Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thelone

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Thelone »

- The heart punch, period. Keep that shit on CHIKARA.
- Elgin's delayed suplex. You're a heel, START ACTING LIKE ONE.
- Pulling the referee to the outside so he doesn't count three or at least send the guy who does it to the back.
- Elgin's leg drop from the second rope. I hate how the opponent has to wait like a moron while Elgin is climbing the ropes.
- Dijak's knee strike. Looks horribly fake and like it wouldn't hurt a fly.
- Young's springboard move after the headstand. He never hits anyone with it and it doesn't fit his character anyway.
- The fake tag spot. Pointless most of the time and the only person who did it right in recent memory is Whitmer because he's a great heel.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

jordidebaas wrote:Meh, I don't think they should waist Briscoe's undefeated streak on a mediocre Pinball player like Cole

Im not saying that. Im saying Cole takes the belt from whoever takes it from Briscoe.
Also I respectfully disagree with your opinion on Cole.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Marketh. wrote:Part of the reason ROH has a problem with creating and maintaining cool babyfaces is Kevin Kelly referring to someone as a "nice guy, in and out of the ring".

Wrestling already discovered in the '90s that being nice isn't a way to get over. Fans don't care who Kelly would let date his daughter.
The trio of the Kingdom are the only guys in ROH douchey enough and over enough to be able to pull this off. Cole is WAY over, really think Taven and Bennett are beginning to follow suit with a lot of the ROH fanbase that has always been cold to Bennett.
Maybe reDRagon too.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

- Guys doing the "hug your partner's waist" spot in back-to-back matches at Global Wars was embarrassing. In general, Rocky Romero's "comedy" is 75% miss for me.

- I can't really defend it, but I love the heart punch. I think Caprice has stopped doing it, though.

- "You hit me/I hit you"/"I want you to punch me as hard as you can" Fight Club spots are awful 90% of the time. This has been toned down a bit since the Wolves left, but yeah it still sucks.

- Elgin's delayed verticle suplex is terrible, yes. Takes me right out of a match.

- Young doing Sabu's Arabian press finisher makes zero sense for his character. Presumably, Silas Young's character hates Arabs and all foreigners. His finisher should be a lariat, which is a man's move.

- I will add that 90% of the time, I hate the trainwreck lucha dive spots that everybody thinks are so awesome where a crowd of guys has to stand there like idiots outside the ring so somebody can jump on them. And sometimes we have to wait for four people to do it in a row.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Heart Punch is a stupid but charming move.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Burnside wrote:- I will add that 90% of the time, I hate the trainwreck lucha dive spots that everybody thinks are so awesome where a crowd of guys has to stand there like idiots outside the ring so somebody can jump on them. And sometimes we have to wait for four people to do it in a row.
I actually enjoy this a lot...but I HATE when the person(s) doing it have no concern for hitting their partners on the dive. Why is it acceptable? You're diving to attack your opponent. When Hanson hits Ray Rowe when he hits a dive, he's attacking Rowe. It's such a small thing to hate, but I hate it soooo much.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Moose must be among the best booked and ‘directed’ wrestlers on the roster for him to be as over as he is. As much as I don’t like a crowd derailing a wrestler’s momentum, Moose’s acceptance en masse at live shows frustrates me and I wish the crowds were less receptive towards him.

That is a pretty rare and crummy thing to for me say, but I tend to favor the idea that getting over in ROH reflects certain degree of quality in a wrestle—at least due to its more educated, and sometimes as a result, caustic fans. I admit that Moose is impressive in some aspects, but I am pretty disappointed that someone as shallow and as limited as he is has successfully made it to the upper card without much resistance.

Also, Bobby Fish is the champion we deserve! If it were not for his age, I would petition in full force that he must get his reign at some point.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I think a big Moose backlash is imminent because he's now being put into big match positions and he will be quickly exposed. It's a shame they just re-signed him because the portion of the fanbase that's been cheering him is about to have a collective "emperor has no clothes" moment.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

Burnside wrote:
- "You hit me/I hit you"/"I want you to punch me as hard as you can" Fight Club spots are awful 90% of the time. This has been toned down a bit since the Wolves left, but yeah it still sucks.
Speak for yourself, I eat that shit up most of the time. To me, big "fighting spirit" strike exchanges are a defining part of the ROH style and Davey Richards was the king of that
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Davey Richards was and is the king of "INTENSE".

He'd headbutt a rock until he passed out in the ring if he thought it would make him look intense.....Someone should convince him to do just that by the way.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

It was fun as hell to watch.. I don't know what happened backstage that they wouldn't even let him have his last match but I'd love to see him back if he can get along
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

It's fun when done reasonably, which Davey didn't.

The Davey bridge is burned to hell and the ashes scattered. If he ever comes back to ROH I'll be majorly surprised.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

O'Reilly's selling can be incredibly goofy sometimes and not in a good way.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Do you think we'll see ROH represented in the Super Juniors Tournament this year? If so who, maybe Cole, Fish, or O'Reilly, would be awesome to see ACH in it.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Do you mean the NJPW one? Because Fish and O'Reilly are competing in it right now
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, it has already started and reDRagon are a part of it.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Didn't realize it was already underway. Great!
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Of course ROH is going to be represented, Dragon Soldier B will be in it.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Burnside wrote:- Young doing Sabu's Arabian press finisher makes zero sense for his character. Presumably, Silas Young's character hates Arabs and all foreigners. His finisher should be a lariat, which is a man's move.
Definitely agree with this. Makes absolutely no sense and the Lariat would be my pick for his finish also.

Another spot that really annoys me is when someone takes a top rope crossbody and rolls backwards and doesn't sell it. I mean, you took the same bump you would if he just hit you normally but because you did a roll you won't sell it? Not just in ROH this happens, but I think it's pretty stupid.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Cena's spot?