Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Even before last night show I keep hearing from some fans of other companies that roh is dead and the it's just a another aew show even though it's completely separate from aew
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

With Tony Khan's resources there's obviously going to be a lot of talent double dipping. How could anyone find fault with guys like Claudio, Samoa Joe, Mark Briscoe, Eddie Kingston, Top Flight, and AR.Fox being used on both ROH and AEW? Really just nitpicking to nitpick.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 am With Tony Khan's resources there's obviously going to be a lot of talent double dipping. How could anyone find fault with guys like Claudio, Samoa Joe, Mark Briscoe, Eddie Kingston, Top Flight, and AR.Fox being used on both ROH and AEW? Really just nitpicking to nitpick.
The most comparison I'm seeing is when wwe bought ecw and revived in the mid 2000s and the criticism coming from fans that were never fan of the company anyways
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:10 pm Watching from beginning now & I must say I’m a little disappointed we didn’t get a show opening or quick video package looking back on past shows as we enter a new era. Just opening with Trustbusters music was weird intro.
Yeah I don’t know what that was. Thought it was the lone error of the show.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:39 am
dhads7161 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 am With Tony Khan's resources there's obviously going to be a lot of talent double dipping. How could anyone find fault with guys like Claudio, Samoa Joe, Mark Briscoe, Eddie Kingston, Top Flight, and AR.Fox being used on both ROH and AEW? Really just nitpicking to nitpick.
The most comparison I'm seeing is when wwe bought ecw and revived in the mid 2000s and the criticism coming from fans that were never fan of the company anyways

You were never a fan of ROH and you type like you weren’t born in 2005. You didn’t even watch the show. Stop talking about what others you made up said and either watch it yourself or delete yourself.

The show was strong, certainly Rome was not built in an episode. Lack of a video intro was something to fix, but that’s minor. I liked what I saw and I’m confident even the talent that SBG shoved down audiences throats will be hidden with roster depth.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:00 am

You were never a fan of ROH and you type like you weren’t born in 2005. You didn’t even watch the show. Stop talking about what others you made up said and either watch it yourself or delete yourself.

The show was strong, certainly Rome was not built in an episode. Lack of a video intro was something to fix, but that’s minor. I liked what I saw and I’m confident even the talent that SBG shoved down audiences throats will be hidden with roster depth.
I haven't watched it yet because i was working and stop telling people who is fans of roh and who isn't
Last edited by Chrisvegas27 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

From this episode and the three PPVs from last year this feels unlike WWECW. Sure, there is obviously an AEW stamp on this new ROH product but it's being done justice and not being treated as unwanted dog crap like the other situation. Three of the best major shows of 2022 were under the ROH banner and how much time was given on AEW TV to keep ROH going while this new program was being put together? So many people have been up in arms over oh Tony Khan is burying ROH. When this last year did that ever happen?
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:02 am

I haven't watched it yet because i was working and stop telling people who is fans of roh and who isn't
Child labor isn’t legal.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:10 am

Child labor isn’t legal.
What the hell is wrong with you? Because you take a lot of unnecessary shots at me when you don't agree with me
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:13 am
Child labor isn’t legal.
What the hell is wrong with you? Because you take a lot of unnecessary shots at me when you don't agree with me

You not being able to figure out how logic and application of logic works is something.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:54 am

Child labor isn’t legal.

You not being able to figure out how logic and application of logic works is something.
I've already reported you on here for being rude and unnecessary shots that you try tell me it's all about debating or having a conversation
Montana

Post by Montana »

Overall thoughts on the show, i was pretty happy with it.

Pro's
- Good wrestling matches (seems simple enough)
- Good roster/talent used
- Enough introducing promos for wrestlers.
- Ian & Caprice calling the action
- The fan's were live and much more hyped than i was expecting.
- Longer than 60 minutes; and enough time to feature men & women.
- Looked professional

Con's
- Not live , thus spoilers; AND feeling like no titles were changing hands.
- semi-predictable matches
- Paywall to watch
- Don't love the Universal Studios as taping facility; but i get it.

The good certainly outweighed the bad.

I wonder if they will do additional tapings before SOH. It looked like they were recording 6 hours of content at the end of FEB; and already aired 2 of them. I tried to avoid spoilers; but i like the idea of the show being 60-90-120 minutes; week to week.

Look forward to see how they shape the tag division. They have the Kingdom, Infantry, The Embassy, Dalton and Boys, Rhett & Hot Sauce, Aussie Open probably work horseman... seems like a solid start.

Felt closer to AEW than ROH; but not necessarily a bad thing. Think Tony is trying to keep the content closer to the original ROH intent. Although with the wrestlers going across both brands; kinda makes it feel similar (also the look).
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:54 am

I've already reported you on here for being rude and unnecessary shots that you try tell me it's all about debating or having a conversation

Stop snitching, go watch the show.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:09 am Overall thoughts on the show, i was pretty happy with it.

Pro's
- Looked professional

Con's
- Paywall to watch

I wonder if they will do additional tapings before SOH. It looked like they were recording 6 hours of content at the end of FEB; and already aired 2 of them. I tried to avoid spoilers; but i like the idea of the show being 60-90-120 minutes; week to week.

Look forward to see how they shape the tag division. They have the Kingdom, Infantry, The Embassy, Dalton and Boys, Rhett & Hot Sauce, Aussie Open probably work horseman... seems like a solid start.

Felt closer to AEW than ROH; but not necessarily a bad thing. Think Tony is trying to keep the content closer to the original ROH intent. Although with the wrestlers going across both brands; kinda makes it feel similar (also the look).

All fair comments, but I will dispel the paywall thing. Every show is behind a paywall except Smackdown. Pay a cable bill, you have just climbed the pay wall.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:30 am
Montana wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:09 am Overall thoughts on the show, i was pretty happy with it.

Pro's
- Looked professional

Con's
- Paywall to watch

All fair comments, but I will dispel the paywall thing. Every show is behind a paywall except Smackdown. Pay a cable bill, you have just climbed the pay wall.
I guess technically; but like my 60$ cable bill gets me access to thousands of show's, movies, sports with hundreds of thousands of hours of content to include, Raw, SD, NXT, AEW, Impact, NJPW, etc, etc. Way more content than i can watch; PLUS Peacock with the WWE network included.

ROH is 10$ and i get a 2 hours show weekly, plus the older content; which i already have on DVD.

So the value of cable is dramatically more. Honorclub is going to be fighting for streaming budgets with Netflix, Peacock, Hulu, ESPN, FITE, Apple TV, HBO Max, etc etc

But like you mentioned earlier, Rome wasn't built in a day; and be patient. But the 10$ monthly charge with the 50$ PPV cost; MAY be a turn off to some people. Hopefully the brand, content, and value continues to improve/rebuild.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Honorclub's value was the PPVs & monthly events. TV was always free. Since those are gone its 10 a month for taped tv shows which isn't great value considering Fite+ for 4.99 (& 2 dollar Fite credit per month) gets you 50+ live shows/on demand a month including wrestling,mma,boxing. I'll stay subbed to ROH because I'm a fan but for newer people it may be a hard sell.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:56 pm Honorclub's value was the PPVs & monthly events. TV was always free. Since those are gone its 10 a month for taped tv shows which isn't great value considering Fite+ for 4.99 (& 2 dollar Fite credit per month) gets you 50+ live shows/on demand a month including wrestling,mma,boxing. I'll stay subbed to ROH because I'm a fan but for newer people it may be a hard sell.
Agree 100%

Also they jumped the price of FiTE to 7.99 to those who aren't grandfathered in. So if you un-sub and resub you lose the 4.99$ price. Still a good deal, if even just for the wrestling.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:32 pm
Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:56 pm Honorclub's value was the PPVs & monthly events. TV was always free. Since those are gone its 10 a month for taped tv shows which isn't great value considering Fite+ for 4.99 (& 2 dollar Fite credit per month) gets you 50+ live shows/on demand a month including wrestling,mma,boxing. I'll stay subbed to ROH because I'm a fan but for newer people it may be a hard sell.
Agree 100%

Also they jumped the price of FiTE to 7.99 to those who aren't grandfathered in. So if you un-sub and resub you lose the 4.99$ price. Still a good deal, if even just for the wrestling.
Yea 7.99 is still great value.

Let’s hope Tony puts more shows on Honorclub. They could easily do a show like Survival of the Fittest live on Honor Club on a Saturday or Sunday at 4pm. And then tape 2 or more episodes of TV after it. Hope he also takes ROH on the road.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:04 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:30 am

Pro's
- Looked professional

Con's
- Paywall to watch

I guess technically; but like my 60$ cable bill gets me access to thousands of show's, movies, sports with hundreds of thousands of hours of content to include, Raw, SD, NXT, AEW, Impact, NJPW, etc, etc. Way more content than i can watch; PLUS Peacock with the WWE network included.

ROH is 10$ and i get a 2 hours show weekly, plus the older content; which i already have on DVD.

So the value of cable is dramatically more. Honorclub is going to be fighting for streaming budgets with Netflix, Peacock, Hulu, ESPN, FITE, Apple TV, HBO Max, etc etc

But like you mentioned earlier, Rome wasn't built in a day; and be patient. But the 10$ monthly charge with the 50$ PPV cost; MAY be a turn off to some people. Hopefully the brand, content, and value continues to improve/rebuild.
The point is cable & satellite is x # of dollars and these streaming apps are x # of dollars. Everything costs something. Regardless of value. It’s just another revenue generator. The ROH of the good days isn’t designed for tv. It’s in the perfect place and now it’s Tony’s job to sell people on it.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

One suggestion I had since AEW has a licensed musician on staff, the esteemed Mikey Ruckus, I'd like to see a weekly b roll music video highlighting one talent. 2-3 minutes in length. Make it a themed segment, maybe solicit a sponsor once there is a baseline number of views.
Captain Podcast