROH. Thus why I questioned it.

And believing Koff isn’t something I’m willing to do. He has more incentive to lie about the numbers than he does to speak the truth. That would be like saying “Tony Khan told me that AEW draws 3 million viewers per week when DVR and streaming get added in”. It would be such an obvious BS number (as is Koff’s 500,000 per week claim), but according to your logic it’s true because someone said it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

1. ROH no longer airs on Comet or Charge to begin with. They started out on Comet, which is a scifi network. Then Charge launched, and ROH moved there because it's an action network and wrestling makes more sense there. Then Stadium launched, and ROH moved there because wrestling makes more sense on a sports channel. We don't know what Stadium's viewership is because it's not measured by Nielsen but it has the same distribution as Comet and Charge. Even if Stadium is only drawing 25% of what Charge does in primetime, they're still airing ROH in primetime (and in other slots) multiple nights every single week and they're still only one of many TV outlets showing ROH.

2. It's extremely likely ROH is outdrawing Impact in the US, which is not much of an accomplishment. Look at the socially distanced house ROH is about to draw in Baltimore; that's a house Impact would kill to draw in non-pandemic times. As I've said before, TV test patterns would draw Impact numbers with ROH's distribution.

It's extremely unlikely ROH is outdrawing Impact outside the US, though. Both have TV deals in India but Impact's is way better.

The numbers that Joe Koff gave out earlier this year (300-400K, sometimes barely scraping 500K) are about half of the verified Nielsen numbers we got from 2014-2015 (which were almost 700K combined). I find that very believable that ROH has lost about half its popularity in that span.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Sinclair to begin broadcasting boxing and MMA on Stadium and Bally Sports Networks:
https://insidersport.com/2021/06/11/ko- ... th-ballys/

Good sign that they want combat sports on their networks.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:17 am Sinclair to begin broadcasting boxing and MMA on Stadium and Bally Sports Networks:

The article says the program is airing on June 9th lol. Golden Boy used to show their small time boxing cards on DAZN. That’s probably what this is.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 am
famicommander wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:17 am Sinclair to begin broadcasting boxing and MMA on Stadium and Bally Sports Networks:

The article says the program is airing on June 9th lol. Golden Boy used to show their small time boxing cards on DAZN. That’s probably what this is.
Golden Boy still shows cards on DAZN.

This is a new thing where De La Hoya is putting MMA and boxing fights on the same card and using a bunch of gimmick technology to spruce it up. I saw a screen shot for it online the other day, must have been from the June 9 airing.

Seems like a similar concept to Karate Combat but not as expensive or well developed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF5wMMARS7Y

Legitimate fights with video game presentation.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Honestly, it wouldn't be horribly shocking to see some kind of Sinclair/Anthem buy out or merger some time down the line. They're pretty similar companies and for Sinclair Anthem's lineup of channels would be a decent consolation prize after failing to get WGN in the Tribune deal that fell apart.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm https://twitter.com/cupofjoekeys/status ... 51398?s=21 Joe Keys on AEW Dark
Not surprised most talent seem like they only want to work three promotions wwe aew or njpw
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm https://twitter.com/cupofjoekeys/status ... 51398?s=21 Joe Keys on AEW Dark
devastating news
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:44 pm
devastating news
There was a report that said lio rush was signed or going to have a dual contract with aew and new japan if that the case it will be hard for roh or impact mlw nwa to hold on to talent
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:47 pm
devastating news
There was a report that said lio rush was signed or going to have a dual contract with aew and new japan if that the case it will be hard for roh or impact mlw nwa to hold on to talent
Lio retired again the other day. He did sign with New Japan prior to that though. As for MLW I don’t think they viewed him as a big loss since they’d had him drop the belt back to Jordan Oliver.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 am I’m watching week by week and this Rocco character is fucking horrible and annoying. Hate to see where he’s headed.
I think he’s straddling the line, but showed enough promise that I’m interested in seeing a little more. He needs to be more Saul Goodman and less Harvey Whippleman.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:47 pm
devastating news
Not a dual contract. He is signed with New Japan a didn't sign with AEW due to deciding to retire. New Japan did give Lio the okay to sign with AEW but New Japan is using talent from all companies right now and aren't stopping any foreign talent from working with any of the major North American companies, WWE excluded obviously.