Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Zhuge1

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Zhuge1 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm He's easily more athletic than Fale if you mean just working "big man" matches.

Or did you mean he should actually join Bullet Club?

That could be interesting, actually. Have him around to interfere in Young Bucks/Page/Rhodes/Scurll matches.
It'll be interesting to see what the various members of the Rebellion end up doing. Hopefully King and Titus will continue as a tag team. One would suspect Taylor will get some sort of push as a singles wrestler at this point. Not sure where that leaves Coleman though.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Coleman should be a manager.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm
YimYac wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm
Where did this rumor even come from? Keith confirmed that he and Shane were both offered contracts at the same time because ROH wanted them as a tag team. Shane signed while Keith was promised a main event singles push by Gabe.
PWTorch said that Delirious thought that Taylor was more prepared for TV than Lee. Plus, I don't know why ROH did offer a singles contract to Lee, he's a star.
If that was the case why offer them BOTH contracts at the same time? Keith said they wanted to keep them as a team. It's clear they both work better as a team than singles.

Taylor was the promo guy that understood structure and Keith was the powerhouse that could also do cool flips. The best tag teams compliment each other.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

YimYac wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:40 pm
AlexROH wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm
YimYac wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm
Where did this rumor even come from? Keith confirmed that he and Shane were both offered contracts at the same time because ROH wanted them as a tag team. Shane signed while Keith was promised a main event singles push by Gabe.
PWTorch said that Delirious thought that Taylor was more prepared for TV than Lee. Plus, I don't know why ROH did offer a singles contract to Lee, he's a star.
If that was the case why offer them BOTH contracts at the same time? Keith said they wanted to keep them as a team. It's clear they both work better as a team than singles.

Taylor was the promo guy that understood structure and Keith was the powerhouse that could also do cool flips. The best tag teams compliment each other.
I'm sure you haven't seen Keith's singles work. I know ROH want then as a tag, but with all the peoole leaving, I don't know why Delirious didn't see the IT factor on Lee. He had a great run at Beyond and VIP Wrestling, but this year in EVOLVE? Awesome. He could have been an awesome monster main eventer in ROH. But eh, better bring a tag when everybody is saying that Keith is the star.

Taylor better promo Guy? Really? In PBK, EVERYBODY said that Lee was the better, both in ring and with promos, and Taylor was just "a fat Guy" who destroys people.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Will we ever see Colt Cabana back as a wrestler? Now that there's a lack of talent, Colt would be great for mod/uppercard. I loved his work last year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think it was pretty obvious that Lee wanted to maximise his presence as it was then, especially as a singles star and you can't fault him for that considering his talent.. I don't think you could hold it against ROH for wanting to keep PBK as a tag team considering what they could have done in the tag devision. I'm sure a singles run would have been afforded to Lee at a later point but many wrestlers now want to get as far as they can as quickly as they can it's just the way wrestling is now. ROH for better or worse wants you to "pay your dues" It seems quite often, and also too much as times, especially when they do it on TV.

Personally I think Taylor can emote the better emotion and create a better attachment with his promo work, unfortunately right now his work doesn't back it up but it's getting there. Lee is ok but his in ring work puts a shine over everything that I think people can be a bit blinded on everything else. Lee does have great expressions although it is wairing a bit and he needs to find something more from himself.

With regards to Taylor I can see something happening Martinez at some point, Maybe Gresham, and if Kenny is still around, it wouldn't surprise me if Kenny became TV champ and we saw something with Kenny and Taylor at some point if not a whole thing with all four of the Rebellion and the TV title.

With Colt I think it think will all depend on how he feels about commentating and with BJ sliding in at BITW how ROH felt about the combo there. I could certainly see Cabana coming back now that Castle has a title (it's something i felt they have done well with Cabana on commentating is keeping his dislike for Castle and the boys going). It would be interesting to see who his partners would be.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:17 am I think it was pretty obvious that Lee wanted to maximise his presence as it was then, especially as a singles star and you can't fault him for that considering his talent.. I don't think you could hold it against ROH for wanting to keep PBK as a tag team considering what they could have done in the tag devision. I'm sure a singles run would have been afforded to Lee at a later point but many wrestlers now want to get as far as they can as quickly as they can it's just the way wrestling is now. ROH for better or worse wants you to "pay your dues" It seems quite often, and also too much as times, especially when they do it on TV.

Personally I think Taylor can emote the better emotion and create a better attachment with his promo work, unfortunately right now his work doesn't back it up but it's getting there. Lee is ok but his in ring work puts a shine over everything that I think people can be a bit blinded on everything else. Lee does have great expressions although it is wairing a bit and he needs to find something more from himself.

With regards to Taylor I can see something happening Martinez at some point, Maybe Gresham, and if Kenny is still around, it wouldn't surprise me if Kenny became TV champ and we saw something with Kenny and Taylor at some point if not a whole thing with all four of the Rebellion and the TV title.

With Colt I think it think will all depend on how he feels about commentating and with BJ sliding in at BITW how ROH felt about the combo there. I could certainly see Cabana coming back now that Castle has a title (it's something i felt they have done well with Cabana on commentating is keeping his dislike for Castle and the boys going). It would be interesting to see who his partners would be.
Normally I let a difference of opinion slide, but I just don’t see any means of possible of equivalence being made between Lee and Taylor—the former being a star and the latter a multi-year project. Even though Taylor works incredibly hard, he is just too heavy to wrestle workrate-driven matches. More, comparing charisma and crowd connectivity between the two leaves no room for debate. If Lee & Taylor as a tag team were a mistake, it’s only revealed through hindsight in Keith Lee departing for better opportunities. Lee & Taylor were put in one of my favorite feuds last year against War Machine, and generally seemed to be groomed for top programs. They looked like new guys that were inevitably going to break out in a major way in the company. It was great.

I really enjoy Cabana, but what’s the point of even bringing him in anymore? Looking at where he was at War of the Worlds to Final Battle from last year shows how little ROH thinks to protect their former main eventers; his stock has been incredibly shrunken. ROH has basically told us that he’s a lower card guy.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I am not denying there is a better connection with the crowd with Lee, but I think that comes down more to his match quality than the overall idea of his charachter. Personally if he didn't have his match level I don't think he would be that much of anything. From what I have seen and it's a small sample but to me Taylor delivers more through his mic skills and his ever developing use of the fans and camera work than Lee has done so far. There is a lot of room for growth with Taylor and that's important with Lee i think it can be easy to typecast him and it could be hard for him to move away. I want to say Lee is an amazing talent and ROH is worse off for it, but i think there needs to be a balance where fans react to this stuff, it's the fact that you even look at someone based on work rate matches, wrestling isn't always about work rate matches there should be more to wrestling than that.

To be honest Cabana has said many times he doesn't want to sign a contract and he likes his free agency and with that i imagine for ROH there will be a limited opportunity to grow because of simple risk for the company. Although it does seem ROH has loosened up on that area and more could well be done with unsigned talent.

Also why let a difference of opinion slide if you don't there is not discourse it forums just become boring or much of the time like this place a simple bitch fest of look me i'm funny and criticising the product.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 am Will we ever see Colt Cabana back as a wrestler? Now that there's a lack of talent, Colt would be great for mod/uppercard. I loved his work last year.
Agreed. Brutal Bob or BJ Whitmer could do commentary (I've read BJ may be taking it on soon, but I'd prefer Brutal Bob).

Colt should get back in the ring.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm Coleman should be a manager.
He would be a good manager, but they could easily use him in-ring for something.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Coleman always entertains me in the ring. It would be a waste to have him be a manager; he's still in shape and he has more to give out there. His promo work is pretty feast or famine, but at least he fully commits to whatever he's doing.

Those flipping northern lights suplexes he does are still so damn smooth.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I would have said yes to Coleman as a manager in 2015, but in this run with The Cabinet/Rebellion he has turned himself into an irredeemable joke.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Caprice is HILARIOUS live. Not sure it comes across like that on tv/PPV, but live, he REALLY sticks out because of how funny he is. He's naturally a really funny guy. He banters back and forth with the crowd constantly, being that perfect mix of funny guy/annoying heel. It really adds a lot to the live show, in-person. I could understand people not liking him because he seems like an unnecessary on-screen character or something when he's on PPVs/tv. But if you've never seen him work at one of the shows from in the first few rows, and you've never watched how funny his reactions to everything are, you probably don't really "get it". I definitely think he's important to the company.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm Caprice is HILARIOUS live. Not sure it comes across like that on tv/PPV, but live, he REALLY sticks out because of how funny he is. He's naturally a really funny guy. He banters back and forth with the crowd constantly, being that perfect mix of funny guy/annoying heel. It really adds a lot to the live show, in-person. I could understand people not liking him because he seems like an unnecessary on-screen character or something when he's on PPVs/tv. But if you've never seen him work at one of the shows from in the first few rows, and you've never watched how funny his reactions to everything are, you probably don't really "get it". I definitely think he's important to the company.
He's taken some things too over the top. The whole "jive turkey" thing is just so dumb, both the insult itself (it's not the 1970s) and the way he builds up to it in his body language. It's too over the top. It's like the Bucks screaming "suck it!" in a high-pitched voice and doing crotch chops the entire way across the ring to hit a gut in the corner with a move. It comes across like it's very clearly a "spot designed to get a pop" rather than something that a normal person would do in that situation. I don't mind guys jawing with the crowd. I loved Sweeney and Nana, but Caprice has become too much of a joke for ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

let anx in the tag team scene again and put caprice as a mouthpiece for shane taylor.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The jive turkey thing is funny if you ask me. The shuffle was too much though.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I've worked shows with Coleman before.

He's tight with the Hardy's and rode with Matt to a show.

He was quiet backstage.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Kenny Omega had absolutely no problem taking care of his visa issues for the NJPW show. I would like to think this would mean more appearances in ROH on U.S. soil...but I doubt it.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

He said in the press conference before the G1 Special that his visa stuff and that he would enjoy doing more ROH and PWG Shows.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

ROHs roster is hurting.

They could use Omega and they're damn near to the point that they could use Chase Owens.