Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

KL_ wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:27 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:08 pm https://gofund.me/b212d8de

Everyone claiming to be an ROH fan should be donating to Deranged.

What has happened? I saw that account active 3 days ago.
I will try to reach out to J and see what I can find out. Will report back.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:59 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:37 pm

Well, the AEW crowd isn’t exactly an ROH crowd. Even guys like Garcia/Takeshita/Lucha Bros barely popped the crowd. Even with some really good matches.

Your hatred for Sinclair knows no bounds. 2/3 of the talent on the show weren’t Sinclair ROH wrestlers.

I thought the matches were good. Similar thoughts to past shows. Good matches, good roster, but has the same flaw of AEW , which is making matches will very clear winners/losers. I predicted 10 of 10 matches. That’s a problem because if I know who’s going to win, why bother watching. (Same issue with dark). Just book something like Matt Taven vs Brian Cage, Infantry vs Work horsemen, Rush vs Pentagon…wrestlers in the same tier.

Oddly, I think I enjoyed the universal tapings more, bc you had a strong ROH fan base, plus taping 4 weeks in a row, you can ensure better episodic storylines, with building to a ppv. Week to week on Dynamite, we’ll likely see more random/mixed matches.

I’ll go 7/10 this week. 3 really good matches and a bit more filler.

Picking results is absolutely common. It's not hard if you focus on the product. Aside from Roman beating Cody and WWE dropping a slam dunk, I had every other wrestlemania match predicted. We go forward to Dynamite last night, I could have easily predicted who went over. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a bit of effort of paying attention.
While I agree it’s not rocket science in predicting winners, there’s a 99% chance the favorite will win. (Same with this weeks card)
While wrestlemania… it’s more like 80/20% or 90/10%. Could John cena, Finn Balor, Omos, Cody won? Sure.

The odds someone like Metalik is winning the ROH championship is like 1% if that. Many of these matches are extremely one sided. Sure, there may be a Jericho/action Andretti moment where the 1% chance happens… but I’d prefer to watch/pay for matches with evenly matched talent. Like the Shane Taylor vs Silas Young match. It could have gone either way. When you have like 3 debuting women vs 3 pushed women in ROH , seems like it’s all a foregone conclusion on what will happen. Matches like this won’t maintain subscribers imo.
Shane Taylor vs. Silas in 2023 sounds absolutely lifeless.

There was zero chance Cena was winning, same goes for Omos and Balor. The Cody thing is a story that will one day be told and who was responsible for that abortion.

If the subscriber count continues to grow, which it has, it's pretty clear fans are more open minded to good matches than they are whatever you're looking for.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:22 pm
KL_ wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:27 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:08 pm https://gofund.me/b212d8de

Everyone claiming to be an ROH fan should be donating to Deranged.

What has happened? I saw that account active 3 days ago.
I will try to reach out to J and see what I can find out. Will report back.

https://twitter.com/akaDeranged account is good to go.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:25 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 pm

Picking results is absolutely common. It's not hard if you focus on the product. Aside from Roman beating Cody and WWE dropping a slam dunk, I had every other wrestlemania match predicted. We go forward to Dynamite last night, I could have easily predicted who went over. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a bit of effort of paying attention.
While I agree it’s not rocket science in predicting winners, there’s a 99% chance the favorite will win. (Same with this weeks card)
While wrestlemania… it’s more like 80/20% or 90/10%. Could John cena, Finn Balor, Omos, Cody won? Sure.

The odds someone like Metalik is winning the ROH championship is like 1% if that. Many of these matches are extremely one sided. Sure, there may be a Jericho/action Andretti moment where the 1% chance happens… but I’d prefer to watch/pay for matches with evenly matched talent. Like the Shane Taylor vs Silas Young match. It could have gone either way. When you have like 3 debuting women vs 3 pushed women in ROH , seems like it’s all a foregone conclusion on what will happen. Matches like this won’t maintain subscribers imo.

There was zero chance Cena was winning, same goes for Omos and Balor. The Cody thing is a story that will one day be told and who was responsible for that abortion.

If the subscriber count continues to grow, which it has, it's pretty clear fans are more open minded to good matches than they are whatever you're looking for.
Ok, John Cena had zero percent chance against Austin Theory. I'm pretty sure if Cena wanted if could have won at any point; at this point in his career. He's not some no-name jobber who never wins.

Yes, subscriber count has gone from 12K to 15K ... in reality... that's a drop in the bucket. Their PPV numbers have been much higher. What's that tell you? Are fans really getting what they want? Not to mention; we have no idea to measure "whatever i'm looking for" since clearly they aren't doing it yet.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:00 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:25 pm

Ok, John Cena had zero percent chance against Austin Theory. I'm pretty sure if Cena wanted if could have won at any point; at this point in his career. He's not some no-name jobber who never wins.

Yes, subscriber count has gone from 12K to 15K ... in reality... that's a drop in the bucket. Their PPV numbers have been much higher. What's that tell you? Are fans really getting what they want? Not to mention; we have no idea to measure "whatever i'm looking for" since clearly they aren't doing it yet.
If you thought for one second Cena was beating Theory in 2023, you are out of your mind.

Subscriber count up another 1,000 since the PPV. But let's not let that get in the way of the reality they have nothing to build to. So give away good matches and interesting charactrers and when you have a destination you build to it. It's that easy.
Captain Podcast
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Even for the internet, there’s so much bickering in this place.

Loving the TV show. Hope by the end of the summer we get more tapings/shows that aren’t tagging along with AEW shows.

LOVED the PPV stage at Supercard, found it very unique even if it was all LED’s. The new design and graphics look fantastic. Love red white and black color schemes.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

These ROH TV episodes need to be 88 minutes long.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Tonight's tv has 11 matches....11!!! No reason for 11 matches. Tony needs to cut it to 4-6 matches depending on how long the main event is.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

After last night's it's crystal-clear that Jungle Boy belongs in ROH to develop his game as a personality. That's what ROH is supposed to be for last time I heard about the ethos.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:02 am Tonight's tv has 11 matches....11!!! No reason for 11 matches. Tony needs to cut it to 4-6 matches depending on how long the main event is.
Seconded. I’m reserving judgement until I’ve seen them, but post-Supercard episodes taped around AEW all have a distinctly Dark/Elevation vibe to them which I’m not enthused by.

(But again, I’ll wait until I’ve seen them)
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

ROH become another Youtube program?
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:20 pm These ROH TV episodes need to be 88 minutes long.
In this last episode (#8?), 88 minutes would have been the end of El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Gringo Loco.
A nice concise presentation.

Agree with the cross pollination of ROH & AEW becoming somewhat problematic. I do enjoy the matches. Wish they would do monthly Ring Of Honor TV tapings (promise I won't look at the spoilers).

Possibly rotate TV tapings locations between 3-4 places. Orlando, Philadelphia/Baltimore, Chicago. Experimenting where they can draw a respectable crowd that will show up every few months.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Montana

Post by Montana »

A few thoughts/news…

Rumor has it AEW has a new show coming on Saturday’s , plus there’s potential for a AEW brand split with CM punk and friends on the Saturday show. If true, I wonder how that impacts ROH. Seems like if you put Punk, Joe, FTR , Claudio Takeshita, and the ROH roster you got a pretty solid start to a brand split. Guess we’ll see where that goes. Seems like Warner wants it AEW branded.

They are doing another set of ROH tapings at Universal May 6th, 7th, which is good… (but I just realize sucks for me, as I was looking forward to see ROH at the May 10th dynamite live)

Gringo Loco and Vikingo was pretty awesome from this week. Great to see guys like Moriarty get more time, along with some others. Still feels like matches, and lacks direction/focus at the moment. Still a step above Dark, but certainly some vibes at certain points. I like quality over quantity, but nothing was bad. Easy watch.

I will say, that ROH doesn’t feel that unique to AEW. Feels pretty much the same. I like AEW, but would prefer more touring/more Special live events, streaming service. Think ROH will struggle with its identity, unless getting a
Decent distribution/TV / streaming deal. At what point do stars like Claudio/Joe / etc not want to work ROH. Don’t think we are there yet, but if AEW does a full blown brand split, there’s potential even more focus on AEW, and less on ROH. This brand split could be really good or really bad for ROH. All speculation at this point though.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I saw someone suggest Punk winning the ROH Title and making it his on Collision. Kingston should be chasing the ROH Title upon returning and we never got the money rematch between them...
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:20 pm I saw someone suggest Punk winning the ROH Title and making it his on Collision. Kingston should be chasing the ROH Title upon returning and we never got the money rematch between them...
That could be interesting. Another theory that’s been thrown out there, that CM Punk has been the one behind BCC turning heel, taking out the Elite, which I think could also be very interesting. Although on the other hand, if Punk is being kept on a separate show, who knows how all that will work out.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I don’t think much will change. Punk will have his show on Saturday until he quits again in the fall. ROH will basically chug along as ugly red headed stepchild
AnHonorableMention

There's enough salt in the last few posts to to fill a restaurant full of shakers. JESUS.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:23 pm There's enough salt in the last few posts to to fill a restaurant full of shakers. JESUS.
You're hypocrisy is endless.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:12 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:23 pm There's enough salt in the last few posts to to fill a restaurant full of shakers. JESUS.
How so? In all honesty, the Punk detractors are really such whiney children.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:26 am
Shanahan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:12 pm
How so? In all honesty, the Punk detractors are really such whiney children.
I for one appreciate the smartest man in the room showing up and aggressively bursting the bubble of an unjustifiably smug, soft-touch false utopia circle of soyboys and other adolescent-minded performers. Growing pains.