Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

WHG wrote:Speaking of rings, their primary ring is in pretty sad shape. The posts specifically are almost distracting in person they're so beaten up and it sags pretty noticeably.

What was the story on what happened the 20ft ring with the silver posts and red ropes they were using in the Cornette era? I remember Cornette saying that Danny Davis in Louisville built it for them...but they suddenly stopped using it in 2013 and I don't remember if that was ever explained.
I liked that ring, ropes looked loose to me though. Maybe they felt it was too big for ROH or something I don't know. And yeah time to get one or two new rings they can take on the road with them. And a new ring skirt that ring skirt was made for that Cornette ring, it's too big for the rings they use.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

On the Strong/Tanahashi match there was one point where Roddy hit a sequence of running knee, elbow, superplex, gutbuster and then sick kick that was a pretty damn great near fall. It was funny how Kelly and Corino seemingly started to mark out for real at that part haha.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Cheeseburger is really that kid from your class that nobody really hates, but everyone thinks he's pretty annoying (but not because he's trying to be annoying, but because he's just a dork and doesn't have any sense of humor, but desperately tries to be funny all the time), and he doesn't really have any friends, and everybody is always irritating him, because he'll react with trying to diss you, but he's really bad at it, and usually doesn't really come any further than 'your mom', but because the entire class always goes crazy after it, he thinks his disses are actually really good, and he only looks like an even bigger dork because of it
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Be a star Jordidebaas.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

ROH needs a tag team in the vain of the Fabulous ones

They could even team up with Dalton.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

jordidebaas wrote:Cheeseburger is really that kid from your class that nobody really hates, but everyone thinks he's pretty annoying (but not because he's trying to be annoying, but because he's just a dork and doesn't have any sense of humor, but desperately tries to be funny all the time), and he doesn't really have any friends, and everybody is always irritating him, because he'll react with trying to diss you, but he's really bad at it, and usually doesn't really come any further than 'your mom', but because the entire class always goes crazy after it, he thinks his disses are actually really good, and he only looks like an even bigger dork because of it
Cheeseburger is like when Bart Simpson was the "I Didn't Do It" Boy.

Except that in this case instead of kicking him out the back door of the studio once the novelty was gone after a few weeks of amusement, Krusty kept him on television for for three years.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Uh-huh. He was fun for maybe the first few appearances, but has absolutely no business being on cable TV in any capacity. He seems nice enough, and hey, if you want to throw him a bone and have him in the opener of some house shows. But he should NEVER be on the TV show again.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The problem is that'd be fine if they wrote something new for him. What has actually changed about him since Charlie Haas called him Cheeseburger? He learned a move from Liger. That's it.

He's turned into Grizzly Redwood where the character starts off as a good joke then eventually they start booking his matches seriously even though the in-ring talent isn't there. Meanwhile, if anyone else remembers, CHIKARA is booking him as a really entertaining comedy heel and is getting over, unlike in ROH.

Bobby Dempsey is another example of ROH having nothing once the joke's over.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

This title vs title match with one person leaving with both belts is so awesome. Not just for the significant moment, but because the amount of really good, high potential scenarios coming out of it is almost endless. And no one here can seem to agree on what's going to happen or how it will be handled, who the contenders are fore each belt, etc.
This amount of exciting unpredictability even when the angle is so straightforward is really rare, and also really fun.
Keith_from_MN

Post by Keith_from_MN »

Marketh. wrote:The problem is that'd be fine if they wrote something new for him. What has actually changed about him since Charlie Haas called him Cheeseburger? He learned a move from Liger. That's it.

He's turned into Grizzly Redwood where the character starts off as a good joke then eventually they start booking his matches seriously even though the in-ring talent isn't there. Meanwhile, if anyone else remembers, CHIKARA is booking him as a really entertaining comedy heel and is getting over, unlike in ROH.

Bobby Dempsey is another example of ROH having nothing once the joke's over.
I feel the same way about Romantic Touch.
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

When/If Whitmer and Corino have a one on one match, how would you all feel about it being a no-rope barbed wire match?

If I'm correct, they've only done two in the history of the company: Homicide and Corino, Whitmer and Butcher. Putting Corino and Whitmer in one together makes sense to me as they have a personal enough rivalry to make such a match work and they've got experience in that type of match. I'm not sure how much Corino has left in the tank, either, so a match like this might be able to hide some of his weaknesses.

Could be a big match for Final Battle.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I very much doubt we'll ever seen a no-rope barbed wire match ever again in ROH
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

JTGrasby wrote:When/If Whitmer and Corino have a one on one match, how would you all feel about it being a no-rope barbed wire match?
I would feel terrible about it, as I do at the prospect of most Steve Corino garbage matches.

Fortunately this match won't happen in the Sinclair Era for many reasons. One of which is that they no longer do blood.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Let’s just have Kelly call the show by himself to compliment the outrageousness of having Corino/Whitmer in a barb-wire match only weeks removed from 2016.

“Wait—what is Colby Corino doing here… and WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON?”
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

I think there is a good chance at Final Battle we'll see Steve Corino vs Colby Corino. It would be really cool in the ECW arena to see Steve wrestle his son there.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I think some form of Steve Corino vs. Whitmer/Colby would be interesting as a free television event.

This entire story runs years and years back now—Steen turned on Generico, Steen was fired and in turn was driven to dismantle the company, SCUM was born, which would later sow the most subtle seeds for Corino and Whitmer, a prodigious interim period passes where the two show heat for very vague reasons, and finally Colby joins The Decade. To have this jumbled mess actually make it to Final Battle would be the most serpentine, convoluted, desperate workaround ever witnessed in the company. It’s the most tragic A to B to C that I can even imagine.
Spoiler: show
I might have just accidently convinced myself that it should definitely happen.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I'm sure that on some level Corino probably considers this a huge multi-year epic of an angle drawing on REAL LIFE SHOOT ~~!! ISSUES~!!

But I think it's a stretch to say that the current Corino/Whitmer feud has anything at all to do with Steen/Generico or really even SCUM.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The problem I have with this feud is that if someone asks you what it's about, your answer would be "BJ recruited Corino's own son as a Young Boy and is verbally and physically abusing him". The person asks, "Ok, but that started fairly recently, I thought this had been going on for nearly 2 years?" "It has." "So what happened before that?" "Nothing really. Corino just said some shit."
Last Real Man Hype
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Burnside wrote:But I think it's a stretch to say that the current Corino/Whitmer feud has anything at all to do with Steen/Generico or really even SCUM.
Maybe I am confabulating things, but I remember that there was an early uneasiness between Corino (when he first became commentator) and Whitmer that was pinned on the breakup of SCUM and Corino’s affectatious change of heart. That narrative was so vague that it's very, very possible that some I misinterpreted/misremembered some things along the way.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

You know, I started watching ROH just a bit before Final Battle 2013 so I didn't know better, but until I read someone posting about it here I was certain Corino legitimately hated Whitmer lol.