Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

There's really not a downside for ROH here, unless they massively under-fill the arena and it makes them look bad. With their employees fronting the costs, why the hell not?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

roh needs to be part of this bullet club purpose...amazing.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Hey, I have a weeklie radio show where we talk about wrestling. We have a section where we do funny rankings with the most stupid things promotions have ever done.

Next week I'm looking foward to do a top with ROH. So, if you can, just let me know the worst storylines, matches, Weird nonsensical stuff ROH has ever done. This could be really fun.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

The first two things I thought of:

- Kevin Sullivan run in at the end of the Corino / Whitmer fight without honor
- Larry Sweeney dragging Bobby Dempsey on top of an "unconscious" Allison Danger
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I haven't actually seen the match yet so I could be way off base, but when I heard Stephen Amell was wrestling at a Ring of Honor show I was sick to my stomach. Celebrities getting in the ring is almost always bad, and it's the sort of thing that belongs in "sports entertainment" and not professional wrestling.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

famicommander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm I haven't actually seen the match yet so I could be way off base, but when I heard Stephen Amell was wrestling at a Ring of Honor show I was sick to my stomach. Celebrities getting in the ring is almost always bad, and it's the sort of thing that belongs in "sports entertainment" and not professional wrestling.
Dude really? Way to make a stand. Amell is an athlete, he's a fan, he takes wrestling seriously and he was in a multi-person tag match. Being sickened by Leno or Danny Bonaduce I get but Stephen Amell, dude really?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 pm
Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm
AlexROH wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm It wasn't filler, it was a Big House un Dallas in Cody's last title defense Before final battle and the last match between them. They wanted to make it a great and memorable match and that's what they do. I don't have a problem with that.
How else could you describe a match that was announced less than a week in advance of an event, where the champion already has a challenger built on a PPV, and in which no one believes in the possibility of a title change? There's nothing wrong with filler title matches, they're probably even necessary. You just don't want to do too many of them, nor do you want to do throwaways (which we haven't seen more of since Austin Aries's second reign).

Daniels is definitely a smart guy, but he's taken some scary bumps in the past (remember that terrifying Ultimate X bump?), and he's at a point where he just doesn't need to be doing them. I'm worried that he might develop a reputation of being a daredevil worker.

That said, I also understand if his mentality is, "this is dumb, but I want to do it anyway." He's more than earned his right to pick his literal spots. Like famicommander wrote, I am most concerned about spots that put the neck or head in precarity, or if scenarios like this were orchestrated by a predacious promoter.
I didn't express well. I mean, of course it is a transition defense going into Final Battle, but I don't call these type of matches filler. I mean, filler are random things without a purpose, IMO. This match was the end of one of the "strongest" or most important programms in ROH this year. They wanted to risk everything so people talk about the match and then fans buy the VOD/DVD. For me, it isn't filler. Just like the match Lethal and Cabana had last year in Duluth. Maybe it was "filler" bc it was a VOD show, but while I was watching it, I felt it was something special for ending their feud and both of them worked really hard to make the match meanful and it was one of my favourite matches of the year and one of the most underated matches in 2016. So, if Daniels and Cody wanted to make what could have been seen as a filler match an awesome match that everybody talks about, I understand it.
I don't think it's "filler" so much as just poorly promoted. As Alex pointed out, this was the blow-off to a major feud. The issue is that the feud was put on the backburner for too long while Cody had other defenses that actually were filler and they did a terrible job of building Daniels up for it and of building up to the stip... but the match was intended as a big-time blow-off to a major feud. It wasn't someone getting a title shot for no explicitly stated reason just so Cody can get another title defense in. Whether Cody already had a bigger title match announced isn't really relevant. I guess you can call that a failure of booking if you want, but that fact doesn't make this a failure of storytelling (the poor storytelling makes it a failure of storytelling, but they're different issues).
Big Red Machine

maxx_powerz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 pm The first two things I thought of:

- Kevin Sullivan run in at the end of the Corino / Whitmer fight without honor
- Larry Sweeney dragging Bobby Dempsey on top of an "unconscious" Allison Danger
I think the Sweeney thing falls more into the realm of "poor taste" than actual show-ruining stupidity.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Gabe having Erick Stevens pin Bryan Danielson clean. Gabe was desperately trying to get Stevens over and it was a bad idea because he wasn't. Danielson losing to Stevens was just absolutely unbelievable, no one accepted it, and it actually hurt Stevens.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WebConn wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:32 am
famicommander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm I haven't actually seen the match yet so I could be way off base, but when I heard Stephen Amell was wrestling at a Ring of Honor show I was sick to my stomach. Celebrities getting in the ring is almost always bad, and it's the sort of thing that belongs in "sports entertainment" and not professional wrestling.
Dude really? Way to make a stand. Amell is an athlete, he's a fan, he takes wrestling seriously and he was in a multi-person tag match. Being sickened by Leno or Danny Bonaduce I get but Stephen Amell, dude really?
Maybe my mind will change when I see the match, but I still think Ring of Honor should be above this sort of publicity stunt. Wrestling rings are for wrestlers.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Is it really a publicity stunt? Johnny Fairplay was a publicity stunt. I don't feel as if Amell was a stunt. He seems genuine in his approach to wrestling and it's not a cash grab from him or from ROH I think. I see your argument but I think you could ease up a little bit in this instance.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think it's okay as long as he was used / wrestled like an athletic heel manager. Jumping guys from behind, hitting them when one of his teammates are holding them down, etc. I would have had a big problem if it were a 4 v 4 match though, and still might have a problem if they do "face" celebrity spots like he's Karl Malone putting Hogan in an arm ringer.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WebConn wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm Is it really a publicity stunt? Johnny Fairplay was a publicity stunt. I don't feel as if Amell was a stunt. He seems genuine in his approach to wrestling and it's not a cash grab from him or from ROH I think. I see your argument but I think you could ease up a little bit in this instance.
It just devalues the wrestlers themselves for a guy who has almost zero experience to jump into the ring and compete with them in any fashion. And I say this as a massive, massive fan of the Arrowverse (the extended universe of shows that branched out from Stephen Amell's Arrow).

Imagine a total amateur getting into a boxing ring with Gennady Golovkin or an MMA cage with Conor McGregor. CM Punk trained for two years before his MMA debut and he got destroyed in 2 minutes by an undercard fighter. And McGregor, who had been an amateur boxer as a teenager and had been training in boxing as part of his MMA routine his whole life, was taken as a joke by Mayweather. Floyd toyed with him like a cat with a wounded mouse.

I feel the same way about the impending MMA Horsewomen vs WWE Horsewomen thing. Just completely devalues the entire women's division for people with no experience to jump into the ring and be competitive.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:56 pm
WebConn wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm Is it really a publicity stunt? Johnny Fairplay was a publicity stunt. I don't feel as if Amell was a stunt. He seems genuine in his approach to wrestling and it's not a cash grab from him or from ROH I think. I see your argument but I think you could ease up a little bit in this instance.
It just devalues the wrestlers themselves for a guy who has almost zero experience to jump into the ring and compete with them in any fashion. And I say this as a massive, massive fan of the Arrowverse (the extended universe of shows that branched out from Stephen Amell's Arrow).

Imagine a total amateur getting into a boxing ring with Gennady Golovkin or an MMA cage with Conor McGregor. CM Punk trained for two years before his MMA debut and he got destroyed in 2 minutes by an undercard fighter. And McGregor, who had been an amateur boxer as a teenager and had been training in boxing as part of his MMA routine his whole life, was taken as a joke by Mayweather. Floyd toyed with him like a cat with a wounded mouse.

I feel the same way about the impending MMA Horsewomen vs WWE Horsewomen thing. Just completely devalues the entire women's division for people with no experience to jump into the ring and be competitive.
I agree with all of this aside from the Horsewomen thing. Within kayfabe, pro wrestling and MMA are similar enough that it doesn't bother me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/horror ... -film-find

Vinny Marseglia has been cast for the lead role of an upcoming horror film. It's a direct to video/streaming movie with a limited threatrical release.

He still sucks but at least his nickname makes sense now.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Did anyone listen to Pro Wrestling.Net's ROH roster evaluation podcast the other week?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

ProWrestling.Net still exists?!

To be fair, until Something to Wrestle With a couple weeks ago I forgot PWTorch existed too.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:49 pm http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/horror ... -film-find

Vinny Marseglia has been cast for the lead role of an upcoming horror film. It's a direct to video/streaming movie with a limited threatrical release.

He still sucks but at least his nickname makes sense now.
I wish him all of the success in the movie world- or at least enough that he decides to do that instead of wrestling.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't realize Rhodes had been Cody's legal last name since he was 17 years old, and is also Brandi's legal last name. I thought the legal name was Runnels.

Strange that WWE can still keep him from using it when it has been his legal name since he was a minor.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 am Hey, I have a weeklie radio show where we talk about wrestling. We have a section where we do funny rankings with the most stupid things promotions have ever done.

Next week I'm looking foward to do a top with ROH. So, if you can, just let me know the worst storylines, matches, Weird nonsensical stuff ROH has ever done. This could be really fun.
Listen to ThROH the Years discuss the first segment to ever take place in an ROH ring.