Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
tigermask7.0

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Good to see the outcome of Trish Adora vs indie darling Billie Starkz. Thought they might mess that up.

Leveraging young independent talent on the undercard may help draw attention to ROH & give the wrestlers television experience. In the immediate future booking them at Supercard of Honor ... possibly in an Honor Rumble or Trios scenario might be a Good Thing.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Thought Ep 2 was a decent sized drop off from the first although nothing terrible. You do probably want to lead with your best stuff anyway. Better surprises last week for sure and they did a better job setting up the next episode last week too.

I also thought the three good matches last week were all better than any of the three good matches this week, although I'd say they were close enough to chalk it up to personal preference.

The thing they keep doing with 5 minute competitive matches (OGK and Daniels last week, Joe and Adora this week) and then 9 minute squashes (Mark Briscoe last week, Rush tag this week) is weird and I don't like it.

Daniels felt slow last week so I like putting him in a team, especially one with history in ROH. Looking forward to another OGK / Top Flight match too. And I like the Rush brothers tag team in theory even if their match sucked. Looking forward to seeing how they decide to set up the ladder match.

Edit: lol I intentionally wrote my review out before I read mcxal who i'm usually 90% in agreement with and he thought this week was way better, so maybe a show with matches featuring zsj, josh woods and claudio was uniquely calibrated to my specific taste haha
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:20 pm
Edit: lol I intentionally wrote my review out before I read mcxal who i'm usually 90% in agreement with and he thought this week was way better, so maybe a show with matches featuring zsj, josh woods and claudio was uniquely calibrated to my specific taste haha
Thanks for the shout out!!! 💪💪

Yeah I preferred Ep.2 for sure. I thought Yuta/Thatcher was GREAT (albeit in quite a niche way), Aussies/Foundation was just a super fun, balls to the wall, spot-heavy tag team sprint which felt like a condensed, tv-length version of something the ‘old ROH’ (Gabe/Cary era) did well. And the main event was fantastic.

My opinion was that it felt like a tighter package as a whole episode, fewer lousy filler matches, with a consistently higher standard for in-ring quality - and had lots of storyline progression that I personally was interested in (Daniels/Sydal reunion, Kingston/Claudio feud, Trish Adora getting put over, Athena continuing to ROCK in her role as Women’s Champ, Yuta’s character development) versus last week. No clue what the goal with LFI/SAP was though. That was dreadful. Rush beating Serpentico up and stealing his mask after the match was more exciting/effective than anything they did with the TEN MINUTES of tv time that preceded it…

(Although I do agree that there was probably more value in terms of ‘surprises’ and unpredictability last week. Woods/Takeshita and Claudio/Fox were both terrific - and on a comparable level to Aussies/Foundation and Athena/Willow. But I thought Yuta/Thatcher was a level above ZSJ/Blake in terms of story-telling and progressing Yuta as a character)
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Spoiler: show
2 episodes left & no closer to world title match. Weird build since Claudio doesn’t want or have to wrestle Eddie so why is Eddie only having a squash matches? Shouldn’t he have been in a #1 contender match or something competitive? Seems disjointed & lazy. Will spilled coffee get you a title shot now?
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 am
2 episodes left & no closer to world title match. Weird build since Claudio doesn’t want or have to wrestle Eddie so why is Eddie only having a squash matches? Shouldn’t he have been in a #1 contender match or something competitive? Seems disjointed & lazy. Will spilled coffee get you a title shot now?

Agreed; and i guess they are using their history and AEW record to make sense of it.

On top of that; we got the TV show; but then we're getting "dream" matches for SCOH; Ember vs Yuka and Wheeler vs. Shibata. Part of me feels wrong for complaining/nit picking about this; but part of me; kinda feels like the point of TV is to build the feuds and the characters. These don't excite me as much as they maybe should. I'm sure they'll be really good matches... just not sure they qualify as a dream match to me. (in comparison to say a ZSJ vs. Danielson match)

No new teams announced for the ladder match, and said more teams would be announced in the upcoming weeks; but feels like the PPV is like 2 weeks away. They do seem to be building some nice tag feuds though (OGK & Top Flight, which i assume are locks for the ladder match, Sydal/Daniels & Aussie Open) So maybe that's the 5 teams in the ladder match.

The booking of BCC has been awful since Regal's left. They should have just disbanded the group then. Now we get Claudio/Wheeler who are semi-heels. I assume Mox/Danielson still face. Just feels odd two natural babyface's are now like the top heels in ROH. Feels like something is cooking though. At least i assume and hope.

This episode was a 7.5/10 to me. The matches have been good. I think i liked episode 1, then 2 then 3 the most. Overall feels about the same. Good show; but it doesn't have the live / "must see" feel to it. I think it's awesome they are using ROH wrestlers from past, present, future... It's great to see guys like Silas, Shane Taylor, Tracey and Rhett; who've been busting their tails for ROH for a long time. I really like that these are about 2 hour shows. I like they are building up some matches show to show. I like the good use of men & women being a focal point. A small handful of wrestlers i just don't care about. Truth Busters seem like a may focal point of the show, which is still semi-odd to me; but they aren't horrible.
I feel like the show is missing a little something. I'm not exactly sure what; but feels very formulaic. Wrestlers come out , wrestler A wins; someone comes out after the match promo, backstage segment , then match, no promos, then match, post match interview, backstage, etc. Maybe even rushed at times. Very easy to tell what's coming next. I'm guessing over time; this gets sorted out. Maybe just some regular in ring promos, video packages, outside of the ring segments could make it feels a bit more rounded.

I assume more tapings will be schedule soon; as they will run out of content soon.
Last edited by Montana on Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

OTT Wrestling has announced that Eddie Kingston will be forced to miss Scrappermania this weekend, because he was diagnosed with COVID-19. It was noted that Kingston has already isolated himself after his diagnosis.
I guess he'll most likely miss Supercard of Honor as well.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/eddie-ki ... ppermania/
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:13 am
Agreed; and i guess they are using their history and AEW record to make sense of it.

On top of that; we got the TV show; but then we're getting "dream" matches for SCOH; Ember vs Yuka and Wheeler vs. Shibata. Part of me feels wrong for complaining/nit picking about this; but part of me; kinda feels like the point of TV is to build the feuds and the characters. These don't excite me as much as they maybe should. I'm sure they'll be really good matches... just not sure they qualify as a dream match to me. (in comparison to say a ZSJ vs. Danielson match)

No new teams announced for the ladder match, and said more teams would be announced in the upcoming weeks; but feels like the PPV is like 2 weeks away. They do seem to be building some nice tag feuds though (OGK & Top Flight, which i assume are locks for the ladder match, Sydal/Daniels & Aussie Open) So maybe that's the 5 teams in the ladder match.

The booking of BCC has been awful since Regal's left. They should have just disbanded the group then. Now we get Claudio/Wheeler who are semi-heels. I assume Mox/Danielson still face. Just feels odd two natural babyface's are now like the top heels in ROH. Feels like something is cooking though. At least i assume and hope.

This episode was a 7.5/10 to me. The matches have been good. I think i liked episode 1, then 2 then 3 the most. Overall feels about the same. Good show; but it doesn't have the live / "must see" feel to it. I think it's awesome they are using ROH wrestlers from past, present, future... It's great to see guys like Silas, Shane Taylor, Tracey and Rhett; who've been busting their tails for ROH for a long time. I really like that these are about 2 hour shows. I like they are building up some matches show to show. I like the good use of men & women being a focal point. A small handful of wrestlers i just don't care about. Truth Busters seem like a may focal point of the show, which is still semi-odd to me; but they aren't horrible.
I feel like the show is missing a little something. I'm not exactly sure what; but feels very formulaic. Wrestlers come out , wrestler A wins; someone comes out after the match promo, backstage segment , then match, no promos, then match, post match interview, backstage, etc. Maybe even rushed at times. Very easy to tell what's coming next. I'm guessing over time; this gets sorted out. Maybe just some regular in ring promos, video packages, outside of the ring segments could make it feels a bit more rounded.

I assume more tapings will be schedule soon; as they will run out of content soon.

Eddie the heel is taunting Claudio, pretty clearly the spilled coffee is enough to annoy Claudio and he'll want to fight Eddie, which encompasses his title, he is a fighting champion as commentary pushed.

BCC also clearly heels. Danielson excluded.

There's 4 teams in the ladder match, Lucha Bros, and 3 more.

Next taping I'm told is 3/25. this is wrong

For those upset, it's a little early to complain. Nothing is going to be perfect the first go. I'd wait until the PPV and first set of tvs after to really gauge where this is going. I've enjoyed the first two episodes. NCAA Tourney is my priority viewing for now, episode 3 will be watched Monday, likely during Raw.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:30 pm

Eddie the heel is taunting Claudio, pretty clearly the spilled coffee is enough to annoy Claudio and he'll want to fight Eddie, which encompasses his title, he is a fighting champion as commentary pushed.

For those upset, it's a little early to complain. Nothing is going to be perfect the first go. I'd wait until the PPV and first set of tvs after to really gauge where this is going. I've enjoyed the first two episodes. NCAA Tourney is my priority viewing for now, episode 3 will be watched Monday, likely during Raw.
Supercard is 40 bucks. 9.99 for the TV. 50 bucks to watch the TV & PPV. The best angle he came up with for WORLD TITLE was "....spilled coffee....that's the essence of ROH" . It's 100% lazy. This is the real relaunch, so he should of come out guns blazing. If this is the best Tony has he needs to let someone else book ROH going forward.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:26 pm

Supercard is 40 bucks. 9.99 for the TV. 50 bucks to watch the TV & PPV. The best angle he came up with for WORLD TITLE was "....spilled coffee....that's the essence of ROH" . It's 100% lazy. This is the real relaunch, so he should of come out guns blazing. If this is the best Tony has he needs to let someone else book ROH going forward.
Selective memory there
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

What?? When did Eddie turn heel? Eddie had to goat Claudio into facing him; because Claudio; in a heelish way, said he wasn't a man of honor and didn't want to fight him.

Mox is in BCC; and he's a face; along with Danielson... but yet; now Claudio and Yuta are showing heel tendencies. Mess. I'm sure it gets sorted out at some point.

Certainly more good than bad with the new ROH; but it might not be everyone. (Nor is it supposed to)
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:40 am

What?? When did Eddie turn heel? Eddie had to goat Claudio into facing him; because Claudio; in a heelish way, said he wasn't a man of honor and didn't want to fight him.

Mox is in BCC; and he's a face; along with Danielson... but yet; now Claudio and Yuta are showing heel tendencies. Mess. I'm sure it gets sorted out at some point.

Certainly more good than bad with the new ROH; but it might not be everyone. (Nor is it supposed to)

Very clearly Claudio is a face in the ROH universe and the BCC aside from Bryan are heels in AEW. Eddie Kingston a heel, quitting AEW and being anti-establishment or in this case Anti-Honor is a heel in spite of fans loving him. If you watched the build, match and follow up with Mox and co on Dynamite this is very easy to follow, and I don’t even watch on time.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am

Very clearly Claudio is a face in the ROH universe and the BCC aside from Bryan are heels in AEW. Eddie Kingston a heel, quitting AEW and being anti-establishment or in this case Anti-Honor is a heel in spite of fans loving him. If you watched the build, match and follow up with Mox and co on Dynamite this is very easy to follow, and I don’t even watch on time.
https://youtube.com/shorts/t2pCVsd5rgg?feature=share

The fans are chanting for Eddie , so if he’s the heel, then something went haywire. I don’t think Claudio is full blown heel yet, but he’s certainly trending that way. Claudio was celebrating with wheeler, after cheating. Saying Eddie not honorable, despite teaming with him in 2022.

Eddie was a face before “storyline” quitting AEW.

Mox is also a face. As mentioned earlier, feels like we are in the middle of a transition period for the group. Blurring the lines is good in some situations, but If there’s no logic, (IE: Eddie or Claudio randomly turning , it hurts the storyline & product)
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:31 am

The fans are chanting for Eddie , so if he’s the heel, then something went haywire. I don’t think Claudio is full blown heel yet, but he’s certainly trending that way. Claudio was celebrating with wheeler, after cheating. Saying Eddie not honorable, despite teaming with him in 2022.

Mox is also a face. As mentioned earlier, feels like we are in the middle of a transition period for the group. Blurring the lines is good in some situations, but If there’s no logic, (IE: Eddie or Claudio randomly turning , it hurts the storyline & product)

Moxley has been doing heel behavior since the hangman story started. Watch the show.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:31 am

Moxley has been doing heel behavior since the hangman story started. Watch the show.
I've watched Dynamite, Rampage, ROH every week. Mox comes out the same way he always does from the crowd, gets cheers, still acts like a bad ass, steve austin like character. Only difference is he's was feuding with page. Page is the squeaky clean face and Mox is the "anti-hero" hero. I guess it's fair to say they are tweeners. he's primarily been wrestling Dark Order; & heel factions (Butcher/Blade / LFI, Firm, JAS) Acting more heelish with dark order; but plays the face against everyone else. So no, it's not clear.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:51 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:31 am

I've watched Dynamite, Rampage, ROH every week. Mox comes out the same way he always does from the crowd, gets cheers, still acts like a bad ass, steve austin like character. Only difference is he's was feuding with page. Page is the squeaky clean face and Mox is the "anti-hero" hero. I guess it's fair to say they are tweeners. he's primarily been wrestling Dark Order; & heel factions (Butcher/Blade / LFI, Firm, JAS) Acting more heelish with dark order; but plays the face against everyone else. So no, it's not clear.

Pretty clear to me he’s beating hangman and enjoying seriously hurting the guy in character, then beating up his friends while his other friends cheat. Being cheered doesn’t make you a face, fans long ago stopped following the boo the baddies and cheer the goodies if you’re good.
Captain Podcast
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

McXal wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:55 am
maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:20 pm
Thanks for the shout out!!! 💪💪

Yeah I preferred Ep.2 for sure. I thought Yuta/Thatcher was GREAT (albeit in quite a niche way), Aussies/Foundation was just a super fun, balls to the wall, spot-heavy tag team sprint which felt like a condensed, tv-length version of something the ‘old ROH’ (Gabe/Cary era) did well. And the main event was fantastic.

My opinion was that it felt like a tighter package as a whole episode, fewer lousy filler matches, with a consistently higher standard for in-ring quality - and had lots of storyline progression that I personally was interested in (Daniels/Sydal reunion, Kingston/Claudio feud, Trish Adora getting put over, Athena continuing to ROCK in her role as Women’s Champ, Yuta’s character development) versus last week. No clue what the goal with LFI/SAP was though. That was dreadful. Rush beating Serpentico up and stealing his mask after the match was more exciting/effective than anything they did with the TEN MINUTES of tv time that preceded it…

(Although I do agree that there was probably more value in terms of ‘surprises’ and unpredictability last week. Woods/Takeshita and Claudio/Fox were both terrific - and on a comparable level to Aussies/Foundation and Athena/Willow. But I thought Yuta/Thatcher was a level above ZSJ/Blake in terms of story-telling and progressing Yuta as a character)
Totally agree.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Tony Khan has announced that Thursday’s Supercard of Honor go-home edition of ROH TV will be taped on Wednesday at the AEW Dynamite in St. Louis.

tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Why is this match above not a proving ground match?
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

new belt.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Tony Khan says Mark Briscoe has made it clear that he will no longer do standard tag team matches following Jay's passing.

Will only do Singles, Trios & Multi-mans but not 2 vs 2 tags.