Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

No more AEW Dark / Dark Elevation for AEW in lieu of their new 2 hour Saturday show. Will most of the Dark talent, just move to ROH? Seems like Dynamite is their #1 show; the Saturday show (tentatively named Collision) would be their #2 with Rampage being their 3rd show in terms of importance. My guess is they'll mostly tape Dynamite & Rampage together and Collision with ROH. Imagine we'll be hearing more news on this soon.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

No show will be a clear #2. The egos will be highly competitive and there will be continuous internal mudslinging aplenty.
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:36 pm No show will be a clear #2. The egos will be highly competitive and there will be continuous internal mudslinging aplenty.
Well; i imagine the ratings will dictate the show rankings. I don't see the Saturday show taking off that much; unless you have a different booker/mindset. Which could work the other way too. We don't know if it will be a soft brand split; if any yet.

Tonight's ROH Show :

Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels
Claudio vs. Robbie Eagles
Rocky Romero vs Lee Moriarty
Angelico vs. Komander
Athena vs. Angelica Risk
Kingdom & Varsity Athletes vs. Best Friends, Darius Martin, Action Andretti, Stu Grayson
Skye Blue vs. Robyn Renegade
Willow vs. Steph De Lander
Brain Cage vs. Brock Anderson
Preston Vance vs. Rick Adonis
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

supersonic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:36 pm No show will be a clear #2. The egos will be highly competitive and there will be continuous internal mudslinging aplenty.
Everyone wants to make it a pissing contest, fans included. Well everyone but Punk who just wants to work. But ya know…
Captain Podcast
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

As captain Shawn Dean is there, it is AEW Dark.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

So it looks like ROH will be taped before Collision going forward.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

As the "new era" of Ring of Honor continues to develop itself, company owner Tony Khan has intertwined his signed talent with several unsigned performers. In the process, some of those unsigned names have become regulars in the programming, leaving many to question their contract status with ROH. A new report from Fightful Select has provided some answers.

Shane Taylor, a former ROH World Television Champion, resurfaced in the ROH brand prior to the Final Battle pay-per-view last December. Since then, he's participated in three rounds of television tapings, including the most recent ones last weekend at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Despite his frequent appearances, Taylor reportedly remains a "completely free agent." While Taylor may be unsigned, he still has some unfinished business he'd like to take care of in ROH. Last month, Taylor made it clear that he wants to acquire every championship the promotion has to offer, including the ROH World Championship that has eluded him.

Rhett Titus, Cheeseburger, and LSG are also working regularly for ROH without contracts. Titus, a former ROH World Tag Team Champion, recently revived his partnership with Tracy Williams as the two are once again teaming together. Cheeseburger has also been participating in tag team action lately as he continues to wrestle alongside Eli Isom. In March, though, Cheeseburger received an opportunity to challenge ROH World Television Champion Samoa Joe for his title. For LSG, his ROH return occurred during the first official tapings of the "new era" back in February as he teamed with Joe Keys and Rex Lawless.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Based on the rumors, the new AEW/Warner deal will be for AEW TV/PPV’s /Streaming for 5 years. Rumored around 200m per year (1B for the 5 years). Much higher than their first deal. Should be announced next week, along with the new show collision. Great news for AEW if true.

Sounds like ROH is not involved and Warner doesn’t want it competing against AEW. Not sure where this leaves ROH, other than Honorclub. It will be taped with Collision. Who knows if Tony will offer ROH to other channels. Too bad, they couldn’t throw it on TruTv/ bundle it in. Too early to say, but wonder if higher tier talent like Claudio/Joe/Lucha Bros, will shift off ROH, and it be used more for guys like Action Andretti/Ethan Page/Brian Cage/Lance archer, and using more indie talent mixed in.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Montana wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:15 am Based on the rumors, the new AEW/Warner deal will be for AEW TV/PPV’s /Streaming for 5 years. Rumored around 200m per year (1B for the 5 years). Much higher than their first deal. Should be announced next week, along with the new show collision. Great news for AEW if true.

Sounds like ROH is not involved and Warner doesn’t want it competing against AEW. Not sure where this leaves ROH, other than Honorclub. It will be taped with Collision. Who knows if Tony will offer ROH to other channels. Too bad, they couldn’t throw it on TruTv/ bundle it in. Too early to say, but wonder if higher tier talent like Claudio/Joe/Lucha Bros, will shift off ROH, and it be used more for guys like Action Andretti/Ethan Page/Brian Cage/Lance archer, and using more indie talent mixed in.
Sounds like the numbers rumored seem high. Not too surprising. I’d suspect they’ll get noticeably more than what they were (~50M) I doubt they go all the way to 200M per year. I’d estimate around ~100M give or taken per year, pending what’s all included. They would now be doing 5 hours of wrestling per week, plus the 1 hour all access show, which I assume is season based.

The new deal should be announced next Weds. not sure how well Collision will do long term. Should do better than rampage, but that’s a lot of wrestling on tv.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Tony Deppen has revealed that a “freak accident” led to a severe arm break during a match with Zack Sabre Jr on Thursday.

The match was the main event of GCW’s Fight Night Brooklyn show.

In a post on Twitter, Deppen noted that he worked “more than a few minutes” of the match after sustaining the fracture.

Deppen will require surgery, which is slated to take place in a week or two. He expects to be out of action for around six to eight weeks.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

TV was so much better this week. I really want ROH to run in this format rather than being taped as a pre-show for AEW.

Claudio/Yuta vs Tracy/Rhett was such a gorgeous TV wrestling match. Multiple other bangers as well.

Really hope TK signs Shane Taylor too…
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Putting the Claudio/Fenix match, then the Lucha Bros vs Claudio/Yuta match on Dynamite rather than ROH really sucks.

I completely get it - since those are huge matches and you want as many people as possible to see them, so of course they should be in AEW rather than hidden away on Honor Club.

But from a solely ROH viewpoint/perspective it is completely rotten and a bit sad.
Montana

Post by Montana »

McXal wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 am Putting the Claudio/Fenix match, then the Lucha Bros vs Claudio/Yuta match on Dynamite rather than ROH really sucks.

I completely get it - since those are huge matches and you want as many people as possible to see them, so of course they should be in AEW rather than hidden away on Honor Club.

But from a solely ROH viewpoint/perspective it is completely rotten and a bit sad.
I have very mixed thoughts on everything. A lot of awesome stuff with the new ROH; but much like how i felt being disconnected at the last PPV; it still feels that way. It's weird to be AEW's little brother. It's weird top ROH matches are in AEW. It's weird to see dark order/ wingman in ROH. I'm not surprised, that it's a good place to use younger/ less experienced talent, with some more experienced talent... but like they aren't building towards any big shows. It's basically building to a random bigger match in a couple weeks. There are angles; and they aren't bad....but like why do i care about Stu Grayson in ROH. He's likely just going to be a jobber in AEW. Kaun picks up a big win on ROH tv; then loses on AEW tv.

Stuff like AR Fox and ZSJ was awesome. The WorkHorsemen have been picking up a lot of steam. Shane Taylor seems to be a regular now. Fight without Honor was really good. The commentary team with Bobby Cruise is great. Lots to like; but like ... i don't know why we aren't getting stuff like: Claudio vs. Rush, Bandido, Taven, in ROH. Instead we get Claudio vs. Metalik, Robbie Eagles, and Serpentico... good matches, but why??? Claudio could be having a all time great run; but he's being booked in meaningless matches. Athena has been having a great run. Just now, they are posting some videos on Youtube for ROH. Is Kingston going to be a key player in ROH?? Feels like he's barely around, and i don't really remember if he's still feuding with Cluadio or what. I thought they were going to build that tag match with Kingston and Shibata vs. Claudio/Yuta. That was nearly 2 months now and supposedly the big angle to come out of the ppv.

So yeah, some stuff is great; and a fair amount to shake your head at. While i like the TV show; i still think they should add a monthly live event. Bring back some of the old live events: Anniversary event, Survival of the Fittest, Glory By Honor, maybe add in a new staple show.
Montana

Post by Montana »

For those who don’t subscribe, ROH’s YouTube posted AR Fox vs Zack Sabre Jr, from Thursdays episode.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

This week's ROH episode on Honor Club is almost 3 hours long and it consists..... 19 matches :shock: :?
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

But Tony assured us on Twitter it was ‘PPV quality’. Ian Riccaboni said (and I quote word for word) ‘with no hyperbole, tonight’s Ring Of Honor is a PPV-level broadcast’!

Are you saying they weren’t being genuine?! 😈

(To be fair, although I’ll admit the above was wholly cynical and laced with sarcasm, I’ve not actually seen the show yet & will be sitting down to review it this weekend. I’m trying to be open minded, I really am. But damn does it ever look like 2 and a quarter hours of Dark with two or three decent matches somewhere in there. That doesn’t sound like a PPV I’d ever want to pay for…)
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

McXal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:27 pm But Tony assured us on Twitter it was ‘PPV quality’. Ian Riccaboni said (and I quote word for word) ‘with no hyperbole, tonight’s Ring Of Honor is a PPV-level broadcast’!

Are you saying they weren’t being genuine?! 😈

(To be fair, although I’ll admit the above was wholly cynical and laced with sarcasm, I’ve not actually seen the show yet & will be sitting down to review it this weekend. I’m trying to be open minded, I really am. But damn does it ever look like 2 and a quarter hours of Dark with two or three decent matches somewhere in there. That doesn’t sound like a PPV I’d ever want to pay for…)
First time ever that I’m letdown by Ian for blatantly lying about that being PPV worth. It’s ROH Dark like most of us said it would be back in March but we were told we had no idea what we were talking about. 9.99 for this is a joke. My sub ends June 15.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Here's 19 matches, inspite of most of it being completely pointless why wouldn't this get the hyperbole treatment. Nobody seems to see this.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:53 pm Here's 19 matches, inspite of most of it being completely pointless why wouldn't this get the hyperbole treatment. Nobody seems to see this.
Yea we never see anything, you are the only one that truly understands it.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ian and Tony's job is the sell the product. Companies mislead constantly. While i'll say the statement was generous; i don't know how many people signed up for HonorClub because there were 19 matches this week.

Certainly a 3-4 really good matches in there. Think the biggest issue is it being a paid subscription service, but filling it with enhancement talent from AEW dark. (Which has been free on YT for 4 years, watching half of these guys lose) The good outweighs the bad; but the bad sure does question why i am paying for this.

Every week when i see the card, i question why i am paying for this; and i don't like the direction it's heading; BUT after watching the episode, i'm like, well that was a pretty good episode; i think i'll keep going another week.

I'm guessing TK is trying out some talent for ROH as well...the quality of matches and effort, is certainly better than dark. It's also tough to rehab a wrestler, and push them.

That said, anyone's guess where ROH is headed next. If Tony didn't care about the product, he wouldn't put Claudio, Jericho, FTR, Lucha Bros, Samoa Joe in ROH. My guess is that they'll cycle talent though... but would it be better served for everyone; if they put younger guys like Ethan Page, Jungle Boy, Hook, Rickey Starks , Yuta, Garica, as the top tier like ROH guys; to prepare them for a bigger push in AEW? If they are going to use some previous ROH talent, wouldn't guys like Roddy and Kyle O'Reily make more sense. No offense to Roddy and O'Reily, who are two of my favorites; i also don't know how much they are going to move the needle for dynamite.