Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wilson »

I know this won't come across great with the "Ring of Honor needs to protect their brand" wonks, but the ROH that comes in to support whatever strange shindie throwback/memorial card is the ROH I want. I would be overcome with happiness with either Rock N Roll vs Nagata/Kojima or PCO/Brody.

(Side note, Flip getting incorporated into Lifeblood would bum me the hell out.)
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm I know this won't come across great with the "Ring of Honor needs to protect their brand" wonks, but the ROH that comes in to support whatever strange shindie throwback/memorial card is the ROH I want. I would be overcome with happiness with either Rock N Roll vs Nagata/Kojima or PCO/Brody.

(Side note, Flip getting incorporated into Lifeblood would bum me the hell out.)
They may feel they need for someone else after Finlay was injured, it’s also the mutual respect thing as Life Blood helped Flip out during the whole Bully Ray stuff. It probably isn’t a long term thing but baby faces siding with baby faces is the right thing to do.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Who are Wild Card?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:05 am
Wilson wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm I know this won't come across great with the "Ring of Honor needs to protect their brand" wonks, but the ROH that comes in to support whatever strange shindie throwback/memorial card is the ROH I want. I would be overcome with happiness with either Rock N Roll vs Nagata/Kojima or PCO/Brody.

They may feel they need someone else after Finlay was injured, it’s also the mutual respect thing as Life Blood helped Flip out during the holly Bully Ray stuff. It probably isn’t a long term thing but baby faces siding with baby faces is the right thing to do.
This being announced as a follow-up to the Bully Ray challenge makes it seem an awful lot like a soft incorporation of Flip into Lifeblood. This upsets me because no wrestler clearly would want to befriend Flip Gordon.
dhads7161 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:59 am Who are Wild Card?
Not enough room on that bracket spot to include "Winner of the Wild Card Battle Royal" that's taking place earlier in the night.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:37 amThis being announced as a follow-up to the Bully Ray challenge makes it seem an awful lot like a soft incorporation of Flip into Lifeblood. This upsets me because no wrestler clearly would want to befriend Flip Gordon.
But Life Blood did befreind him, to me it all ties in with what Life Blood want for ROH as does Flip, it's not like Cabanna hasn't helped out Flip previously Flip just needed more and who else credible is there really within ROH at the moment to partner Flip that would a cool choice, i.e. Bandido. Unless Flip brought someone in from the outside what they are doing for me makes sense even it if is a bit samey
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

MLW just landed a UK TV deal.
Impact is still on TV there too.

So how in the hell doesn't ROH have television there? They have TV in Portugal and India but not English language countries like the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa?

How the hell is that?

The US TV partner for MLW averages less than 7,000 viewers in prime time and they can land a UK deal but ROH can't?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I don't think roh even tries but I was listening to bully ray and he was saying he pushing roh and sinclair to grow the brand because after msg roh is not just going to exist in its only little world anymore
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

– PWInsider has an update on the angle for the former Beautiful People, now called The Allure, in ROH. Per the report, the original plan for their debut was to attack Madison Rayne and lay her out. However, Rayne was released from ROH and was unhappy with what the creative team had for her.

– Also, PWInsider reports that the fan who was hit with a ladder at G1 Supercard was taken to meet several wrestlers, including Matt Taven and Kazuchika Okada. He was also reportedly given some merchandise before he left the venue. The ladder is said to have hit his knee, but he’s apparently OK.

Another note on the G1 Supercard is that former ROH talents Julius Smokes and Sal Rinauro were both at the event.

– Additionally, PWInsider reports that Kevin Eck and Joey Matthews have been more involved in working with the creative team of late for ROH. They have joined the creative team that consists of Delirious, Todd Sinclair and Bully Ray.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am
Another note on the G1 Supercard is that former ROH talents Julius Smokes and Sal Rinauro were both at the event.
Julius was near BurningHammer during the event, would have love to hang out a little with him, PRRRAAAA!! hahah
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Fightful said it's going to run a report about roh soon and said there are major shifts going and changes going on backstage
Montana

Post by Montana »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm Fightful said it's going to run a report about roh soon and said there are major shifts going and changes going on backstage
Wouldn't that be: " Additionally, PWInsider reports that Kevin Eck and Joey Matthews have been more involved in working with the creative team of late for ROH. They have joined the creative team that consists of Delirious, Todd Sinclair and Bully Ray."???
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

What I'm getting from all reports sinclair is making more involved in the decision making which probably means sinclair spending more money
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Fellas, what we got ourselves here is a good ol' fashioned booking committee.

I can't wait for the inner drama.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 am
monster mafia wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am
Julius was near BurningHammer during the event, would have love to hang out a little with him, PRRRAAAA!! hahah
He certainly was, he made mention of Lethal looking like an Egg and Shane Taylor had a wide load. I don't know if he was playing up to his charachter but he was pretty much what you see is what you get.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Oh please no

I'd rather watch Cheeseburger vs Brian Milonas in every match
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:31 am Oh please no

I'd rather watch Cheeseburger vs Brian Milonas in every match
If it pushes that sort of talent out of the way i'm ok that with, regardless of my feelings on Cass and Enzo (who are the last thing I want to see in ROH) I would be far more invested in a match with them and Bricoes God etc than anything the Milonas or Cheeseburger has and will ever do.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I have never enjoyed anything Enzo has ever done. Not it any amount. As a wrestler, on the mic, as a human, all of the above.

I'd rather watch WCW 2000.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:55 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 am I think roh thinking is we need people talking about roh instead aew and putting on thirty minute or more good wrestling matches is only going to take you so far specially with aew and others trying to build their brands up Roh doesn't want to get lost in the conversation
You can see top level work rate from many indy promotions now. It's not something ROH can lean on to stand out like 10/15 years ago. Now what the answer is to stand out is a question I don't have an answer to. I doubt the answer is Enzo and Cass invading but I will say I respect them trying something different.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The way to stand out is by combining that top-notch work-rate with great stories and a sports-like atmosphere that has been pretty darn absent from pro wrestling. Take an EVOLVE or NJPW-like "sports" feel and adherence to the rules of pro wrestling, but combine it with adherence to simple rules outside of the ring that make the consequences to matches obvious. Make beating a champion always lead to a title shot and institute something like CHIKARA's 3 Points system or even something like the old Pick-6. This will make non-feud matches inherently meaningful, and could even add a bit more meaning to feud-matches when you feel it would help the feud to focus on such things.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'd be happier with this sort of thing if it was ROH doing it on it's own. Being part of a clearly inferior partner's nostalgia show is a bad look. Running your own show using those historical connections can be a good one.