Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
SweetDaddy

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by SweetDaddy »

Agreed.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Just thinking of how Adam Page joining BC just came out of nowhere last year. What a change for the dude, going from indy bookings in the states to flying out to Japan every month. Heck he never even did a Japan tour before that did he? Qnd he doesn't even look out of place. Shows how underrated he is adapting right from the start to that drastic of a change.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I agree with you. I think some people seem to be a bit critical of Page. I think he has done fairly well to this point in his new found aggressive role.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

In a move that really paid off, Nigel will be replacing Corey Graves on commentary at NXT while the latter moves solely to Raw and 205 Live, so congratulations to him!
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I wouldn't be surprised if WWE offered Kevin Kelly something in the next couple of years. They got a lot of good color guys but other than Mauro and Cole, they struggle for play-by-plays, and Triple H will most likely just do it for the lulz.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if WWE offered Kevin Kelly something in the next couple of years. They got a lot of good color guys but other than Mauro and Cole, they struggle for play-by-plays, and Triple H will most likely just do it for the lulz.

triple h are gonna put cheseeburger in this years cwc
Brada

Post by Brada »

now that would be some funny crap, and just to toy with ROH, call him Chicken Nugget.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:I agree with you. I think some people seem to be a bit critical of Page. I think he has done fairly well to this point in his new found aggressive role.
I don't think it's Page people are critical of so much as the booking decisions ROH has made regarding him. Making him the 5th banana in Bullet Club has not done him any favors (which has only been hurt by the fact that whenever Cole and Bucks do promos together, they don't even let Page stand in the background). He comes off as the ROH version of Yujiro... and this is coming from someone who likes Yujiro. There is just the sense that he has been slotted as the designated fall-boy who is only in the stable so that Cole, the Bucks, Omega, Fale, etc. don't have to do the jobs.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Good point Big Red. It would be better if ROH would make him more credible by at least a little 50/50 booking and giving him worthy wins.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if WWE offered Kevin Kelly something in the next couple of years. They got a lot of good color guys but other than Mauro and Cole, they struggle for play-by-plays, and Triple H will most likely just do it for the lulz.
I think Kevin Kelly is one of the best in the world right now, especially evident when you compare him and Corino versus Jr and Barnett's call of WK.

It would not surprise me if Kelly ended up back in WWE in a few years if not as the English NJPW guy. Seems like Ian Riccaboni might be being groomed for Kelly's role somewhere down the line. Which brings me to the next topic - it wasn't so long ago where there were PBP men all over the place and now we're down to only a few left in the WWE system, Josh Matthews and Jeremy Borash in TNA, Kelly and Riccaboni in ROH, and Lenny Leonard in Evolve. What's kind of nuts about this is that during the big Indy DVD boom of 05 to 12ish, there seemed to be dozens more.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

And as a quick side note - as obvious by my user name, I only became a pretty hardcore fan around the time of HD Net. On the topic of broadcasters, with all due respect to Dave Prazak who I realize I omitted above, Lenny Leonard really was the first truly good broadcaster ever ROH had. I only recently discovered this after buying a number of compilations during the sale and getting to hear him for the first time.
rovert

Post by rovert »

He barely passed WWE cosmetic standards 15 years ago for on air personalities. So I doubt it.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

rovert wrote:
He barely passed WWE cosmetic standards 15 years ago for on air personalities. So I doubt it.
Corey Graves is a very handsome man
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

TYFDK wrote:In a move that really paid off, Nigel will be replacing Corey Graves on commentary at NXT while the latter moves solely to Raw and 205 Live, so congratulations to him!
Awesome to hear. I think it was time to take Corey Graves off of NXT, since it seemed like he was being spread too thin with NXT, RAW, & 205 Live. Nigel McGuinness did a great job during the UK Tournament, so he totally deserves this spot.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Will definitely be a different dynamic with MCGuinness and Watson together. I feel like the presentation is more captivating with a face/heel color blend.

Time will tell.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

WWE is short on PBP guys, it baffling that they let Rich Brennan go when Ranallo came in. I thought he was pretty good. Another PBP guy out there I find underrated is Joe Dombrowski. Then that dude from AXS Fights who called called an episode of Lucha Underground Mike Schivallo he would be a great steal for a wrestling company.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote:WWE is short on PBP guys, it baffling that they let Rich Brennan go when Ranallo came in. I thought he was pretty good. Another PBP guy out there I find underrated is Joe Dombrowski. Then that dude from AXS Fights who called called an episode of Lucha Underground Mike Schivallo he would be a great steal for a wrestling company.
Definitely agree about Schivallo. I remember being extremely impressed with him. As for Dombrowski, I like him, but I've never seen him as a PBP guy. Granted, my experience with him is limited to ROH, but I liked how his commentary felt different from everyone else's because he seems very focused on statistics. I've always seen him more as that Mike Tenay in WCW third guy in the booth who only talks when he has something in his specialty to contribute.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Kevin Kelly is now a full time Sinclair employee . Which is a good gig for a man his age. Kevin will be able to work for SBGI long term , so he will have benefits and a retirement plan. Plus , Kelly has already worked for the McMahons , so he know what the deal is at the WWE . Almost everyone that is not family is hired to be fired.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

A 2 Disk DVD for SOTF is now available! 20 bucks for 2 shows basically is a good deal. Gonna pick that up in the coming days

http://rohwrestling.com/product/110316- ... -dvd-texas