Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:08 pm One suggestion I had since AEW has a licensed musician on staff, the esteemed Mikey Ruckus, I'd like to see a weekly b roll music video highlighting one talent. 2-3 minutes in length. Make it a themed segment, maybe solicit a sponsor once there is a baseline number of views.
I hope we get a "previously on" to start next weeks episode that has the major events of last week with some onimuis classical
type music playing that turns to rap when Eddie comes out & confronts Claudio with a fade to black when Claudio starts to walk off but sadly I think it will start like this past week.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:30 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:08 pm One suggestion I had since AEW has a licensed musician on staff, the esteemed Mikey Ruckus, I'd like to see a weekly b roll music video highlighting one talent. 2-3 minutes in length. Make it a themed segment, maybe solicit a sponsor once there is a baseline number of views.
I hope we get a "previously on" to start next weeks episode that has the major events of last week with some onimuis classical
type music playing that turns to rap when Eddie comes out & confronts Claudio with a fade to black when Claudio starts to walk off but sadly I think it will start like this past week.
An opening recap would be ideal. Plus it pads the time of the episode
Captain Podcast
KL_

Post by KL_ »

From sescoops:
Several people were flown in for last weekend’s Ring of Honor tapings, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports.
It is noted that a lot of wrestlers canceled their weekend bookings on the indies to work the ROH tapings, but did not go used.
While the unused talent was paid (reportedly more than what they would have earned at the indie events) it is reported that there was “frustration” among the talent who weren’t used.
One independent promoter told WON that he lost four of his top guys and none of them got used on the ROH tapings.
While the promoter said he did not have an issue with the wrestlers taking the ROH booking, he added that they really should have been used.
Dak Draper was one name who was backstage and not used.
AnHonorableMention

Normal business, Indy primroses whining about ROH attracting prospective talents. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Also: where is the Chrisvegas review? I’m on the edge of my seat!
Captain Podcast
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:03 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:39 am
dhads7161 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 am With Tony Khan's resources there's obviously going to be a lot of talent double dipping. How could anyone find fault with guys like Claudio, Samoa Joe, Mark Briscoe, Eddie Kingston, Top Flight, and AR.Fox being used on both ROH and AEW? Really just nitpicking to nitpick.
The most comparison I'm seeing is when wwe bought ecw and revived in the mid 2000s and the criticism coming from fans that were never fan of the company anyways
From this episode and the three PPVs from last year this feels unlike WWECW. Sure, there is obviously an AEW stamp on this new ROH product but it's being done justice and not being treated as unwanted dog crap like the other situation. Three of the best major shows of 2022 were under the ROH banner and how much time was given on AEW TV to keep ROH going while this new program was being put together? So many people have been up in arms over oh Tony Khan is burying ROH. When this last year did that ever happen?
I agree that it's not being treated like crap, but I don't think it is being done justice, either. Obviously we'll have to wait and see, but a large chunk of this show did feel like I was just watching AEW Dark.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Sounds like Tony said Honorclub had over 12K subscribers, which doubled in the last week or two.

Not too much of a surprise here. Much like any streaming service; have to people subscribers happy; and continuously deliver quality content.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Still have the main event to watch which I am sure will be good. I don't watch AEW so I can't really compare to anything they do. Felt frantic but could just be from not having anything to recap. Hard pass on anything Truthbuster related but everyone else seemed fine or better. If they will only be doing three or four ppv shows plus TV with no traditional B shows like roh has always run, only three matches getting ten plus minutes in a two hour block isn't good enough long term imo. Sort of a weird spot with the ppv coming up so quick though so I get just trying to establish talent. Good enough that I'll be back for week two certainly. And I did like how much stuff they set up or promoted for it already.

Edit: Finished the main. It was good although I think i liked the ZSJ and Takeshita matches slightly more.
Last edited by maxx_powerz on Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnHonorableMention

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:09 pm Normal business, Indy primroses whining about ROH attracting prospective talents. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Guess mommavegas didn't let him use her debit card ;)
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:00 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:09 pm Normal business, Indy primroses whining about ROH attracting prospective talents. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I've seen it yet I'm not posting my thoughts because you will have smart ass comment
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I'm starting to think there is something wrong with you when you call people out over and over after they ignore you
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

How is Fred Yehi not signed? Has he done something to someone I forgot about? The dude is so good in ring. He should be a big part of NJPW/Strong or ROH. One of his older matches popped up on my YouTube feed and it got me thinking about what he has been up to recently because I haven't heard anything about him the last few months and I see he has only worked CZW this year.

Yehi & Taylor Rust should 100% be in ROH going forward. What do I have to do? Sell one of my kids souls? I have one in mind...
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:00 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:00 pm

I've seen it yet I'm not posting my thoughts because you will have smart ass comment

LOL
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:23 pm How is Fred Yehi not signed? Has he done something to someone I forgot about? The dude is so good in ring. He should be a big part of NJPW/Strong or ROH. One of his older matches popped up on my YouTube feed and it got me thinking about what he has been up to recently because I haven't heard anything about him the last few months and I see he has only worked CZW this year.

Yehi & Taylor Rust should 100% be in ROH going forward. What do I have to do? Sell one of my kids souls? I have one in mind...
Is Fred even working anywhere? I'm not a big fan but he's definitely a name to keep on the possibilities list. Rust, I'm good. No interest. Did not impress me at all during the limited work I've seen. Draper is another one who was at tv this past taping but not used. Room there for him once they start firmly planting stories. As I said to someone involved with the first episode, crawl, don't run. There's a chance to do something really unique here but be patient with fleshing out clear characters, roles, and directions.
Captain Podcast
KL_

Post by KL_ »

According to Cagematch, Fred had some matches at CZW, NJPW Strong and AAW. He also appeared once at Jonathan Gresham's TERMINUS event.
AnHonorableMention

KL_ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:27 am According to Cagematch, Fred had some matches at CZW, NJPW Strong and AAW. He also appeared once at Jonathan Gresham's TERMINUS event.
In 2023? TERMINUS was done in 2022. I had no idea czw was stilling running and AAW is running shout out doctor keith!
Captain Podcast
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I meant 2022 and 2023
AnHonorableMention

KL_ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:26 am I meant 2022 and 2023

So he’s currently working where?
Captain Podcast
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I’m a massive fan of Fred Yehi. I really like his combination of gritty, technically savvy but slightly unorthodox wrestling along with a laid back, aloof character. I enjoyed his brief ROH run during the empty arena tapings and wanted to see more of him. But in all fairness - I think AEW/ROH/Tony Khan already has more wrestlers than he knows what to do with and nowhere near enough tv time to put them all on - so adding Yehi to that doesn’t make much sense.

Just finished the first episode (review will be posted to my site soon). It was fine. I think some of the comparisons to Dark are a little unfair. ZSJ/Blake, Woods/Takeshita and Claudio/Fox were all pretty good and felt different to most of what you see on Dark. My big concern (and where I think people have started comparing it to Dark) is that there were too many pointless matches, which didn’t really seem to accomplish much, and it felt like they went out of their way to put as many matches on the show as possible rather than concentrating on quality and character. Oh, and whoever decided to have that much of The Trust Busters/Smart Mark on the debut show made a grave error in judgement.

BUT like Jeff/AHM said - they’ve got plenty of time to work on the things that didn’t work.

The production looked good, the format was helpful and when it worked (ie when things felt special or showed some personality - like the three aforementioned matches, Thatcher’s debut, Deppen’s fun promo) they REALLY worked.

If that’s as good as the TV gets, and with the new ROH PPV’s not going onto Honor Club for three months then I’m not sure they’ll be retaining or growing that 12k subscriber base. But patience is a virtue and I think there is a clear opportunity for this to be an exciting side-venture. Tony really should let someone else book ROH, but in the meantime he has a LOT of wrestlers and a whole new sandbox to let some of these characters play in. It’ll take some time to find his groove. And if he does that whilst guys like Joe, Claudio, Takeshita, Kingston, Mark Briscoe, Wheeler, Athena and more churn out bangers and fun outsider talent like ZSJ, Tim Thatcher and Aussie Open make appearances then I’m here for it…
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:47 pm
KL_ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:26 am I meant 2022 and 2023

So he’s currently working where?
Worked AAW end of Dec & since then just CZW. He should be working all the top indies. Really love his work.

Also, can we dump the 6 man titles? Report out saying Cage is gone after Supercard. So if they throw 6 man titles on that make shift team from tapings, they should just drop them all together.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

McXal wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:26 pm I’m a massive fan of Fred Yehi. I really like his combination of gritty, technically savvy but slightly unorthodox wrestling along with a laid back, aloof character. I enjoyed his brief ROH run during the empty arena tapings and wanted to see more of him. But in all fairness - I think AEW/ROH/Tony Khan already has more wrestlers than he knows what to do with and nowhere near enough tv time to put them all on - so adding Yehi to that doesn’t make much sense.

Just finished the first episode (review will be posted to my site soon). It was fine. I think some of the comparisons to Dark are a little unfair. ZSJ/Blake, Woods/Takeshita and Claudio/Fox were all pretty good and felt different to most of what you see on Dark. My big concern (and where I think people have started comparing it to Dark) is that there were too many pointless matches, which didn’t really seem to accomplish much, and it felt like they went out of their way to put as many matches on the show as possible rather than concentrating on quality and character. Oh, and whoever decided to have that much of The Trust Busters/Smart Mark on the debut show made a grave error in judgement.

BUT like Jeff/AHM said - they’ve got plenty of time to work on the things that didn’t work.

The production looked good, the format was helpful and when it worked (ie when things felt special or showed some personality - like the three aforementioned matches, Thatcher’s debut, Deppen’s fun promo) they REALLY worked.

If that’s as good as the TV gets, and with the new ROH PPV’s not going onto Honor Club for three months then I’m not sure they’ll be retaining or growing that 12k subscriber base. But patience is a virtue and I think there is a clear opportunity for this to be an exciting side-venture. Tony really should let someone else book ROH, but in the meantime he has a LOT of wrestlers and a whole new sandbox to let some of these characters play in. It’ll take some time to find his groove. And if he does that whilst guys like Joe, Claudio, Takeshita, Kingston, Mark Briscoe, Wheeler, Athena and more churn out bangers and fun outsider talent like ZSJ, Tim Thatcher and Aussie Open make appearances then I’m here for it…
Agree with everything you said except I think Tony should book ROH & let a group of guys like Daniels/Whitmer/Dustin book AEW.