Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

According to tony khan Briscoes signed a exclusive deal with roh
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I thought this might interest you

Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Shirt up on the site for Josh Woods too. Assume that means a full-time roster spot for him, which is great.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Tony Khan's ROH is like what would have been had WWE wanted or had the players to relaunch WCW or ECW in 2001 in a way that would have given it justice but also obviously had their stamp on it. There's a good mix of contemporary ROH wrestlers, ROH trailblazers like Samoa Joe and Claudio Castagnoli, and AEW wrestlers on these shows where you're getting a show that does justice to ROH's history while also putting Tony Khan's stamp on the ROH name.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I don't mind roster crossover with guys like Castagnoli, Joe, Lethal, FTR, Yuta, Garcia these are the obvious ones three are ROH legends depending on who you ask, FTR are willing to fly the ROH flag at the same height as the AEW flag, and Yuta and Garcia are the type of young, hungry, pure wrestlers ROH would have had on the roster in the company's formative years. May have a Rush pulling duty for both as well. The problem is there are obvious wrestlers that you would want to be core ROH roster members but you definitely aren't going to keep them off AEW shows just because they're part of the ROH core.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The problem ROH has right now is that only vehicles to promote to wider audience are the AEW channels. Until ROH has its own TV deal using AEW ‘stars’ is going to be the first choice for Khan as they are also going to appear on Dynamite/Rampage will most likely needing to be booked strongly.

Once ROH has its own stable market in the wrestling world it will be able to define itself more with talent and booking/shooting style. As some have pointed out selling a promotion with Gresham as champion to garner a television may prove more difficult than say someone like Claudio
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Fightful says Jonathan Gresham cussed out tony and has asked for his release last night
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

This whole Gresham being disrespect by aew fans got me thinking wrestling fans are ruining wrestling and are worse then politics because you have aew and wwe fans mocking each other product or fans while impact fans are laughing at both fans
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:56 am This whole Gresham being disrespect by aew fans got me thinking wrestling fans are ruining wrestling and are worse then politics because you have aew and wwe fans mocking each other product or fans while impact fans are laughing at both fans
Ticket buying fans not caring about one wrestler vs. two out dated political parties than affect the lives of everyone in a country. Yep. Checks out as exactly the same. Impact fans can make fun and laugh when the company they go to is drawing a profit. WWE fans are generally old white people and children. Fucking hell, no wonder SBG almost put ROH to bed with fans like this.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I doubt the disagreement was over doing a job or gimmick direction. What I think it could have been is about the sparse dates he was brought in for and perhaps these dates were always very last minute and they may have led to him to have to back out of bookings. Could very well be that when putting together Dynamite/Rampage tapings the ROH stuff was figured in last and Gresham didn't appreciate putting together the last minute travel plans.
Wavelet Transform

Briscoes doing their best to counter Tony's terrible booking:

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... yaq4wrAAAA

"We had to get fake IDs to wrestle" is such an awesome line - best stuff I've seen from Mark in a long time.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

or you know the booking is actually going as planned and is part of presenting the Briscoes is another way than we have seen or giving them a reason to do certain things etc in the coming weeks months. You know like booking is supposed do…..

As someone who has been more than sceptical and critical of AEW and Khan. Having each my time to watch and understand it’s easily digestible while being planned for the long term. Yes things don’t work out like Kingston and Jericho at the end but their are others aka Christian and Jungle Boy that do/are. Does he need to try and create a different booking feel for others than some of the same tropes yes, but every booker has his failings.
Montana

Post by Montana »

You can't fault FTR for going over, as they are on an incredible run at the moment. At the same time, Briscoes match up better than FTR than anyone in the AEW locker room. Maybe even out work them in their matches. The issue i see now; is TK is going to be booking All Out. I don't know if the Briscoes will be used on AEW television. Tony made it a point to say they were on ROH exclusive contracts. So by losing; we may need to wait a while to see the Briscoes work their way up the ladder. Based on the promo, sounds like they want another shot at FTR.

Now if the Briscoes do an invasion of AEW type angle; i'm listening/watching closely. My guess is it's going to be weeks if not months before we see the Briscoes wrestle again.

Believe on the reports also said, no update if Gresham was granted his release, but basically said they had no plans to use him after DBD. I imagine the ROH stuff will pick up if they have another PPV, or show announcement... maybe some random Rampage stuff. Also had multiple offers before signing with AEW/ROH.
Wavelet Transform

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:24 pm or you know the booking is actually going as planned and is part of presenting the Briscoes is another way than we have seen or giving them a reason to do certain things etc in the coming weeks months. You know like booking is supposed do…..

As someone who has been more than sceptical and critical of AEW and Khan. Having each my time to watch and understand it’s easily digestible while being planned for the long term. Yes things don’t work out like Kingston and Jericho at the end but their are others aka Christian and Jungle Boy that do/are. Does he need to try and create a different booking feel for others than some of the same tropes yes, but every booker has his failings.
Tony's doing what every owner who buys another promotion does: Have his roster run roughshod over the other company. It accomplishes nothing and it's an ego trip that screws the fans out of what could be awesome angles / shows.

Imagine that the Briscoes had won at DBD. How excited would fans be for a feud-ending match at Final Battle? There's multiple directions / stories you can tell w/ a Briscoes win that are vastly more interesting than FTR winning at DBD. Maybe the story is that FTR were too run down this time out and both teams are fresh for their match at Final Battle (sensible story given that Dax has a torn labrum). Maybe the Briscoes cheat to win out of desperation, so you do a Fight w/o Honor at FB.

Instead, you cut off the Briscoes at the knees to keep FTR strong so the Young Bucks can end this run they're on. I'm sure another Briscoes / FTR match will be great, but why should I care? Tony's already made clear that the Briscoes aren't on FTR's level.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
DougN

Post by DougN »

My only issue is that the tweets embedded in the article are from a guy known for his raging hate-boner on AEW. Not saying he can't be right, but it's definitely not going to get traction because he spends his free time calling Tony a money mark, as well as other more vile names.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

As for the wrestlers who fought in both Supercard of Honor and Death Before Dishonor:
*Dax Harwood, Cash Wheeler, Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoes are the ones who spent the most time in the ring - 1 hour, 10 minutes and 50 seconds.
*At the opposite end are Cheeseburger and Eli Isom - 7 minutes and 45 seconds (10,94% of FTR's an Briscoes' result)
Montana

Post by Montana »

1 month removed from Death Before Dishonor; and just watch Supercard of Honor from April. A few thoughts.

Not overly surprising; we aren't getting much ROH related going on after Death Before Dishonor; as All Out is the Next PPV.

Pro's

I do think the champions are all on point with the legacy/brand. FTR is probably the top team today, if not top 2/3. Claudio is waving the ROH flag; samoa Joe is kinda non-existent, but think he's been hurt. Then Wheeler Yuta's in a good spot.

Overall the ROH wrestling has been good. Two good PPV's. Great ROH Title match Battle of the Belts 3 with Claudio vs Takeshita

Con's

The booking (Angles/Storyline's) haven't been connected. Things don't get followed up on ; and kind of randomly scraped. To be fair; Tony Kahn didn't book ALL of Supercard. So it's kinda tough inherit something and change directions. I didn't realize how bad it's been until re-watching Supercard.

For Example: Bandido & Chavo - Chavo randomly decides he's Bandido's manager helps him in the match; bandido tosses him out; losses; and zero follow up to this. Maybe/probably because he's not under contract... but seems like they planted some seeds; and never did anything with it. Why bother.

Jay Lethal/Dutt cheat to beat Lee Moriarty & Matt Sydal; Lethal/Dutt later attacks Gresham because he supposed wanted the ROH Title. Moriarty tries to make the save to help gresham. Samoa Joe comes out to actually make the save. Lethal and Samoa Joe enter their feud.... (Their feud went fine)

Moriarty's next match with a storyline is teaming with Gresham; and he turns on him?!? Wouldn't Moriarty, Sydal, and Gresham all be going after Lethal for attacking them??? So why is Gresham attacking the guy that helped him; instead of going after Jay Lethal? As mentioned earlier, no reason what so ever to turn Gresham heel; other than lose the belt to Claudio. At the Supercard of Honor press conference, Gresham waved the ROH flag high, and spoke of his honor, yet turning the following show. Since Gresham's lost the belt he hasn't been seen.

Enter Tully Blanchard Enterprises for Gresham. Weeks later, at Death Before Dishonor; Tully is out; Prince Nana is in; it's now the Embassy. 30 days later, none of them have been seen in AEW since.

Samoa Joe has basically defended the ROH TV belt against Trent (April) & Jay Lethal (July); and hasn't wrestled since.

FTR hasn't really had any ROH angles yet.. other than the Briscoes; whom have never been on AEW TV. The Bucks attacked the Briscoes; and that didn't go anywhere... other than the Bucks/FTR mach.

Wheeler Yuta doesn't have a angle now that Garcia is done as well.

Sounds like Briscoes, Colt Cabana, Blake Christian are signed to ROH. I believe Dalton & The Boys as well.

*************************************************************************************************************************

So what's next for ROH?? Wait for another PPV? Wait for a TV Show announcement?? Think a lot of these early mistakes can be fixed; but needs time/a show to keep everything together. It's tough following Rampage, Dark, Elevation and Dynamite to follow these guys.

Will Moriarty go after Jay Lethal to get his revenge? and/or Jonathan Gresham??

Will Gresham show up again for AEW/ROH?

Is Bandido go AEW or Impact?!?

Lots of stuff up in the air at the moment.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

1) Not holding my breath for ROH network broadcast deal until there's more clarification about DiscoveryWarnerBros. operational goals. Television and/or Digital.

2) How well does Friday Night AEW Rampage perform against Hockey, NBA, and College Money Sports this autumn? Stating this because Rampage is where most of ROH is showcasing. And if Rampage isn't money, then does ROH stand a chance for a network deal.

3) Trying to figure out the path to Final Battle 2022. Is there a PPV between now & December. Is AEW Battle of The Belts IV (October Washington D.C) a placeholder for ROH PPV?
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think your right. No sense holding breathe right now.

They did say that HBO Max and Discovery were merging into a new app in middle of 2023. So I assume that’s AEW’s primary plan, as of now.

I do think AEW will be hurt more this fall with sports back on.

Not sure what the plan is to Final Battle. I assume they run that show. I thought I heard that All Out was going to be a 2 day event, and rumor was one day may be an ROH show. Although they’ve done nothing to build up for that. Maybe plans have changed.