Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

God I love Aussie Open.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:08 pm Tony Khan says Mark Briscoe has made it clear that he will no longer do standard tag team matches following Jay's passing.

Will only do Singles, Trios & Multi-mans but not 2 vs 2 tags.
As it should be.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:07 pm new belt.

Need to see more of it, but I think all the belts need a revamp, and you can toss the six man straps in the trash.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

A few thoughts of mine.

On his part of the media scrum Claudio lambasted Kingston over the curse words he said on the mic and said that was language unbecoming of a Ring of Honor World Champion...is he not in a stable with the guy who would declare that his opponents were going to "get their fucking head kicked in" when he was ROH World Champion?

Looks like they're going to run ROH tapings at the Dynamite tapings now. Since that's the case I would mind seeing them run live ROH episodes on PPV weeks since they usually rent a venue out for five days, may as well add another opportunity to sell tickets.

With Cobb picking up the win over Hot Sauce on Zero Hour and now being 2-0 in the Tony Khan led Ring of Honor, I think there's a logical opportunity to push one of my personal "dream matches" for the ROH TV title between Jeff Cobb and Samoa Joe.

Only gripes with SCOH...where were the streamers, where are the steel barricades. And where was Bandido?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Also

People shat on TK for buying ROH and taking so long for a full relaunch but just forget the last owners let it go black and had released all talent and employees.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I've seen some people say it's like when WWE relaunched ECW on 2006. Only similarity is the bigger company relaunched their smaller acquisition. This is how WWECW should have gone, doing the original justice while putting their own stamp on it that doesn't bastardize what they did before.
Montana

Post by Montana »

ROH Tapings at Dynamite are interesting... Makes sense.

Cobb and Joe would be awesome. Not surprised Cobb is on a win streak.

Bandido was having visa issues... but sounds like he should be back soon per TK.

To be fair, the old owners decided not to run shows, during the pandemic. Then opted to sell the company. They handled the situation fairly, considering the turn of events. Either way, there's certainly pro's and con's to the new/old leadership. Even in 2019, i got free TV, multiple live events and PPV's under the HC subscription with touring live events, now for 9.99 for you get TV, no live events, and quarterly PPVs are 40$. Preferred the 2019 schedule, and value; BUT can't argue that TK has breathed some new life into ROH; and has some together a solid roster; with some strong shows... so we'll see.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 am ROH Tapings at Dynamite are interesting... Makes sense.

Bandido was having visa issues... but sounds like he should be back soon per TK.

To be fair, the old owners decided not to run shows, during the pandemic. Then opted to sell the company. They handled the situation fairly, considering the turn of events. Either way, there's certainly pro's and con's to the new/old leadership. Even in 2019, i got free TV, multiple live events and PPV's under the HC subscription with touring live events, now for 9.99 for you get TV, no live events, and quarterly PPVs are 40$. Preferred the 2019 schedule, and value; BUT can't argue that TK has breathed some new life into ROH; and has some together a solid roster; with some strong shows... so we'll see.
To be fair and accurate, more importantly the old owners were ignorant and didn't understand the value of certain talents and instead of realizing when things began falling apart they looked the other way because "talent is replacable". Then you had the on going pandemic. Not firing Hunter the moment he decided on the finish at the Garden was enough to know the ship was gonna sink, no matter what they did. They ran ROH at a loss, Tony is trying to make money with ROH and thus far he's done plenty to do just that. Nothing is perfect or flawless overnight, or will be even after 2 or 3 years.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 pm
Montana wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 am ROH Tapings at Dynamite are interesting... Makes sense.

To be fair and accurate, more importantly the old owners were ignorant and didn't understand the value of certain talents and instead of realizing when things began falling apart they looked the other way because "talent is replacable". Then you had the on going pandemic. Not firing Hunter the moment he decided on the finish at the Garden was enough to know the ship was gonna sink, no matter what they did. They ran ROH at a loss, Tony is trying to make money with ROH and thus far he's done plenty to do just that. Nothing is perfect or flawless overnight, or will be even after 2 or 3 years.
Not going to argue ROH was mismanaged; but i'm sure they tried to resign all their talent; that left for WWE/AEW. ROH had that problem for years, even before AEW; where NXT would sign their top guys, and even started signing mid tier talent. As management, obviously you have to replace talent, if you lose them. They can't hold talent hostage, when better opportunities present themselves. Could there have been more they could have done to keep Cody or the Bucks? Maybe... but it's not like they didn't try. As we've discussed before, it was a perfect storm... loss of talent, stale booking, hot new AEW; thinking the company was a bigger deal than what it is, pandemic , etc. It seemed like they realized their was a problem in Fall of 2019; and started to pivot (instead of directly after G1 Supercard)...we'll never know how that would have went, but seemed like things were starting to get better in 2020.

I'm glad Tony and his Millions/Billions of dollars is using it to turn ROH profitable. I don't think it needs to be ran identical to how it was before; but fans having to pay to see some taped TV shows; under a subscription service; isn't ideal in 2023. I'm sure the AEW/Warner relationship will ultimately decide ROH's fate.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I’ve enjoyed TV & the PPV but I don’t like taping ROH at Dynamite. I hope that is only temporary
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:03 am

Not going to argue ROH was mismanaged; but i'm sure they tried to resign all their talent; that left for WWE/AEW. ROH had that problem for years, even before AEW; where NXT would sign their top guys, and even started signing mid tier talent. As management, obviously you have to replace talent, if you lose them. They can't hold talent hostage, when better opportunities present themselves. Could there have been more they could have done to keep Cody or the Bucks? Maybe... but it's not like they didn't try. As we've discussed before, it was a perfect storm... loss of talent, stale booking, hot new AEW; thinking the company was a bigger deal than what it is, pandemic , etc. It seemed like they realized their was a problem in Fall of 2019; and started to pivot (instead of directly after G1 Supercard)...we'll never know how that would have went, but seemed like things were starting to get better in 2020.

I'm glad Tony and his Millions/Billions of dollars is using it to turn ROH profitable. I don't think it needs to be ran identical to how it was before; but fans having to pay to see some taped TV shows; under a subscription service; isn't ideal in 2023. I'm sure the AEW/Warner relationship will ultimately decide ROH's fate.
The thing is, they were given terms, and chose to say no. Wrestlemania would be a lot different if they agreed to terms. They didn't try. They, being sinclair got cocky Joe Koff and Greg Gilliland had no respect for their top talent nor for those who went to them and asked for Hunter to be removed. The Fall of 2019 it was already over. As soon as they let fooled themselves into thinking people like Matt Taven were at the level of Cody or the Bucks in terms of value to the brand they lost. Bad business.

Here's the thing, you never got ROH for free. You had the youtube show but you had to pay in some cases the same price as Supercard cost on PPV for events. Either way you were paying. Nothing is free, especially in pro wrestling. Fans should either be committed enough to pay and not complain or just not be fans. Nobody is in wrestling for the fans. They want to make money until they go in the ground. That's how it works, always has and always will.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:57 pm

Here's the thing, you never got ROH for free. You had the youtube show but you had to pay in some cases the same price as Supercard cost on PPV for events. Either way you were paying. Nothing is free, especially in pro wrestling. Fans should either be committed enough to pay and not complain or just not be fans. Nobody is in wrestling for the fans. They want to make money until they go in the ground. That's how it works, always has and always will.

They gave ROH TV away for free on their website. Are you going to say i had to pay for internet, so it wasn't really free. Go to a free wifi zone or the library. Plus it ran in local markets; so i don't believe you even needed cable. Here nor there; it all comes down to value. Again, in 2023; i don't know if 4 taped episodes plus the back catalog is great value for 9.99. (especially competing with the dozen's of other major streaming platforms/cable/ people's time)

" Fans should either be committed enough to pay and not complain" ... you were complaining for a decade with ROH and SBG. If anything, the paying customer is the one that should be able to complain; not the one that doesn't. If people don't voice their opinions for feedback, how will the service improve. It's up to the company if they want to take/use the feedback provided.

I think the show is great; i just would like to see them add more value to further justify the price tag. If that's me complaining, so be it.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:32 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:57 pm

They gave ROH TV away for free on their website. Are you going to say i had to pay for internet, so it wasn't really free. Go to a free wifi zone or the library. Plus it ran in local markets; so i don't believe you even needed cable. Here nor there; it all comes down to value. Again, in 2023; i don't know if 4 taped episodes plus the back catalog is great value for 9.99. (especially competing with the dozen's of other major streaming platforms/cable/ people's time)

" Fans should either be committed enough to pay and not complain" ... you were complaining for a decade with ROH and SBG. If anything, the paying customer is the one that should be able to complain; not the one that doesn't. If people don't voice their opinions for feedback, how will the service improve. It's up to the company if they want to take/use the feedback provided.

I think the show is great; i just would like to see them add more value to further justify the price tag. If that's me complaining, so be it.

You are still paying to access the product, you want this to last, and you pay, you can bitch about the product all you want. It's those that bitch about the business model I take issue with because the business model is single handidly the only way to do it until a tv deal is in place. Want them to run extra events for content, pay for Honor Club, buy the PPV's and help justify the expense. Tony isn't going to do that until this is sustainable.

My issue with Sinclair was the lack of ethics from a conservative media company, the continued hamster on a wheel booking, and the outright disrespect shown to long time fans who got insulted and minimized because management didn't have people skills. The quality of the wrestling dropped off, I knew that because I watched it, and then saw crowds dwindle, and wrestlers I know grow more jaded. Nobody moved forward.
Captain Podcast
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Finally finished Ep 3. First thirty and the Yuta / Connors main were really good but about a hour of dead air in the middle for me. Looking at match times for shows four and five, it feels like I'm about on the cusp of ditching. Like the show isn't bad but it's long and I just feel like every minute I spend on it is a minute that would be better spent watching some b show from 2008 or whatever that I've never seen.
Montana

Post by Montana »

https://411mania.com/wrestling/jonathan ... -roh-exit/

Nothing too surprising, but glad to see he’s gone to therapy and no bridges are burned. Sounds more like a communication breakdown, along with frustration over character.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I also saw that Gresh interview and I too am glad no bridges were burned! The dream of Danielson/Gresham still burns!
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

So is the plan for ROH Television Tapings to run them simultaneously with AEW Dynamite/Rampage?
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Montana

Post by Montana »

They haven’t announced any specific ROH taping events so I think so. This week I assume they’ll tape Ramapge and Battle of the belts plus dark or elevation. My guess is they will continue to tape it with Dynamite and Rampage would be its own taping with Dark and/or RoH.

Looks like this week will have matches with:

Brian Cage vs Ortiz
Hot Sauce vs Daniel Garcia
Jay Lethal vs Darius Martin
Tony Nese vs Takeshita
Lucha Bros and Mark Briscoe vs Shane Taylor and work horse men
Rush and Dralistico vs The infantry
Righteous vs Steve somerset & Steve Azure
Willow vs Notoriois Mimi
Athena vs Yamashita
Shibata vs. Christopher Daniel’s

Believe a few more will be announced soon.

Predictions… Cage, Garcia, Lethal, Takeshita, Lucha Bros & Mark, Rush & Dralistico, righteous, Willow, Athena, and Shibata.

Can I go 10 for 10?? We are inching towards ROH dark.
AnHonorableMention

Long Island X ROH is just a cursed combo. Also way too much SInclair feel to this show. Gross.
Last edited by AnHonorableMention on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Podcast