Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wavelet Transform

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wavelet Transform »

DougN wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:23 pm Legit question:

Would you have preferred TK just run the three PPVs this year with nothing else on AEW TV?

Or was the ROH direction on AEW TV fine to you?

Cause honestly, all this year has done is make me think ROH is going to be a feeder-system, NXT for AEW. Which is not something I really have time, energy, or desire for.
AEW’s WWECW is a more apt comparison.

I’ve been really impressed with Jericho’s matches and enjoyed Garcia/Yuta. Those are the only positives to ROH on AEW tv for me. The DBD YouTube preview was awesome - that’s what I want ROH to be. A clearly distinct product in and outside the ring that’s not a watered down version of AEW.

Even if ROH gets a streaming deal, there’s a lot of issues to sort through. If they tape ROH before Dynamite / Rampage, it’s going to give it even more of a WWECW vibe, which will (slowly) kill interest. I could see doing tapings at small venues like Impact does, but how does that affect talent pay? It’s clear ROH will never make the money or draw the crowds AEW does. So, if you’re an ROH talent, are you making proportionally less, which will make it a feeder system, or are you paying guys the same money to work in front of a crowd that’s 1 / 10th the size of a Dynamite audience?
DougN

Post by DougN »

Totally fair.
enjoyed Garcia/Yuta.
Honestly? Best thing to come out of ROH on AEW.
that’s what I want ROH to be. A clearly distinct product in and outside the ring that’s not a watered down version of AEW.
Exactly.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:19 pm
DougN wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:23 pm Legit question:

Would you have preferred TK just run the three PPVs this year with nothing else on AEW TV?

Or was the ROH direction on AEW TV fine to you?

Cause honestly, all this year has done is make me think ROH is going to be a feeder-system, NXT for AEW. Which is not something I really have time, energy, or desire for.

I’ve been really impressed with Jericho’s matches and enjoyed Garcia/Yuta. Those are the only positives to ROH on AEW tv for me. The DBD YouTube preview was awesome - that’s what I want ROH to be. A clearly distinct product in and outside the ring that’s not a watered down version of AEW.

Even if ROH gets a streaming deal, there’s a lot of issues to sort through. If they tape ROH before Dynamite / Rampage, it’s going to give it even more of a WWECW vibe, which will (slowly) kill interest. I could see doing tapings at small venues like Impact does, but how does that affect talent pay? It’s clear ROH will never make the money or draw the crowds AEW does. So, if you’re an ROH talent, are you making proportionally less, which will make it a feeder system, or are you paying guys the same money to work in front of a crowd that’s 1 / 10th the size of a Dynamite audience?

Guess we'll see what happens with ROH.... but Tony "COULD" in theory just use AEW contracted wrestlers in ROH as their work dates. It's not like wrestlers are getting much TV time in AEW as is. Once a month? So let's say Samoa Joe is a AEW/ROH wrestler... I'm guessing he could wrestle like 20 AEW matches and 10 ROH matches. Then the bottom half of the roster could be guys like Garcia, Pillman, Yuta, etc, along with some folks from Dark.

That being said, AEW will be the main brand, and ROH would supplement; but hopefully be unique enough and has it's own niche audience.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

At Final Battle, FTR should defend the tag titles against Lucha Bros (Penta & Fenix). Via open challenge or #1 contender match.

This may help sell more tickets in Texas & PPV.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
DougN

Post by DougN »

Totally agree.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

I hated their matches together, felt like they had no chemistry
KL_

Post by KL_ »

As revealed on Rampage, Ring of Honor Final Battle PPV will be headlined by ROH World Champion Chris Jericho vs. Claudio Castagnoli with the stipulation that should Claudio lose, he has to join the Jericho Appreciation Society.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Been out of the loop on wrestling last month or so. Went to log into honorclub & says user not found. Did they send out an email I missed???
Wavelet Transform

Shanahan wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:31 pm Been out of the loop on wrestling last month or so. Went to log into honorclub & says user not found. Did they send out an email I missed???
The email from this summer said they would give complementary renewals of honor club til August or September prior to the re-launch, which I think they said would be in October of this year. I can still log in through rohwrestling.com, but I can’t view any videos. The app is gone from Roku too.
Wavelet Transform

Here’s the email:

“Ring of Honor is also currently revamping its HonorClub program with enhanced elements and functionality. During this ongoing transformation, there will be a pause on accepting new memberships. Current memberships (as of July 16, 2022), will be extended at no additional cost until the refreshed HonorClub platform is launched in early fall 2022.

Fans will be able to subscribe to HonorClub for a monthly fee of $9.99. New HonorClub content will become available 60 days after the events happen live.

Sign up here to be notified of all updates and announcements related to HonorClub.

Note that any refund requests by current members will be compensated with a $10 ShopHonor/ PWTees credit for every month remaining on the subscription. For questions or additional information, please email help@rohwrestling.com.”
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

KL_ wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 am As revealed on Rampage, Ring of Honor Final Battle PPV will be headlined by ROH World Champion Chris Jericho vs. Claudio Castagnoli with the stipulation that should Claudio lose, he has to join the Jericho Appreciation Society.
That stip will definitely put asses in seats and help secure TV for ROH far more than the battle of WrestleMania headliners Jericho vs. Danielson (with the stip that it's the final opportunity for the latter) would have obviously.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:07 pm Here’s the email:

“Ring of Honor is also currently revamping its HonorClub program with enhanced elements and functionality. During this ongoing transformation, there will be a pause on accepting new memberships. Current memberships (as of July 16, 2022), will be extended at no additional cost until the refreshed HonorClub platform is launched in early fall 2022.

Fans will be able to subscribe to HonorClub for a monthly fee of $9.99. New HonorClub content will become available 60 days after the events happen live.

Sign up here to be notified of all updates and announcements related to HonorClub.

Note that any refund requests by current members will be compensated with a $10 ShopHonor/ PWTees credit for every month remaining on the subscription. For questions or additional information, please email help@rohwrestling.com.”
I remember that. I wonder why my User Name/PW isn’t working now. I’ll give it another week or 2. Probably a glitch. Thanks for the reply.
Wavelet Transform

supersonic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:43 pm
KL_ wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 am As revealed on Rampage, Ring of Honor Final Battle PPV will be headlined by ROH World Champion Chris Jericho vs. Claudio Castagnoli with the stipulation that should Claudio lose, he has to join the Jericho Appreciation Society.
That stip will definitely put asses in seats and help secure TV for ROH far more than the battle of WrestleMania headliners Jericho vs. Danielson (with the stip that it's the final opportunity for the latter) would have obviously.
Or a Briscoes / FTR rubber match if they’d used their own storyline and had the Briscoes win at DBD because they were fresh / rested, unlike at Supercard.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I have a feeling Danielson's match on Dynamite vs. Dax Harwood is going to play a role in setting the World Tag Team Championship match for the show. Danielson wins over Harwood and he and maybe a Yuta or Moxley are granted the tag team championship opportunity.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:36 am I have a feeling Danielson's match on Dynamite vs. Dax Harwood is going to play a role in setting the World Tag Team Championship match for the show. Danielson wins over Harwood and he and maybe a Yuta or Moxley are granted the tag team championship opportunity.
You’ve now made me pine for FTR vs. Punk & Danielson.
Montana

Post by Montana »

At this point, with little /no time to build storylines; i'd go straight super card on this one....

*already announced / kind of *
Jericho vs Claudio
Athena vs. Mercedes Martinez

Tag Titles - FTR vs. Danielson & Yuta

Briscoes vs. Lucha Bros

TV Title Samoa Joe vs. Bandido

Pure Title - Daniel Garcia vs. Jonathan Gresham

Dalton & the Boys vs. SCU

Brian Cage vs. Flamita

OGK vs. Workhorseman vs. Nese/Woods

Takeshita vs. Kyle O'Reily

Jay Lethal vs. Kip Sabian

Bonus: House of Black vs. Bucks & Omega.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I like it all except the pure title match. Just throwing Gresham a bone isn't a great look. I'd honestly do Takeshita v Daniel Garcia.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

O'Reilly is out for at least a year due to neck surgery.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:35 pm
supersonic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:43 pm
Or a Briscoes / FTR rubber match if they’d used their own storyline and had the Briscoes win at DBD because they were fresh / rested, unlike at Supercard.
This stipulation is potentially garbage unless it's a double disqualification or the Champ gets DQ'ed. Claudio in JAS may or may not be in his best interests. It would give Claudio a conflict in which to struggle ... or it could go bad narrative.

And the Briscoes challenging for the tag titles at this point in time is pointless ... if we are dealing with logical booking.

P.S. whoever said Samoa Joe vs. Bandido for ROH TV title is correct. Joe is now carrying the AEW TNT Championship as well.
Does Joe need Two Belts? Two storylines?
Bandido as a babyface ROH TV Champion is a moneymaker.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

A third Briscoes vs. FTR match wouldn't make sense. FTR already has three Ws over Dem Boys by way of the 2 Out of 3 Falls match at DBD.