Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:06 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:47 pm
KL_ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:26 am I meant 2022 and 2023

So he’s currently working where?
Worked AAW end of Dec & since then just CZW. He should be working all the top indies. Really love his work.

Also, can we dump the 6 man titles? Report out saying Cage is gone after Supercard. So if they throw 6 man titles on that make shift team from tapings, they should just drop them all together.
So no bookings in 2023? I assume he's just got a real job and is happier doing that.

Six Man straps gotta go. Waste of time. I'd let Cage run off to developmental too, he's a fucking twat. Plus as someone who has never done a steroid, I wanna see how fast he loses size. Let Nana manage anyone else.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

McXal wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:26 pm I’m a massive fan of Fred Yehi. I really like his combination of gritty, technically savvy but slightly unorthodox wrestling along with a laid back, aloof character. I enjoyed his brief ROH run during the empty arena tapings and wanted to see more of him. But in all fairness - I think AEW/ROH/Tony Khan already has more wrestlers than he knows what to do with and nowhere near enough tv time to put them all on - so adding Yehi to that doesn’t make much sense.

Just finished the first episode (review will be posted to my site soon). It was fine. I think some of the comparisons to Dark are a little unfair. ZSJ/Blake, Woods/Takeshita and Claudio/Fox were all pretty good and felt different to most of what you see on Dark. My big concern (and where I think people have started comparing it to Dark) is that there were too many pointless matches, which didn’t really seem to accomplish much, and it felt like they went out of their way to put as many matches on the show as possible rather than concentrating on quality and character. Oh, and whoever decided to have that much of The Trust Busters/Smart Mark on the debut show made a grave error in judgement.

BUT like Jeff/AHM said - they’ve got plenty of time to work on the things that didn’t work.

The production looked good, the format was helpful and when it worked (ie when things felt special or showed some personality - like the three aforementioned matches, Thatcher’s debut, Deppen’s fun promo) they REALLY worked.

If that’s as good as the TV gets, and with the new ROH PPV’s not going onto Honor Club for three months then I’m not sure they’ll be retaining or growing that 12k subscriber base. But patience is a virtue and I think there is a clear opportunity for this to be an exciting side-venture. Tony really should let someone else book ROH, but in the meantime he has a LOT of wrestlers and a whole new sandbox to let some of these characters play in. It’ll take some time to find his groove. And if he does that whilst guys like Joe, Claudio, Takeshita, Kingston, Mark Briscoe, Wheeler, Athena and more churn out bangers and fun outsider talent like ZSJ, Tim Thatcher and Aussie Open make appearances then I’m here for it…
These tapings to me, and to people working the show were a pilot. See what works and doesn't. Also wait for that Aussie Open/Titus & Williams tag, was called the best match from the tapings by multiple people who were there.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

There was important match announced for supercard of honor on rampage which is why after watching last week's roh show it feels half like roh show and the other half feels aew
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:15 pm There was important match announced for supercard of honor on rampage which is why after watching last week's roh show it feels half like roh show and the other half feels aew
So because mark Briscoe who is wrestling for the ROH tv title while also still being ROH tag champ announces a match for Roh supercard in tribute to his dead brother it is all a moot point. You must be very flexible to stretch like that.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:06 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:15 pm There was important match announced for supercard of honor on rampage which is why after watching last week's roh show it feels half like roh show and the other half feels aew
So because mark Briscoe who is wrestling for the ROH tv title while also still being ROH tag champ announces a match for Roh supercard in tribute to his dead brother it is all a moot point. You must be very flexible to stretch like that.
All I pointed out was its stuff like this and so far there seems to separate rosters is why people are questioning is roh a third brand of aew or separate company
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am
All I pointed out was its stuff like this and so far there seems to separate rosters is why people are questioning is roh a third brand of aew or separate company

Reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaccccchhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am

There is no law against pointing out something or wondering what is roh in the landscape of wrestling is it a third aew brand or a separate company
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:13 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am

There is no law against pointing out something or wondering what is roh in the landscape of wrestling is it a third aew brand or a separate company

Since you’re “asking questions” ask yourself how many references to ROH were on dynamite
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Let's see if episode #2 improves on episode #1 in terms of production value & narrative. [star]
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Montana

Post by Montana »

Just thinking out loud; Fred Yehi would be a great addition to the infantry; to go for the trio's title. Although i agree, at this point the trio's titles are kinda overkill, given the amount of champions/ compared to the time they air content. Also the Infantry has a military background, which i'm not sure Yehi has. But think adding a veteran to that group, in the trio's division could have legs.

While some of the names on the show today, don't excite me; there are a few "must see" matches in there too.

Agree Trustbusters in ROH; just doesn't feel right. SLim J wrestled a good match last week; but i don't need him highly featured in the "new era" of ROH. I'd rather see some up in comers like Nick Wayne and Jordan Oliver be more of a focal point.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think Mark probably should have wrestled Christopher Daniels to open the show. Would have checked the same boxes as the Slim J match did as far as showing Mark off, cuts a pointless 5 minute match off the show, and lets Ian go into the history of ROH in a meaningful way. Alas.

Looking forward to the Pure title match tonight. Last week it was pretty obvious what the good matches would be, tonight feels it has more potential show stealers.
AnHonorableMention

We all know the man scout match is gonna suck
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:10 pm Just thinking out loud; Fred Yehi would be a great addition to the infantry; to go for the trio's title. Although i agree, at this point the trio's titles are kinda overkill, given the amount of champions/ compared to the time they air content. Also the Infantry has a military background, which i'm not sure Yehi has. But think adding a veteran to that group, in the trio's division could have legs.

While some of the names on the show today, don't excite me; there are a few "must see" matches in there too.

Agree Trustbusters in ROH; just doesn't feel right. SLim J wrestled a good match last week; but i don't need him highly featured in the "new era" of ROH. I'd rather see some up in comers like Nick Wayne and Jordan Oliver be more of a focal point.
I like Nick and Jordan but now is not the time to add more names to two already over crowded rosters. Tighten up the booking going forward. Establish what ROH is and isn’t and supplement from there.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Rhett & Hot Sauce vs. Aussie Open was all thriller. Great tag team wrestling, a must see match!
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm Rhett & Hot Sauce vs. Aussie Open was all thriller. Great tag team wrestling, a must see match!
Knew it would be really good but it was somehow better. Hope Tracy/Rhett get a run with titles soon.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:12 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:10 pm Just thinking out loud; Fred Yehi would be a great addition to the infantry; to go for the trio's title. Although i agree, at this point the trio's titles are kinda overkill, given the amount of champions/ compared to the time they air content. Also the Infantry has a military background, which i'm not sure Yehi has. But think adding a veteran to that group, in the trio's division could have legs.

I like Nick and Jordan but now is not the time to add more names to two already over crowded rosters. Tighten up the booking going forward. Establish what ROH is and isn’t and supplement from there.
Can add them & drop the useless ones which is around 11 or so guys including boringbusters.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

We got an intro & it was actually pretty good. Right to point and not long. A+
Montana

Post by Montana »

Technically Nick Wayne is already under contract with AEW; and Jordan Oliver is one of the top young/free agent wrestlers. I agree the roster is crowded; but make room for these two for ROH. On a similar note; while i appreciate the call backs and using classic ROH wrestlers (Slim J, Jake Christ, Matt Sydal, etc) ROH was great 20 years ago; because it featured the top up in coming talent. I do think from how the roster looks; it certainly solid. For me; i'd rather focus on younger/ with experience wrestlers more than what they are currently doing. Also, i'm not looking for like Serpentico to get "experience" in ROH; although i'm sure that's semi- what it's going to be used for. I guess the key is balance; but slightly skews to the older than the younger. Plus see the champs and challengers Joe, Briscoe, Claudio, Kingston... which is a good starting crop of talent at the top. I'm sure over time, they they'll elevate some younger talent. May be good to have some "exclusive" ROH branded talent. Even if it is someone from AEW: who is just full time ROH now. Like someone like Brain Cage and OGK. It doesn't make sense to have them win in ROH; and always lose in AEW. I don't need them beating top tier AEW guys; but don't let ROH be the jobbers to AEW talent constantly; because they will only lead to issues.

Not to mention, Rhett Titus and Tracy Williams is a perfect example. Give the guys that were under ROH before; some credit. These guys busted their ass, and had a great match. Tracy looked amazing coming back from his injury. Dak Draper is another guy; who seems like someone they can use, rather than just a jobber.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:40 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm Rhett & Hot Sauce vs. Aussie Open was all thriller. Great tag team wrestling, a must see match!
Knew it would be really good but it was somehow better. Hope Tracy/Rhett get a run with titles soon.
As good as the tag match was (about 4-4.25 stars for me) i thought the Athena / Willow match was match of the night; arguably the one of the best women's matches in ROH history. I think this may be the first time i've said a women's match in ROH history has been the best on a show. Never been a huge Athena fan, despite being a good wrestler... but her ruthless/savage gimmick is working for me. She's doing more than say Jamie Hayter & Jade Cardgill are doing in AEW. (Jade is still learning, and Hayter, who i like, just feels over shadowed by Britt still to me)

So all in all, good show. I don't know if i'd say it was better than the first episode; but certainly on par. Liked having the quick intro; matches delivered despite a few minor mis-steps. They are building to future matches, building characters and motivations. Feels like a fairly carefully crafted for now. Supercard is shaping up nicely. Some odd choices like Serpentico & SAP ; although Angelico is cool. That intro with SAP felt weird for ROH with Luther. The good certainly outweighed the bad. The match was fine too. I'll give the show a solid 8/10 again.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Can add them & drop the useless ones which is around 11 or so guys including boringbusters.

Nick needs to finish school and Jordan isn’t going to be used as enhancement the way the trust busters are.
Captain Podcast