Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
isles11

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by isles11 »

tigermask7.0 wrote:I would like to see mark briscoe wear a mouthpiece with fangs on it, so that he looks & becomes the wolfman (wildman) of ROH. then given the tv title shortly afterwards.
Yea, but Terry Funk ain't wear no mouthpiece.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

isles11 wrote:
tigermask7.0 wrote:I would like to see mark briscoe wear a mouthpiece with fangs on it, so that he looks & becomes the wolfman (wildman) of ROH. then given the tv title shortly afterwards.
Yea, but Terry Funk ain't wear no mouthpiece.
was thinking teen wolf not terry funk

have mark "teen wolf" briscoe team with "marty mcfly" kushida to form a tag team called "the michael j. foxes"
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Anyone notice that 90% of the time when Elgin catches someone to display his strength, it'll get countered? Which frustrates me, cause I really want to see him slamming the shit out of people from nowhere, but it hardly ever happens.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Would anyone else be interested in seeing OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist) getting another run in ROH?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Would anyone else be interested in seeing OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist) getting another run in ROH?
Yeah! They are one os my favourites teams in the indy scene, doing great things in AAW. Would be a great addiction to the ROH Tag Team Division. Hope Josh & Ethan get another run too.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Final Battle 2020 - BJ Whitmer vs. Steve Corino - Fight Without Honor

With an emotional embrace afterwards.
Last Real Man Hype
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Would anyone else be interested in seeing OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist) getting another run in ROH?
Definitely.

They're a great, versatile tag team who could create some fresh matches in the tag scene, which they seem to be needing as of late. I love combinations of Young Bucks, RedDragon, The Addiction but I think the OI4K would fit in well and help create some diversity.

They had a really good match with the Young Bucks in CZW awhile ago, too. I'd like to see a rematch in ROH.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Just finished Disc 1 for "Japan's Finest" and this might be the best $20 I've ever spent on wrestling, such a great compilation.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

If Roderick doesn’t succeed in his imminent world title matchup, I would like to see him be the next story vehicle for the frequenting NJPW stars, namely Bullet Club.
dudelove

Post by dudelove »

Wilson wrote:If Roderick doesn’t succeed in his imminent world title matchup, I would like to see him be the next story vehicle for the frequenting NJPW stars, namely Bullet Club.
I actually wouldn't mind if Roderick got another run with the TV title. He is on fire right now and I feel like most of his title reigns have been underwhelming. Give him the TV title and let him have a hot run of awesome title defenses. It helps maintain the credibility of the title and then he can pass it on to someone a little lower down the roster once they've been built up properly. There are several guys who would make good TV champs but I think they need to be built up more. ACH may be the closest currently ready, but I'd like to see Roderick take it and then drop it to ACH or Silas.

Would anyone else mind seeing Roderick also mixing it back up in the tag ranks with a semi-regular partner? I don't know who that would be offhand but anything that keeps Roderick relevant and at the top of the cards is okay with me. The guy is too damn good to be without direction.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

Remember when Elgin was in the middle of his breakdown, and he said that he did all that no-selling, move spamming because that's the way he was asked to wrestle?

I bring this up because, with that in mind, doesn't it feel like Roderick was told at the beginning of the year to go out and have the best match on the card every night?

Pure conjecture, for sure, but if I'm right, what does that mean? I don't necessarily think this is true, but I bring it up for debate; shouldn't the goal of everyone in a workrate-heavy promotion like ROH be to have the best match they can every night? Or does that kind of booking get us to PWG?
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

JTGrasby wrote:
Definitely.

They're a great, versatile tag team who could create some fresh matches in the tag scene, which they seem to be needing as of late. I love combinations of Young Bucks, RedDragon, The Addiction but I think the OI4K would fit in well and help create some diversity.

They had a really good match with the Young Bucks in CZW awhile ago, too. I'd like to see a rematch in ROH.
Wasn't there talk or rumors of them winding things down? Maybe thats wrong.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

trufreedom wrote:Remember when Elgin was in the middle of his breakdown, and he said that he did all that no-selling, move spamming because that's the way he was asked to wrestle?

I bring this up because, with that in mind, doesn't it feel like Roderick was told at the beginning of the year to go out and have the best match on the card every night?

Pure conjecture, for sure, but if I'm right, what does that mean? I don't necessarily think this is true, but I bring it up for debate; shouldn't the goal of everyone in a workrate-heavy promotion like ROH be to have the best match they can every night? Or does that kind of booking get us to PWG?
I think they should have the best match they can, but withing the bounds of what their role is on the card. I think there should be a difference between main event matches and undercard matches. They should have a different feel and style to them. That doesn't mean an undercard match can't be the best match of the night, or that the wrestlers shouldn't try to steal the show, but at the same time they shouldn't be working the match like a main event (i.e. tons of nearfalls, extended finisher sequences, long drawn out drama, etc.)

I think in Roderick's case he is not doing to much different than he's been known to do for years. It's not like he's suddenly become a great wrestler. He's been a great wrestler for a long time. Everyone has ebbs and flows in their career and this is just another upswing for Strong.
In regards to my first paragraph, I think that Strong's tenure, accomplishments, and legit main event status gives him more leeway to wrestle more of a main event style on any nights compared to most of the roster. It is appropriate for him to do so, especially since he's usually featured in a marquee match.
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
JTGrasby wrote:
Definitely.

Wasn't there talk or rumors of them winding things down? Maybe thats wrong.
I heard that Jake had a really bad injury and was looking to retire, but since then he's turned heel with his brother and he's in the tournament of death this month ... not something you do if you have a serious injury going in.

So I have no idea what's going on with him!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Death Before Dishonor and the G1 are at the same time, it could be a problem with the ROH guys going there.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

While they'll probably lose one or two guys because of the G1, it'll also mean that New Japan's juniors are free to be used, so I could see them getting KUSHIDA and the Bucks, which should at least help soften the blow.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t know about the juniors, this G1 is different to other being that long and stuff. Let´s see how they book the cards for the tournament.
PiledrivingMissDaisy

Post by PiledrivingMissDaisy »

187_Joeism wrote:I don´t know about the juniors, this G1 is different to other being that long and stuff. Let´s see how they book the cards for the tournament.
We'll just have to wait and see.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Can you please stop just posting "We'll just have to wait and see" in every thread. It's literally not saying anything.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I highly doubt we're seeing the Bucks in the G1, and I think KUSHIDA being in there would be a long shot too. I expect Omega to be in there though.