Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:17 pm
Shanahan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:52 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:45 am I don’t think either of you can read because the entire point was I don’t care for the current ROH product because it has no direction. But sit there and play in each other’s grass. One day reading won’t be so hard.

When I pointed this out in March about no direction/stuff randomly thrown together you told me I was wrong, biased & how it was all coming together after the PPV. Most of us hit the nail on the head when we said it was ROH Dark. You can say you don’t like the direction now but you were extremely aggressive to anyone who showed an ounce of negativity back then.
If I remember correctly he said there was nothing wrong with it being aew dark because there was good matches on there
The good matches on Dark are not comparably good to the good-great matches on ROH right now. If you're going to put words in my mouth I suggest you think before you speak for me.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:51 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:47 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:26 am Roh has no direction which makes it hard to attract new viewers to pay extra money to watch when you already have lots of wrestling that's part of your cable bill or is free rather it's wwe aew or mlw
The stop talking about it and stop paying for it. It’s not rocket science.
I think others can agree you have friends in roh and have idea what roh should be that you go after anyone that thinks a different opinion on roh or what roh should do better
I indeed am fortunate enough to have friends who work for AEW, ROH, and WWE but that is not going to prevent me from thinking or speaking on the quality of those products or individual promos/matches. That includes telling the guy who main evented night 2 of Wrestlemania I think he's being booked to look like a goof.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

With AEW having longer loops on the road now with the addition of Collision I don't think it would be a terrible idea to run some live ROH episodes from smaller venues in the vicinity they're running.
AnHonorableMention

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:59 pm With AEW having longer loops on the road now with the addition of Collision I don't think it would be a terrible idea to run some live ROH episodes from smaller venues in the vicinity they're running.
They'll be in the standard sized arenas, in some cities the B arena since WWE cock blocks them from running NBA buildings in some cases (Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, LA, etc.). I'd assume live shows on Honor Club would be tough with Collision running right after live on TNT. Might be possible if they run in a Mountain or West Coast timezone.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I don't know if tony using roh to give chris hero a chance to see if he right for aew or he will stick with roh if he actually hired but hero was the guy on the headset for the roh taping last night
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:57 am I don't know if tony using roh to give chris hero a chance to see if he right for aew or he will stick with roh if he actually hired but hero was the guy on the headset for the roh taping last night
Anything to get Tony to book less is good with me. He's been running on empty for awhile now.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Mark is gonna win the world title & I don’t even care anymore. Unreal.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:58 pm Mark is gonna win the world title & I don’t even care anymore. Unreal.
It feels like a week ago; they were like.... hey we got a PPV coming up; who's going to challenge?? I can't believe Mark Briscoe has been the plan since April. He's won most all of his matches in ROH; but it's been against the likes of Ari Divari, Preston Vance in AEW, JD Drake, Anthony Henry, and Shane Taylor. Shane's probably his biggest win, and he's still relatively new in AEW/ROH. Mark's biggest angle has been in AEW being referee in the Jarrett/Lethal & FTR feud. He also beat Jeff Jarrett in AEW in a concession match. Doesn't scream world title challenger. To make it worse, They had Eddie Kingston mail in a video package telling Mark to challenge Claudio. WTF is that. Like wouldn't Mark Briscoe himself not want a title shot; why does Eddie need to tell him. Odd. Plus Mark's been on a journey for Joe and the TV title.

Maybe its some of the NJPW talent not being available for DBD, or a change behind the scenes or something casued a change in plans.

The lack of build it quite unbelievable , considering they just added a 2 hour paid TV show. To be fair, they really haven't built anyone else up... but at most Mark was a plan B as a title challenger. I have to imagine most of the rest of the card will be similar. Tony has a good track record with putting on strong PPV cards; so have to imagine the card will end up fine; but just lack a build/connection.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I wouldn't have Mark over. If he were to win it I'd save it for the Nov. 1 Dynamite. But I still think it's best to hold off changing the title until Kingston is back from G1, probably at All In. Wouldn't mind though Mark coming out of this into a bigger feud in AEW with a Moxley.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Reaper G wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:58 pm
Shanahan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:57 pm
GardenStateSaint wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:29 pm Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere but when and/or why did AEW discontinue releasing physical copies of PPV events? I can't believe the reason is holding out for a streaming service down the road when they can make some sort of money now and appease a good portion of the fanbase.
Yepp. Very annoying. I kept checking every week. Nothing.
I heard months ago that ROH would do this. Which sucks, because I really do prefer physical media.
Somebody tweet Tony Khan and tell him to do a two day pre-order. Whoever orders within those two days get a hard copy. Would this be so hard?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I know life gets hectic but this site has become more of a ghost town each month since tony khan took the company over
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:19 am I know life gets hectic but this site has become more of a ghost town each month since tony khan took the company over
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 am
classic-cabana wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 am
alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:23 pm ROH feels like it's like, this weird show that I watch by myself that nobody else is watching.
Been feeling like this recently. Non of my wrestling friends watch ROH, in the whatsapp groups I'm in, no ones talks about or is interested in it, despite my best efforts 😬

I'll tweet stuff, regularly during a live show but it just feels like I'm tweeting into the void. There's no real ROH community on twitter. Its tough going being a ROH fan right now.
I think this is it, it's hard to proud or excited as an ROH fan, generally we know what's going with contracts, all of Joey's stuff, it's turning fans away more than brining them, especially through the online community. If changes are made in personel and all the concussion, medical issues, female talent stuff is outwardly dealt with, and alot things start to come together then there will be an outward passion that will grow again. The fact is it's not 'cool' to be an ROH fan and that seems like a big deal for fans at the moment
And I thought it was bad towards the end of the SBG era. For all the promise when Khan initially purchased ROH and those first couple of PPVs, the tv absolutely sucks. To be fair all the ppvs have delivered but you're not going to keep a community alive on 3/4 ppvs a year.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

classic-cabana wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:50 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:19 am I know life gets hectic but this site has become more of a ghost town each month since tony khan took the company over
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 am
classic-cabana wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 am

Been feeling like this recently. Non of my wrestling friends watch ROH, in the whatsapp groups I'm in, no ones talks about or is interested in it, despite my best efforts 😬

I'll tweet stuff, regularly during a live show but it just feels like I'm tweeting into the void. There's no real ROH community on twitter. Its tough going being a ROH fan right now.
I think this is it, it's hard to proud or excited as an ROH fan, generally we know what's going with contracts, all of Joey's stuff, it's turning fans away more than brining them, especially through the online community. If changes are made in personel and all the concussion, medical issues, female talent stuff is outwardly dealt with, and alot things start to come together then there will be an outward passion that will grow again. The fact is it's not 'cool' to be an ROH fan and that seems like a big deal for fans at the moment
And I thought it was bad towards the end of the SBG era. For all the promise when Khan initially purchased ROH and those first couple of PPVs, the tv absolutely sucks. To be fair all the ppvs have delivered but you're not going to keep a community alive on 3/4 ppvs a year.
To be fair it's only been over a year since khan took it over yet the overall feeling with wrestling fans all over the web is the weekly product is boring and not worth paying for when all the show is another version of aew dark
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

The thing is - I’m not sure the stakeholders in this community are particularly relevant. Painful though that may be to someone like me, as one of the aforementioned stakeholders. With respect, if there was enough of us, or if that community were generating enough cash/interest/‘buzz’ then ROH would still be merrily owned by soul-crushingly corporate Sinclair and milked for every penny.

This forum is dead. And I agree, the quality of the Honor Club TV show is heartbreakingly disappointing - almost to the point where people’s only real defence is ‘well it’s better than Dark’. I think ultimately this new ROH venture will fail because people will quickly realise that the quality of the show simply isn’t worth the Honor Club subscription fee (particularly once you’ve got your fill of classic ROH footage) when there’s so much BETTER wrestling available for less monthly outlay - and Tony then decides it isn’t worth investing the amount of money it would need to run ROH as a genuine/profitable/high quality side-venture, consigning the ‘new ROH’ to history and the legacy of the company to being milked as a tape library for a bigger fish promotion (just like Vince’s WWECW).

BUT - as mentioned, this audience is not the target market. I had hoped lapsed ‘classic era’ ROH fans might be the market. But it’s clear that (perhaps motivated by failure to score a ‘proper’ TV deal) the aspirations for ROH are simply to capture spill-over AEW fans. ROH TV has replaced Dark and now functions in an almost identical fashion (with the occasional marquee match and a high quality quarterly PPV sprinkled in just enough to convince people they are getting a ‘premium’ product). And that business strategy has seen ROH get more social media chat, more asses in seats and create more ‘buzz’ than anything since the Elite exodus at the end of 2018. In short - the ‘new ROH’ is doing exactly what TK wants and fulfilling the exact role he wants it to. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don’t think it will last. As above, I think people will grow to resent paying a monthly fee for a glorified Dark (particularly once enough fans have had their fill of Joe/Kobashi, Joe/Punk 2, Cage Of Death, Bryan/Nigel Unification, Summer Of Punk and all the rest of the ‘aww yeah I love ROH, I bought a one DVD that one time’ matches) - and Honor Club sub numbers will start to drop steadily.

At which point Tony will face a choice between 1) investing in ROH and running it as a proper, NXT-style developmental fed (which would require financial investment whilst relinquishing at least some control of it). Or 2) calling it quits because he can run Dark tapings the exact same way, save some money on a few contracts, put Ian Riccaboni on an AEW show and he’ll do a better job than most of their existing announce team, and make just as much money releasing ROH merch/using the archive as a fillip for AEW’s inevitable entry into the streaming/VOD space.

I know which of those options I hope he picks (and why I’m hanging around). I know which one I think he’ll choose too. Unfortunately I don’t think they’re the same answer…
Montana

Post by Montana »

I know it's highly unlikely at this point; but to me; at this point just merge AEW & ROH. Collision should be something like AEW: Honor OR keep it as Collision with the ROH titles. Collision is much closer to the ROH product; and Dynamite wants to be more like a PWG/mixed style.

Rumor has it Warner wants more PPVs; well; there you go; Collision can build towards 4 , and Dynamite can build towards 4.

As soon as Collision started and Dark was dropped; the TK ROH changed to the dark format. I'd have to imagine most people probably have left the ship/subscription. Imagine there are still like 5K AEW die hards, who follow still.

It's kind of baffling, as TK seems to fairly care about the product. To have guys like Claudio/ Samoa Joe, Jericho / FTR / Lucha Bros as champions. Or has Tony just conceded to Warner, to not want anything to do with ROH. They are paying the bills / keeping the lights on; so TK clearly doesn't want to ruffle feathers.

Think the next pivotal point, is to find out what AEW: Plus is, which is the rumored AEW streaming service. Doesn't make sense to have a ROH & AEW streaming service. Maybe if that's like a full service product, at a reasonable price point; ROH could be revived in some fashion on it....However pretty clear what the priority is.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

The original All In is up for pre-order on ProWrestlingTees.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Know what I'd like to see for Final Battle? Ross & Marshall Von Erich get brought in to challenge for the tag titles with Kevin in their corner. Could introduce them into the Tony Khanverse of wrestling, be something special for the DFW fans, and be a good way to help promote the Iron Claw
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Impact Wrestling Producer and former Ring of Honor booker Hunter "Delirious" Johnston and former ROH star Mandy Leon were married on November 14th.

Among those in attendance were former ROH officials Joe Koff and Cary Silkin and Gary Juster, as well as Damian Priest, Cheeseburger, Ian Riccaboni, Mark Briscoe, Rhett Titus, Matt Taven, Danny Cage, Dalton Castle, Bobby Cruise, Vincent, Todd Sinclair, Maria Kanellis, Mike Bennett, Eli Isom, Will Ferrara, Amy Rose, Jenny Rose, Caprice Coleman and many others.

Brada

Post by Brada »

Where is Todd Sinclair these days?
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Did you know?

Throughout 2023 only twice we had ROH World Tag Team Championship Match in the ROH ring (Ladder Match at Supercard of Honor and 4-way tag team at Death Before Dishonor) :?