Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wavelet Transform

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wavelet Transform »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 am that ogk win was so emmotional..2 roh guys that love the company, not the 2 best wrestlers in the world but two of the most loyal roh guys ever.
Have enjoyed the OGK's matches; Bennett's really improved in-ring and they've got good tag offense. However, couldn't help but feel OGK winning the belts is ROH repeating their past mistakes. Taking the belts off of two guys with more talent and buzz (esp. in Dragon Lee's case) seems like a bad call. Briscoes winning the tag belts at FB is the obvious choice and beating LFI seems like the happier ending. I'd be happy with the Briscoes beating OGK in a an epic, long match at FB, but if OGK wins, ROH will (rightly) get a lot of flak.

For as good in-ring as Taven/Bennett have been, they have no buzz/star power/charisma outside of the ring. Bennett's terribly miscast as a face as AHM mentioned and Taven needs a Jericho-like reinvention into something 100% different than what he is now. The look (those stupid basketball shoes under kickpads), the catchphrases, etc... all need to go.
Wavelet Transform

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:14 pm The lone fault in the show is the same fault ROH has mostly had during Covid and that's the lack of crowd. Say what you want about ROH fans, especially the ones of the current day who really have no idea what they missed but they make noise, and they react when given something to feed off of.
I've grown to enjoy no crowds. No smarmy chants from fans trying to get attention, no disappointment at the crowd not being up for great technical wrestling, no meme chants (like "budge"), etc.... I'd love for ROH to have an atmosphere like Punk/Kingston, but they don't have a match with that interest level. Plus, the nitwits are more noticeable with the smaller crowds that ROH draws. Ian and esp. Caprice know how to turn it up in the right moments with their commentary and the way they tell the story of the match has made up for the lack of crowds.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I think main reason for tag titles being dropped by LFI is so they can do tag title match,shane/king and dragon lee defending tv title. LFI doing double duty would of been lame and took up too much space on last card. I haven't watched anything ROH related since the announcement of it ending but i will binge it all before Final Battle. Also sucks that we don't get Lethal or Dickinson on show but let's hope we get something like King/Deppen vs Rhett/Williams.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Personally I’m way more invested in the OGK with the belts than I ever ease with Lee and King. I have my issues with Taven (mainly the gloves) but him and Bennett are a pair I felt really had something before everything happened to them as a pair. I would be far more into the OGK touring (if that can happen) with the tag belts than say the Briscoes which I’ve just had my fill of as tag champs.

If ROH isn’t closing for good and the titles will essentially tour across the independent scene it could be one the best things to happen to the company really.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:14 pm The lone fault in the show is the same fault ROH has mostly had during Covid and that's the lack of crowd. Say what you want about ROH fans, especially the ones of the current day who really have no idea what they missed but they make noise, and they react when given something to feed off of.
I've grown to enjoy no crowds. No smarmy chants from fans trying to get attention, no disappointment at the crowd not being up for great technical wrestling, no meme chants (like "budge"), etc.... I'd love for ROH to have an atmosphere like Punk/Kingston, but they don't have a match with that interest level. Plus, the nitwits are more noticeable with the smaller crowds that ROH draws. Ian and esp. Caprice know how to turn it up in the right moments with their commentary and the way they tell the story of the match has made up for the lack of crowds.

What you described about Roh crowds is applicable to all wrestling crowds in the states. But they IMO are a necessary evil to the pro wrestling dynamic.
Captain Podcast
DougN

Post by DougN »

I've actually enjoyed most, if not all, of the no crowd shows for a variety of reasons, most due to the great presentation and the difference in style. But I also understand that I am in the vast, vast, VAST minority and that it is NOT a formula for a successful or profitable company.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Wavelet Transform

DougN wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:35 am I've actually enjoyed most, if not all, of the no crowd shows for a variety of reasons, most due to the great presentation and the difference in style. But I also understand that I am in the vast, vast, VAST minority and that it is NOT a formula for a successful or profitable company.
Yeah totally. I really enjoy the current, Evolve-with-better-production-values product, but it's very niche and not a good approach for a nationally televised company.
Montana

Post by Montana »

For me; typically the no crowd thing doesn't bother me.

Honor for All; was kind of the opposite. Not sure if it was the somber vibe; or knowing the company may not come back; but the lack of crowd here felt depressing.

I'm not sure if for TV they maybe film it differently; or spend more time in the ring; so it's less noticeable too.
AnHonorableMention

https://www.pwinsiderelite.com/article. ... 153013&p=1

Unintentionally, the hardest I've laughed in weeks. The show that truly began the slant into flat and confusing in the Hunter Johnston era.
Captain Podcast
DougN

Post by DougN »

Can't see it.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

DougN wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 pmCan't see it.
I’ll be at the non pay link…

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/15301 ... d.html?p=1
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Thinking this ROH reboot may have a positive side...

With all this experienced uncontracted talent around floating, Ring Of Honor has a chance of reestablishing itself as an Independent SuperLeague of Pro-Wrestling.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Wavelet Transform

tigermask7.0 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm Thinking this ROH reboot may have a positive side...

With all this experienced uncontracted talent around floating, Ring Of Honor has a chance of reestablishing itself as an Independent SuperLeague of Pro-Wrestling.
Tony can't sign them all! There's tons of great talent out there and the talent sharing that's happening in multiple promotions could really help ROH too.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Pwinsider did a interview with gresham to talk about new promotion and it sounds like he thinks roh is going under
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Earlier this week, PWInsider.com sat down with Jonathan Gresham and Baron Black to discuss a number of topics surrounding the creation of their new professional wrestling promotion TERMINUS: Modern Grappling Arts, which will commence with its debut event on 1/16/22 in Atlanta, GA. Here are some highlights from the conversation:

WHAT LED TO THE CREATION OF THE PROMOTION:

Baron Black: "What led to this promotion, a lot of people don't realize or they just don't know, but me and Jon actually came up training together at a training facility in Atlanta about a decade ago, or a little bit more than that. The old WWA4 facility. So we've been close friends for a very long time now and this is something we talked about doing something. We were just like, "Hey, one day we're going to get together, we're going to throw a big show." And it took a long time, but we're finally here and we're finally doing it."

Jonathan Gresham: "That's pretty much how it was. We would always talk about how we would go to shows and things were done a certain way. We didn't necessarily agree with how things were done and we would talk about how we would do things on car rides back and to shows or whatever like that. So I don't know it's just kind of funny how things kind of came to play out. We were actually planning this long before the announcing the Ring of Honor going under. It seems like a lot of people that are picking up the story are pretty much kind of saying I'm doing this because Ring of Honor is dissolving possibly. But that is not the case, this was already in the works months before. To be honest and transparent we actually had the plan of running November 14th, this past weekend, but I was of course booked on a New Japan Strong event, so it kind of made things difficult to work with here in Atlanta. So we decided to move it to January 16th. But as far as the press release goes, the first video we put out yesterday, I am just taken aback by the amount of people that shared it and spoke highly about it. People like Chris Jericho and Seth Rollins had things to say and retweeted. The support that's shown by the wrestling community yesterday towards this project was just heartwarming for me. I'm really thankful for it and just excited about what's next for us
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:15 am Pwinsider did a interview with gresham to talk about new promotion and it sounds like he thinks roh is going under
He don't say that.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:51 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:15 am Pwinsider did a interview with gresham to talk about new promotion and it sounds like he thinks roh is going under
He don't say that.
We were actually planning this long before the announcing the Ring of Honor going under
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm
DougN wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:35 am I've actually enjoyed most, if not all, of the no crowd shows for a variety of reasons, most due to the great presentation and the difference in style. But I also understand that I am in the vast, vast, VAST minority and that it is NOT a formula for a successful or profitable company.
Yeah totally. I really enjoy the current, Evolve-with-better-production-values product, but it's very niche and not a good approach for a nationally televised company.
The booking and storytelling and character development in EVOLVE was MILES beyond ROH over the past few years.

Just saying.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 am
Wavelet Transform wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm
The booking and storytelling and character development in EVOLVE was MILES beyond ROH over the past few years.

Just saying.
BRM is 100% correct. Then again, that’s what you get when you have a proper booker…