Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

Taven gets a lot of hate. hes not nearly as bad as Some guys from the dojo like Titus, Dempsey or Hagadorn.

But a huge lol to the haters of him, Bennett and Maria
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:32 am Taven gets a lot of hate. hes not nearly as bad as Some guys from the dojo like Titus, Dempsey or Hagadorn.

But a huge lol to the haters of him, Bennett and Maria
Huh? Rhett works every weekend, and has a healthy & happy family. Bob is retired and works a real job, & Hagadorn makes more money on the business side than PPA Matt Taven. Nobody has an issue with Maria or Mike, two good human beings who earned their way in. The hanger on Taven though, he and his weirdo cult of emo girl fans will all now have to watch AEW to see this goof. Not sure what your point is, I don't work there. I do have a remote.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I love how triggered people get when they talk Matt Taven. Like he's done horrible things to people on their families in real life... yet the logic for hate is "garbage" , or has cult of emo girl fans. Doesn't matter if he's held belts in ROH/Impact/NJPW/CMLL/NWA. Can't wait to see the AEW fanbase get all up in arms with Matt Taven heel work. (although it looks like he's just getting throw in a random angle with the Embassy/ so idk how far they'll get off the ground).
DougN

Post by DougN »

Gonna fly against BOTH narratives here.

I have no problems with Taven as an undercard/mid-card heel. He's fine and serviceable. The problem with Taven is that he's just a summation of all late ROH problems, even if he HADN'T won the title at Madison Square Garden. That alone is a horrendous decision, but I remember people bitching about him strongly in 2013 when he was TV champ for almost a year and won the Prospect tournament. So it's not a new thing that came out after the AEW exodus. People were always meh on Taven. He was never really over, but ROH had earmarked him as a core member of the roster for whatever reason and it's enigmatic of how blind/narrow/obtuse the booking could be in ROH.

If he's in AEW, it's not the end of the world. Kind of gives Cole something to do if he ever comes back. I do find if the conspiracy theory funny: that WWE "feigned" interest in Taven to get AEW to sign him. But I don't want to get outraged about AEW hiring him, but I am just perturbed that AEW is just hiring more and more guys while short-changing the dudes they do have. Even if they're not signing them, how many NJPW or random indy guys get 15 minutes on Dynamite each month? I get it. You want a fun, exciting match with Moxley, but you also have to trust your roster too otherwise why sign them in the first place?

I also might be in the minority here because I prefer Taven to Bennett when most people think the opposite. I will say that them as a team together is infinitely better than either having solo runs.

One more point -- it's foolish to say "he's held belts in XXX." That doesn't mean what you think it means in 2022 especially when none of the belts he held had any notoriety except for the ROH World Title.... which is regarded as one of the true low moments in that title history. This argument is like saying "Miz is a 20 time champ in WWE." Cool, but how many of those reigns actually meant anything? 2? 3?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 am I love how triggered people get when they talk Matt Taven. Like he's done horrible things to people on their families in real life... yet the logic for hate is "garbage" , or has cult of emo girl fans. Doesn't matter if he's held belts in ROH/Impact/NJPW/CMLL/NWA. Can't wait to see the AEW fanbase get all up in arms with Matt Taven heel work. (although it looks like he's just getting throw in a random angle with the Embassy/ so idk how far they'll get off the ground).
First things first, you need to learn what being triggered is, and just how serious that can be. This is fucking wrestling, not the real world where people can have serious life long damager caused by the existence of real people.

Secondly, I have no personal issue with Matt Taven the person. I do however have a problem with the way Delirious and Sinclair shoved him down our throat in spite of the objections from the fans that had actual interest in the wrestling as opposed to trying to rat it up for him. Note: trying to rat it up has nothing to do with being emo or goth or whatever other terms exist. He's a mediocre talent who belongs hidden in a mid card in a B promotion not anywhere near the top of a card let alone headlining the fucking Garden. The idea that this guy would be considered for a World Title at the level of what the ROH World Title was is insanity and desperation by a promotion that lost its identity as sad as that is to say.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

DougN wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:11 am If he's in AEW, it's not the end of the world. Kind of gives Cole something to do if he ever comes back.
Don't hold your breath on Adam wanting anything to do with Taven.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

KL_

Post by KL_ »

Khan said there will be one more ROH pay-per-view before the end of the year, and ROH plans to follow that up with a weekly show in 2023.
https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/tony ... -roh-shows
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

KL_ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:46 pm Khan said there will be one more ROH pay-per-view before the end of the year, and ROH plans to follow that up with a weekly show in 2023.
https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/tony ... -roh-shows
yeah, final battle.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Bryan Alvarez is saying there are heavy rumors that a ROH streaming deal will be announced soon.

(I assume streaming deal = no cable tv show).

Hopefully it’s a major streaming company.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Montana wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:00 am Bryan Alvarez is saying there are heavy rumors that a ROH streaming deal will be announced soon.

I'm just hopeful that whenever it pops up, there's a competent booker assigned for the shows...
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Zhuge1 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:02 pm
Montana wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:00 am Bryan Alvarez is saying there are heavy rumors that a ROH streaming deal will be announced soon.

I'm just hopeful that whenever it pops up, there's a competent booker assigned for the shows...
lol nope, its Kahn doing the booking
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Maria Kanellis, Mike Bennett and Matt Taven have all signed multi-year contracts with AEW.
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:51 pm Maria Kanellis, Mike Bennett and Matt Taven have all signed multi-year contracts with AEW.
Happy for Mike and Maria. Now the Taven cult can reschedule their masturbation to Mondays and Tuesdays on Dark Elevation and Dark.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

happy for all of them, everybody deservers to work.

kingdom was one of the best things in roh covid era
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:16 pm happy for all of them, everybody deservers to work.

kingdom was one of the best things in roh covid era
Nobody deserves work. Not CM Punk, not Kenny Omega, not Kazuchika Okada, not you, not me, not anyone. You earn your job, and you work every day to continue to earn it. The purple temper tantrum guy has to earn it too.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

yeah , he earnit, thats why he was signed.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Regarding The Kingdom -- whatever became of TK O'Ryan?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:41 pm
monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:51 pm Maria Kanellis, Mike Bennett and Matt Taven have all signed multi-year contracts with AEW.
Happy for Mike and Maria. Now the Taven cult can reschedule their masturbation to Mondays and Tuesdays on Dark Elevation and Dark.
Hopefully being a jobber on Dark is his ceiling. The TNT Title.match is probably just a thank you from Tony Khan for the ROH acquisition.