Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:26 am
Shanahan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:12 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:23 pm There's enough salt in the last few posts to to fill a restaurant full of shakers. JESUS.
You're hypocrisy is endless.
How so? In all honesty, the Punk detractors are really such whiney children.
👀 pot calling the kettle black I see. When I think of Whiney children i think of CM punk. Isn’t that ironic.

He’s not the smartest man in the room. He is the one with the largest voice. Doesn’t make him smart or right, and even if he is in the right, that’s not how you handle business. It’s pretty sad actually, but like Shanahan said , he’ll probably implode before long.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:01 am

👀 pot calling the kettle black I see. When I think of Whiney children i think of CM punk. Isn’t that ironic.

He’s not the smartest man in the room. He is the one with the largest voice. Doesn’t make him smart or right, and even if he is in the right, that’s not how you handle business. It’s pretty sad actually, but like Shanahan said , he’ll probably implode before long.

I’ll just quote this so in a year when things are fine and everyone is enjoying his work again we can have a laugh for the Sinclair sympathizers
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:47 am

I’ll just quote this so in a year when things are fine and everyone is enjoying his work again we can have a laugh for the Sinclair sympathizers

Remember when Punk came back and people said it wouldn't work out...they were right. It could work out but the past is relevant.

I hope it does work out. I'm a huge Punk fan & Young Bucks hater but seeing him show up at Raw like that doesn't instill confidence
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

His creative shows he's the smartest man in the room, particularly the Kingston and MJF programs. There's been nothing from the EVPs and so-called three locker room leaders that has measured up to those two programs when it comes to building grown-up heat, that has shown an understanding of the correct time to spill blood, etc.

To be blunt, Punk vs. Kingston may be the greatest short-term build ever for a match, and Punk vs. MJF was a true throwback to a type of storytelling that the business has lazily gotten away from, that being the really visceral adult-targeting storylines (some that have drawn tremendous business) such as ROH vs. CZW, Batista vs. HHH 2005, Jacobs vs. Whitmer, Steen vs. Generico 2010, and Jericho vs. HBK 2008. (Seriously, what the fuck happened to that Jericho? Was that award-winning, career-defining run of his so believable that it kept drawing insane marks that tried harming him in real life or something?)

If the Day One roster and the fans that have been watching since then have a respective problem with the blunt superiority of Punk and those he drew to AEW like me, that is their problem, not ours. Collision cannot come soon enough, to see an adult-targeting, continuity-driven, heat-generating product that is an evolution of the territories and superior underground period (ROH mid-2000s) rather than the Total Nonstop Soyboy Action program that airs on Wednesdays and aims to pay a juvenile, false utopia tribute to TNA and the one-dimensional Reseda federation. It'll be hilarious if Collision ends up being a critical smash hit thanks to Punk and FTR creating a proper environment for acts like Hobbs, Cargill, and Starks, an environment that attracts Mone, and all of it leads to catty, passive-aggressive, unproductive resentment from the Dynamite crew.

Spare me the "agree to disagree" and "why can't we all just like what we like?" bullshit. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativist_fallacy
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:28 pm

His creative shows he's the smartest man in the room, particularly the Kingston and MJF programs. There's been nothing from the EVPs and so-called three locker room leaders that has measured up to those two programs when it comes to building grown-up heat, that has shown an understanding of the correct time to spill blood, etc.

To be blunt, Punk vs. Kingston may be the greatest short-term build ever for a match, and Punk vs. MJF was a true throwback to a type of storytelling that the business has lazily gotten away from, that being the really visceral adult-targeting storylines (some that have drawn tremendous business) such as ROH vs. CZW, Batista vs. HHH 2005, Jacobs vs. Whitmer, Steen vs. Generico 2010, and Jericho vs. HBK 2008. (Seriously, what the fuck happened to that Jericho? Was that award-winning, career-defining run of his so believable that it kept drawing insane marks that tried harming him in real life or something?)

If the Day One roster and the fans that have been watching since then have a respective problem with the blunt superiority of Punk and those he drew to AEW like me, that is their problem, not ours. Collision cannot come soon enough, to see an adult-targeting, continuity-driven, heat-generating product that is an evolution of the territories and superior underground period (ROH mid-2000s) rather than the Total Nonstop Soyboy Action program that airs on Wednesdays and aims to pay a juvenile, false utopia tribute to TNA and the one-dimensional Reseda federation. It'll be hilarious if Collision ends up being a critical smash hit thanks to Punk and FTR creating a proper environment for acts like Hobbs, Cargill, and Starks, an environment that attracts Mone, and all of it leads to catty, passive-aggressive, unproductive resentment from the Dynamite crew.

Spare me the "agree to disagree" and "why can't we all just like what we like?" bullshit. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativist_fallacy
I was very high on the Kingston/Punk promo build up to their match. Arguably the best of AEW’s history. The problem with that was the booking. They couldn’t build on it, tell a story, create a feud. You’d think the smartest guy in the room would have recognized that. Here nor there, Punk will only be as good as he’s booked. Until he plays his role, puts the story ahead of his ego, he won’t rekindle anything greater than his past work.

(Not to mention, he’s wasn’t ready to champion, when he has handed the belt. He still looked rusty and out of shape. Which surprise/surprise, got injured, twice)

I’m actually rooting for Punk still, think we all want him to be great. He just lost the confidence of many of his fans.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:58 pm
supersonic wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:28 pm

I was very high on the Kingston/Punk promo build up to their match. Arguably the best of AEW’s history. The problem with that was the booking. They couldn’t build on it, tell a story, create a feud. You’d think the smartest guy in the room would have recognized that. Here nor there, Punk will only be as good as he’s booked. Until he plays his role, puts the story ahead of his ego, he won’t rekindle anything greater than his past work.

(Not to mention, he’s wasn’t ready to champion, when he has handed the belt. He still looked rusty and out of shape. Which surprise/surprise, got injured, twice)

I’m actually rooting for Punk still, think we all want him to be great. He just lost the confidence of many of his fans.
His ego?????? Hahahahhaahahaha, yeah his ego, ok. The ego of a guy who didn't want the belt, asked not to have it ego. Rusty after being hurt with a pulvarized foot, out of shape? You are not that fucking dumb? Brother I am six months post op of the exact same injury, although I had more bone fragments(yay me?) and I'm no athlete nor do I have Punk's miles on his body but I hurt just walking up, and specifically down steps. I hurt getting out of bed in the AM. I hurt going to bed. When you go through that experience, and a surgery that puts your ABILITY TO WALK at risk, then you can talk about his physical condition. I have such bad foot pain I cannot push the pedal of an exercise bike. So ridiculing Punk for coming back in 5 months give or take for being out of shape and rusty is completely fucking bonkers.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

One thing that is rarely (if ever) taken into consideration:

Assuming it's a shoot, Punk's ethos is to abstain from painkillers. That would explain not only not living up to the durability that so many in the business and those who consume it are conditioned into expecting, but also like when the fictional Dr. House didn't get Vicodin, the physical pain wears on Punk at a legitimate level and significantly contributes to his surly, temperamental personality. Many who have have shown a more palatable energy are going to come down HARD eventually, they're gonna end up in a dark place as a result, and there are many examples I can point to in which that's the case. Punk (presumably) doesn't shield himself from the brutal realities of the ailments that are inherent to his profession.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:39 pm One thing that is rarely (if ever) taken into consideration:

Assuming it's a shoot, Punk's ethos is to abstain from painkillers. That would explain not only not living up to the durability that so many in the business and those who consume it are conditioned into expecting, but also like when the fictional Dr. House didn't get Vicodin, the physical pain wears on Punk at a legitimate level and significantly contributes to his surly, temperamental personality. Many who have have shown a more palatable energy are going to come down HARD eventually, they're gonna end up in a dark place as a result, and there are many examples I can point to in which that's the case. Punk (presumably) doesn't shield himself from the brutal realities of the ailments that are inherent to his profession.
I'm not going to comment on straight edge or not, but that was a very real thing for a long time, and injuries don't just heal and go away. Additionally, that guy is a workout freak and just because he's not roided to the gills or ripped and shredded, doesn't mean he's out of shape. I mean, not to make this a me thing but I lost 120lbs, I'm not shredded by any stretch.

Additionally, years of brain injuries, trust issues, betrayals, and just overall mental health issues can have extreme consequences. So the deniers and excuse makers here can fuck all the way off if this is the angle they're taking. For christ sakes, Punk fractured his skull and sat in darkness for a period in 2002. If you think that doesn't have long term consequences, you're just an idiot.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

By that logic we can never have an opinion on any wrestler that had a injury. Come on. All we said was that punk coming back will most likely end like it did last year. That’s not a wild opinion.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Punk not having an ego?? ok 👍

CM punk was out of shape because he looked that way in a majority of matches. 👍

I’m not going to comment on your health/injuries.

I’d rather be discussing current ROH matches/storylines if anyone has anything thoughts on that.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:52 am Punk not having an ego?? ok 👍

I’d rather be discussing current ROH matches/storylines if anyone has anything thoughts on that.

I like that this guy thinks he knows punk more than someone who has spent 20 or so years around him and that he’s always been a body guy until Aew. Lol
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:56 am

I like that this guy thinks he knows punk more than someone who has spent 20 or so years around him and that he’s always been a body guy until Aew. Lol
When did he say punk was a body guy? He was not in top shape because Punk said it himself over and over. You could of known punk since birth, means nothing. He said before his AEW debut & after that he had ring rust, wasn't in top shape & needed a good amount of time to get back in top & bumping shape. He talked about being old and achy all the time.

Again with the "do you know who I know" stuff. Give it a rest.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:49 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:56 am

When did he say punk was a body guy? He was not in top shape because Punk said it himself over and over. You could of known punk since birth, means nothing. He said before his AEW debut & after that he had ring rust, wasn't in top shape & needed a good amount of time to get back in top & bumping shape. He talked about being old and achy all the time.

Again with the "do you know who I know" stuff. Give it a rest.
If you’re gonna bitch and I correct you, reality and facts are more accurate than his and your opinion
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

You didn't correct us tho. You are gaslighting. Acting like Punk is an angel with no ego who was in great shape.

Spoiler alert...we have working eyes and ears.

I'm done talking about it.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Ring of Honor is going back to scheduled TV tapings just in time. The program is starting to lose focus & becoming a managerie.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:17 pm You didn't correct us tho. You are gaslighting. Acting like Punk is an angel with no ego who was in great shape.

Spoiler alert...we have working eyes and ears.

I'm done talking about it.

Thanks Cutler. Gaslighting, jesus christ. Fuck off. Punk is not nor has he ever been an angel and he in fact shares blame in this. But he has the balls to speak his peace directly and publicly instead of running off to Meltzer like Jericho & The Bucks camps did. He's in great shape for someone in his 40's who has been through hell physically and that didn't take a bump for 9 years. But as they say, we can't fix the unfixable. You aren't done talking about it, because you won't be able to help yourself.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:27 pm Ring of Honor is going back to scheduled TV tapings just in time. The program is starting to lose focus & becoming a managerie.
Agreed. The universal tapings were so much better.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:47 pm
tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:27 pm Ring of Honor is going back to scheduled TV tapings just in time. The program is starting to lose focus & becoming a managerie.
I know some will call me a fake roh fan but i haven't watched roh tv in three weeks because the product is all over the place at the moment
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:35 am
I know some will call me a fake roh fan but i haven't watched roh tv in three weeks because the product is all over the place at the moment
They are building to nothing but singular matches so of course it’s gonna be all over the place. This is not a spicy take.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:35 am
You are spot on. It's been ROH Dark last few weeks. Weird move to just throw random shit together after a PPV but I guess Tony is keeping ROH tradition alive and well. Only 1 more week of this before real tapings.