Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Zhuge1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:20 am Regarding The Kingdom -- whatever became of TK O'Ryan?
Concussion issues and if I recall correctly dealing with some unfortunate mental health issues.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:45 pm yeah , he earnit, thats why he was signed.
LOL. They weren't getting Maria without the pity fuck that is Matt Taven.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:35 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:41 pm
monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:51 pm Maria Kanellis, Mike Bennett and Matt Taven have all signed multi-year contracts with AEW.
Happy for Mike and Maria. Now the Taven cult can reschedule their masturbation to Mondays and Tuesdays on Dark Elevation and Dark.
Hopefully being a jobber on Dark is his ceiling. The TNT Title.match is probably just a thank you from Tony Khan for the ROH acquisition.
Thanks for tanking my newest multi-million dollar purchase. Well said.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:08 pm
monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:45 pm yeah , he earnit, thats why he was signed.
I guess Titus and Hagadorn should of alligned themselves with Maria.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

“It was really interesting, my contract with WWE was up in 2018, and I was considering going to Ring of Honor,

I was talking to The Young Bucks and I was talking to Cody just to see”

- Bryan Danielson
(via Inside The Ropes)
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:19 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:08 pm
I guess Titus and Hagadorn should of alligned themselves with Maria.
You mean the guy who makes more in his regular job with the wonderful family, who is presently building a brand new home and the guy who has worked there for 3 years? You need new material.
Captain Podcast
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Speaking of Taven -- anyone notice they were using a portion of Adam Cole's old ROH music (Something For You) for Taven's entrance on Rampage for the match against Wardlow? Taven even did a version of Cole's hand gesture during the "I've got something for you" line.
AnHonorableMention

Zhuge1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 pm Speaking of Taven -- anyone notice they were using a portion of Adam Cole's old ROH music (Something For You) for Taven's entrance on Rampage for the match against Wardlow? Taven even did a version of Cole's hand gesture during the "I've got something for you" line.
Probably a coincidence or licensing bonus. There's a reason Cole got new music and O'Reilly & Jerk Jackson didn't
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Why is Final Battle 2022 in Texas?
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:55 pm Why is Final Battle 2022 in Texas?
A-list market that's being bundled with Winter is Coming. In addition, there's recent ROH history there due to Supercard of Honor.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I see no issue with running Texas. Does it really matter where ROH runs if they only run 3-4 times a year?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The only issue I'd see is the crew and those in attendance suffering allergies, as winter is pollen season throughout TX, and it's the equivalent of springtime pollen throughout the East Coast and Southeast. But things like climate and pollen will never be taken seriously by live event promoters, not when we're seeing Vegas hosts PPVs in summer rather than in winter, or STL hosting the biggest annual winter PPV instead of any other season.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

climate and pollen will never be taken seriously by live event promoters
For example:

Montana

Post by Montana »

So it looks like we'll get about 3 weeks of build for Final Battle. Seems like they have a streaming deal in place for next year.
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Montana wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 am So it looks like we'll get about 3 weeks of build for Final Battle. Seems like they have a streaming deal in place for next year.
So where are you getting this streaming info from? I’ve not read anything like that, and Khan didn’t seem to suggest one was possible while doing media yesterday.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Mavsfan41 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Montana wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 am So it looks like we'll get about 3 weeks of build for Final Battle. Seems like they have a streaming deal in place for next year.
So where are you getting this streaming info from? I’ve not read anything like that, and Khan didn’t seem to suggest one was possible while doing media yesterday.
It's not officially announced, but it was F4Wrestling i thought about 3 weeks ago. Basically said a streaming deal for ROH was forthcoming sooner than later for 2023. Then they signed OGK, Bandido, Takeshita, and someone else i thought, so i wouldn't be surprised if something is in place. I don't think they want to announce it before Final Battle , so they can get the PPV buys. Could be a joint AEW & ROH service on the new Warner media app (HBO Max + Discovery) coming in mid-2023.
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:45 am
It's not officially announced, but it was F4Wrestling i thought about 3 weeks ago. Basically said a streaming deal for ROH was forthcoming sooner than later for 2023. Then they signed OGK, Bandido, Takeshita, and someone else i thought, so i wouldn't be surprised if something is in place. I don't think they want to announce it before Final Battle , so they can get the PPV buys. Could be a joint AEW & ROH service on the new Warner media app (HBO Max + Discovery) coming in mid-2023.
I don’t see them getting on there. Discovery has to be seeing the lack of numbers Rampage already does, and knowing ROH would do even less than that.

Plus here’s two more recent bits of news that don’t read well for any HBO Max deal:

https://www.bodyslam.net/2022/11/19/roh ... sents-roh/

Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (namely YouTube) but doesn’t want to jump into something when there are a lot of options out there. “It deserves something better," he said. He is still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH tv show.

The last part is a quote from the media scrum last night. What about that says “Hey Discovery loves us, and we could get on HBO Max”? He’s basically admitting nobody wants it, but he won’t just put it on YouTube where it belongs.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Legit question:

Would you have preferred TK just run the three PPVs this year with nothing else on AEW TV?

Or was the ROH direction on AEW TV fine to you?

Cause honestly, all this year has done is make me think ROH is going to be a feeder-system, NXT for AEW. Which is not something I really have time, energy, or desire for.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Mavsfan41 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:44 am
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:45 am

I don’t see them getting on there. Discovery has to be seeing the lack of numbers Rampage already does, and knowing ROH would do even less than that.

Plus here’s two more recent bits of news that don’t read well for any HBO Max deal:

https://www.bodyslam.net/2022/11/19/roh ... sents-roh/

Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (namely YouTube) but doesn’t want to jump into something when there are a lot of options out there. “It deserves something better," he said. He is still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH tv show.

The last part is a quote from the media scrum last night. What about that says “Hey Discovery loves us, and we could get on HBO Max”? He’s basically admitting nobody wants it, but he won’t just put it on YouTube where it belongs.
If Warner/Discovery has a new streaming service, and AEW is still in with them, I’d imagine we get AEW/ROH Streaming content for it. It’s easy live & archive footage. I’d be willing to bet Axs would air ROH also, if they wanted to go that route, but I’d imagine that deal wouldn’t be worth much. Either way, I think a streaming deal is much more likely than a TV deal. All those streaming services are fighting for new content.

Why put it on YouTube? That would be the least profitable. He’s had the company 6 months and getting his ducks in a row. Think the preference is cable tv, then streaming, then YouTube.
Montana

Post by Montana »

DougN wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:23 pm Legit question:

Would you have preferred TK just run the three PPVs this year with nothing else on AEW TV?

Or was the ROH direction on AEW TV fine to you?

Cause honestly, all this year has done is make me think ROH is going to be a feeder-system, NXT for AEW. Which is not something I really have time, energy, or desire for.
I’m fine with the ROH stuff on AEW. It’s better than what they’d have in its place. The Jericho storyline has been good. I’ll also say I don’t know how much ROH has helped AEW. If anything , it’s making it more complicated, but would be that either way.

I don’t see ROH as a feeder system, the at moment, but it could change. Jericho, FTE, Samoa Joe as champs, don’t scream they are going feeder system. not saying it can’t, but if I had to guess, it would be a mix.