Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 am

- Shelley: he's still only 34; give him an honest push and see how far it goes
Wow. I did not realize he was still this young.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Kitamura taking the TV Title and wrecking everyone who challenges him for it, and threatening to take the belt to Japan and never bring it back, sounds like an awesome storyline. All in on that.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 am Kitamura taking the TV Title and wrecking everyone who challenges him for it, and threatening to take the belt to Japan and never bring it back, sounds like an awesome storyline. All in on that.
Would be all about this
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Big Red Machine

I don't get why people are so hi on Kitamura. He doesn't come across to me as better than any other young boy. Now Kawato on the other hand...
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 am I don't get why people are so hi on Kitamura. He doesn't come across to me as better than any other young boy. Now Kawato on the other hand...
This is just my perspective but he's different from any Young Lion I've seen since I started watching NJPW, most of them are kinda on the smaller side and they usually are really technically proficient, like a Kawato is now or Tanaka and Komatsu before them, but Kitamura is different since he's a big jacked up dude. And the way they book him where he runs through people ala Goldberg is also unique. He's not a better wrestler than a Kawato or an Oka but he has an incredibly unique presence. And it helps since he's 32 now and NJPW wants to fast track him to the big leagues
Big Red Machine

King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 am I don't get why people are so hi on Kitamura. He doesn't come across to me as better than any other young boy. Now Kawato on the other hand...
This is just my perspective but he's different from any Young Lion I've seen since I started watching NJPW, most of them are kinda on the smaller side and they usually are really technically proficient, like a Kawato is now or Tanaka and Komatsu before them, but Kitamura is different since he's a big jacked up dude. And the way they book him where he runs through people ala Goldberg is also unique. He's not a better wrestler than a Kawato or an Oka but he has an incredibly unique presence. And it helps since he's 32 now and NJPW wants to fast track him to the big leagues
Fair enough. He definitely stands out among Young Lions, but he doens't really strike me as someone who will stand out among the general population of wrestlers in most promotions.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I still think the Pure Title would be perfect for Gresham. And then Danielson can come take it from him when he gets back.

I think it would go a long way towards satisfying the elements in the fanbase who think ROH has moved too far away from what it once was.

Of course they're already on the verge of having too many titles but if they just left it at this for a while, I think they'd be okay:
World Title
Television Title
Pure Title
Tag Titles
Six Man Tag Titles
Women of Honor Title

The Pure title for your best in-ring guys, the TV title for your most entertaining guys, the World Title for the guys who are both.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 pm Who should be Delerious's big 2018 project? I wouldn't mind seeing Kenny King molded for a title win at Final Battle.
Coast 2 Coast -- they need some young blood in the tag team division.

Flip Gordon -- guy has a lot of talent, but needs some direction and focus
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 am
He's unique to the Young Lions system just as much as wrestling in its whole. Kitamura has the gravid weight of Big Japan's heavyweight division as well as the physical imagination of a Dragon Gate star. While I don't think he's a shoe-in to become the next leading candidate for Outstanding Wrestler, I think he'll be currying favor with a broad range of audiences. I don't know where his ceiling but I can see him occupying a role to that of Makabe--their sense of physical contrast and charisma being their most striking similarities.

Shota Umino is the wrestler I'm most keeping tabs on. Great look. Decent height. Family connection. Strong worker.

While I'm at it, I'd like welcome our new overlord:
(How can this have only been registered now--the board's been up for six years. What are we even doing here?)
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 pm I still think the Pure Title would be perfect for Gresham. And then Danielson can come take it from him when he gets back.

I think it would go a long way towards satisfying the elements in the fanbase who think ROH has moved too far away from what it once was.

Of course they're already on the verge of having too many titles but if they just left it at this for a while, I think they'd be okay:
World Title
Television Title
Pure Title
Tag Titles
Six Man Tag Titles
Women of Honor Title

The Pure title for your best in-ring guys, the TV title for your most entertaining guys, the World Title for the guys who are both.
I'd rather they do some sort of tournament, could even lead to a TV title match at a PPV. Obviously have Gresham win it.

But a tournament either on TV, or at a random house show would be pretty good. However, should ROH get that rumored big TV deal in the fall, and keep the Sinclair shows running as different shows as well, I don't see why they couldn't add another title with all that TV time they'll be having. I know others would disagree, but I wouldn't mind it. Especially if it's a VERY wrestling oriented title.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 pm I still think the Pure Title would be perfect for Gresham. And then Danielson can come take it from him when he gets back.

World Title
Television Title
Pure Title
Tag Titles
Six Man Tag Titles
Women of Honor Title

If Dragon is coming back I'd rather have him revive the Pure Title because he was the last champion so it wouldn't break continuity. Plus I think taking the belt from Dragon (and, let's face it, Dragon should be going for the ROH World Title) would do a lot for Gresham. Defending the Pure Title would also give Dragon a reason not to be going after the world title right away so you can build up to that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Taven, Shelly, Trent and Coast to Coast would be my picks for more focus and progression.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Flip Gordon vs. Scorpio Sky vs. Jonathan Gresham could become a great three way feud like a Tajiri vs. Crazy vs. Guido from ECW. Something I'd like to see ROH do.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I hope they focus on building homegrown talents more. Now lets say im delirious I would take those road shows and build the shows off those. I would adopt more NJPW influnces such as more stables like search and destory, Bullet club, Addiction New Stable, etc.
Big Red Machine

christopherclinton55 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am I hope they focus on building homegrown talents more. Now lets say im delirious I would take those road shows and build the shows off those. I would adopt more NJPW influnces such as more stables like search and destory, Bullet club, Addiction New Stable, etc.
More stables is the last thing they need. New Japan's stables play a huge part in keeping it's booking so stagnant, and with fewer belts than New Japan (and a smaller roster) this will be an even bigger problem in ROH.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:31 pm I think Flip Gordon vs. Scorpio Sky vs. Jonathan Gresham could become a great three way feud like a Tajiri vs. Crazy vs. Guido from ECW. Something I'd like to see ROH do.
I really like this idea. I would love if they were the contenders for the TV title in the beginning of 2018.
TheROHbot

Post by TheROHbot »

The roster is, IMO, in its worst phase probably ever right now.

Would love to see King, Martinez, MCMG, Addiction, Coast 2 Coast, the Dawgs, and Shane Taylor dropped in favor of guys like Sammy Guevera and Joey Janela. Still can't believe that the hottest non-Bullet Club act on the indy scene right now was in ROH and slipped through the cracks. It'd be nice if ROH could bask in his glory.
Jim Cornette loves me.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:55 am
christopherclinton55 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am I hope they focus on building homegrown talents more. Now lets say im delirious I would take those road shows and build the shows off those. I would adopt more NJPW influnces such as more stables like search and destory, Bullet club, Addiction New Stable, etc.
More stables is the last thing they need. New Japan's stables play a huge part in keeping it's booking so stagnant, and with fewer belts than New Japan (and a smaller roster) this will be an even bigger problem in ROH.
Actually more stables would give the undercard the six man titles more importants and could gives younger talent something to do rather than linger on the undercard also some one like lethal losing in a six man tag would do less harm than losing in a single match.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in participating in a ROH Draft here on the forum (inspired by the annual DKP Christmas Draft Podcast on the WO/F4W Network)? Basically it'd be drafting a roster of talent (in this case, the all-time ROH roster) for a major supercard, and then people would vote on which one is the best. I think it'll be something cool to do during this down time for ROH, especially since (based on the current schedule), the first Pick 'Ems of 2018 won't be until February.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

That would be fun.