Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

We’ve been told that there was a directive this past summer to create more separation between the domestic New Japan product and the international product (STRONG), with less crossover going forward (including the NJPW Extra show discontinuing coverage of U.S based shows), which may have something to do with Tony Khan strongly hinting that New Japan content will appear on the ROH Honor Club streaming service. This also coincides with a directive to improve production quality on STRONG. TV ASAHI, which owns New Japan World, does not fund the production of STRONG or the U.S. PPVs, so has no vested interest in the international New Japan shows beyond additional content for New Japan World. This all hints towards the possibility that Khan struck a deal for Honor Club to be the exclusive home of STRONG and/or all of New Japan’s United States content, which should become clear come early January when Khan announces the details of the ROH “TV” show set to stream on the service. Source is from vow
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I really do hate that they couldn’t just refund me back my money for left over HC months that remained on my account. This whole “code for PWT” is really dumb & greedy. I don’t want ugly overpriced shirts or to even sign up to that place after the last data breach fiasco. And now I have to register again….come onnnnnnnnn.

At least Briscoes killed it again.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Shanahan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:49 pm I really do hate that they couldn’t just refund me back my money for left over HC months that remained on my account. This whole “code for PWT” is really dumb & greedy. I don’t want ugly overpriced shirts or to even sign up to that place after the last data breach fiasco. And now I have to register again….come onnnnnnnnn.

There was a data-breach?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

KL_ wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:56 am From wrestlinginc:

Wrestling Inc. Senior News Editor Nick Hausman spoke with AEW and ROH President Tony Khan at the Final Battle media scrum, and he inquired about Colt Cabana's whereabouts during the show.
"He's injured. He hasn't been cleared," Khan revealed. "Because he has been wrestling in the Ring of Honor matches, and that was also what the Chris Jericho storyline is -– all Ring of Honor champions and everyone was really all people from either this new Ring of Honor or, in the case of Bryan Danielson, a Hall of Famer and the greatest champion ever, but pretty much everybody who came in there represented the new era of Ring of Honor for the most part, including Colt Cabana, who had been on the last two shows and was 2-0 on Zero Hour."
However, Khan stated that Cabana would have competed at Final Battle if he'd been medically cleared. "I think that would have made a lot of sense because he's done great opening up the show. But he's injured or he would have been [on the show]. He was coaching."
Well... at least that explains something.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 am
Shanahan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:49 pm I really do hate that they couldn’t just refund me back my money for left over HC months that remained on my account. This whole “code for PWT” is really dumb & greedy. I don’t want ugly overpriced shirts or to even sign up to that place after the last data breach fiasco. And now I have to register again….come onnnnnnnnn.

There was a data-breach?
At Pro Wrestling Tees.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 am

There was a data-breach?
I meant on PWT earlier this year where they tried to hide it.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Well ... there goes the chance of a Suzuki-Gun invasion of ROH.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Gresham signed with impact
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 pm Gresham signed with impact
Amazing news. Gresham is a great fit for Impact and Impact will benefit from his skills after so many talents have departed in the last few months. Gresham’s style was never going to work in AEW but I suspect he’ll do very well in Impact. Possible bonus: Jordynne Grace may stick around longer as well now.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Happy for Gresham. Great Wrestler, Great Guy.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Tony still did Gresham wrong. I don't care if the dude has an ego or not. He was the champ of the promotion you bought, he was the one going around trying to keep the ROH name alive during the first quarter when everything was in limbo, and then you barely did anything with him before having him unceremoniously drop the belt to Claudio in a quick "get out of there" match.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Plus doing a 180 with Gresham's character that voids any logic in the ROH universe... just to have him be heel to drop it to Claudio.

Looks like the PPV buys are in for the 3 PPV's under Tony

Supercard Of Honor 23k
Death Before Dishonor 37K
Final Battle 25K

25K for Final Battle isn't horrible, given the afternoon start time; and the lack of AEW TV time and/or build up the PPV. They also had their top 3 matches as rematches. Not the most exciting way to lead into their 9.99 Honorclub / TV show. Semi-amusing that DBD with Gresham vs. Claudio ; did better than Final Battle with Jericho vs. Claudio; although that could just be the start time.

Looking forward to Gresham in Impact. He's probably a better fit there, for right now.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I'd say 25k is a decent number, but it could have and should have been higher even with the start time and the competition.

They announced the dog collar match days before the PPV and literally gave you no other good reason to see it. The ROH PPVs this year are entirely reliant on the Briscoes-FTR and now that it's done, who knows what comes next.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, I’d say decent as well. Impact hard to kill did like 1400 buys, so that’s like 17-18x impact. So not bad with little build.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

My (belated) Final Battle review is now live (below)

https://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/542f ... le2022.php

Happy Holiday season to all.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

So is 'AEW presents ROH TV' behind a pay wall better than 'Sinclair Broadcasting presents ROH TV' on syndicated Television & behind a paywall?

Will 'AEW presents ROH TV' eventually be placed on YouTube? Similar to how New Japan World shows New Japan Strong (NJPWofAmerica) then eventually it's presented free on the YouTube.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Montana

Post by Montana »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:01 pm So is 'AEW presents ROH TV' behind a pay wall better than 'Sinclair Broadcasting presents ROH TV' on syndicated Television & behind a paywall?

Will 'AEW presents ROH TV' eventually be placed on YouTube? Similar to how New Japan World shows New Japan Strong (NJPWofAmerica) then eventually it's presented free on the YouTube.
Depends how you look at it i suppose. In theory; it's probably near equal in a sense. On one hand, at least ROH was in a decent space on cable TV; in most regions in the US. However little/no room to grow. Now that TK has bought it, he's got a incredible roster of talent and outside connections to make some dream matches. So, no reason the product itself shouldn't be better. Still plenty of unknowns, but i think the smart thing to do is to air a ROH: Dark like show or "week by week" with matches on youtube for free; to help drive people to the subscription service. They HAVE to do this, if they don't plan on using Dynamite/Rampage as much.

I think TK's plan is to negotiate with Warner/Discovery for the next contract in 2023. If they don't want ROH; it all depends how they (Warner/Discovery) feel about ROH potentially competing with AEW, as a conflict of interest. Rumor has it, Rampage's falling rating directly hurt ROH's chances. Another Rumor is that Warner/Discovery didn't want Chris Jericho as ROH champion, as he's an "AEW Star". I feel like ROH's success all depends on AEW & Warner / Discovery and can they even break away without repercussions. I suspect the talent share will continue; but i really hope AEW wrestlers don't look as ROH as a step down; like a Samoa Joe; Claudio. ... then they turn to folks like Daddy Magic / Brian Cage to pick up the pieces. Could see top talent, not wanting to wrestle for ROH; as it's a step down.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Montana wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:30 pm
tigermask7.0 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:24 am Need to sell episodes of the new television show into syndication after they debut on HonorClub. This would expand the market past the pay wall & help generate revenue.
My guess is that it's not a good time for them to go away from Warner/Discovery. They seem to be fine with airing the PPV's on B/R live; so i think this is just the first step, to starting recording content; and not have it interfere with AEW angles. If my memory serves me correct, AEW is going to be negotiating their 2024 TV deal with Warner soon, which is the top priority. Maybe TK negotiates additional programming with ROH , on say TruTV.
https://411mania.com/wrestling/note-on- ... discovery/

TLDR: Tony didn't shop ROH to anyone other than Warner/Discovery. Waiting till renewal of AEW programming. Sounds like Warner wants reality TV; Tony wants to have ROH & Women's wrestling show.
DougN

Post by DougN »

So what was the point in taking down Honor Club for the year? Seems like just an odd way to take in less money?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Seeing more potential indicators that Vernado is sealed for AEW. That's my most important takeaway.